• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2020-2021

JogginFrog

I couldn’t be prouder. Would be his first PGA/major tourney. Now I gotta find a way to San Diego.

He eagled 9 today somehow which is a 394-yard par 4. Pretty sure he holed a shot from the fairway.

anyone know if this qualifier would affect his owgr?

I don't think it counts for OWGR; I looked up a couple of 2019 qualifiers and don't see it listed among counting events.

flyfishingfrog

I don't think it counts for OWGR; I looked up a couple of 2019 qualifiers and don't see it listed among counting events.
I think it has to be an official event on one of the 20+ tours they track - not the qualifiers for any of them. So Monday qualifiers for PGA events don't count and I would assume USGA qualifiers don't either.

I know the Olympics were not counted as an example and either do events like the Ryder/Presidents cup or any of the non-tour events that golfers play in for other reasons like charity.

Always thought the Member/Pro at Seminole should be counted - with the money flying through it, i promise some of those pros were getting more pressure from the partners than they have ever seen on the PGA tour....

flyfishingfrog

No kidding. Long day. But looks like the Frogs will get their payoff. McGreevy dropped a shot to give hope to those at -4. Only 3 or 4 with any chance to get to -6.

Update: Barjon and Springer both qualify for the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines! Congrats to them. They finish in a two-way tie for 8th. Looks like an 11-for-1 playoff for the last spot among those at -4 -- includes tour pros Piercy and Burgoon and collegians Pak (Fla. St.) and Eckroat (Okla. St.).
going to be a dog fight for the last spot

flyfishingfrog

According to https://twitter.com/TexasGolfAssoc, it was a 9-for-1...so maybe not everyone was able to wait it out. Last spot went to the Peruvian Barco, who made a quad on the first hole of his first round and somehow fought his way back to -4 and then survived a 9-for-1.
Good for him-shot some of my best rounds after tripping over the first tee marker

sometimes being loose after making a double on 1 is better than being 2 under and starting to think about 59….

Last edited:

SnoSki

Got off the phone with my BIL (Johannes Veerman) about 2 hours ago. Aside from the expected excitement over making his first major he said that despite casual water being alllll over Dallas Athletic Club the tournament committee/director made the choice to have the players play everything down both days. No lift clean place or preferred lies. He said a number of holes had casual water “streams” running down the middle of the fairway and it made for a tough day for all.

On his 9th hole today of the second round, he was about 160 out but in the trees. He hit a punch that ended up running between two bunkers, hitting the stick and holing out. He said he knew it was his day when that happened.

There was a long rain delay after one of his back nine holes yesterday. He ended up making eagle on it, yet the online score-poster had already gone home for the day and neglected to post his score for that hole online.

As a result his score was actually two shots better than the leaderboard indicated and it wasn’t corrected until finishing today. So I thought he finished 36 holes at -5 but actually it was -7.

He had a lot more margin that I thought. On 18 he said he knew that if he could two putt from 30 feet he would be in for sure. An easy task in practice but with so much on the line he was nervous.

he ended up beating quite a few pga pros so I’m thrilled for him also in that regard.

Now he’s flying out tomorrow for the European tour tourney somewhere in Finland I think. Apparently his flight arrives Thursday at 10:30am and his tee time is 1pm the same day. Not ideal but making the open makes it worth it.

Mean Purple

Got off the phone with my BIL (Johannes Veerman) about 2 hours ago. Aside from the expected excitement over making his first major he said that despite casual water being alllll over Dallas Athletic Club the tournament committee/director made the choice to have the players play everything down both days. No lift clean place or preferred lies. He said a number of holes had casual water “streams” running down the middle of the fairway and it made for a tough day for all.

On his 9th hole today of the second round, he was about 160 out but in the trees. He hit a punch that ended up running between two bunkers, hitting the stick and holing out. He said he knew it was his day when that happened.

There was a long rain delay after one of his back nine holes yesterday. He ended up making eagle on it, yet the online score-poster had already gone home for the day and neglected to post his score for that hole online.

As a result his score was actually two shots better than the leaderboard indicated and it wasn’t corrected until finishing today. So I thought he finished 36 holes at -5 but actually it was -7.

He had a lot more margin that I thought. On 18 he said he knew that if he could two putt from 30 feet he would be in for sure. An easy task in practice but with so much on the line he was nervous.

he ended up beating quite a few pga pros so I’m thrilled for him also in that regard.

Now he’s flying out tomorrow for the European tour tourney somewhere in Finland I think. Apparently his flight arrives Thursday at 10:30am and his tee time is 1pm the same day. Not ideal but making the open makes it worth it.
Will be watching when he plays in San Diego. That's awesome.

JogginFrog

TCU begins play tomorrow at the NCAA men's championship at the Raptor Course at Grayhawk in Scottsdale. No pressure on the Frogs, who are seeded 27th in the 30-team field. They are paired with Oregon State and UAB. The Blazers had a similar story to TCU in regionals, coming from behind with a big final round to earn their spot.

It's 72 holes over 4 days to identify 8 teams to advance to match play; cut after Day 3 to the top 15 teams. They are starting teams as early as 6 a.m. to beat the heat. TCU has early start times on Friday (temps in 70s and 80s) but will be in the final group out on Saturday afternoon (high 101).

Follow scoring here: http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=22822

The women's tournament wrapped up yesterday on the same course. Not sure how much can be learned from their experience, with the course playing nearly 1,000 yards longer for the men (at par 70 vs. 72 for women), but I was surprised at the large number of 9s and 10s on scorecards. Some trouble out there. A few notable moments from the women included:

- Stanford freshman Rachel Heck swept the individual titles at the Pac-12 championships, NCAA regionals and NCAA finals. Only third player to do that. Shot 12 straight rounds in the 60s in April and May. Plans to serve in the Air Force reserve while playing on the LPGA. Photogenic. She'll have all the endorsements she wants.

- In the final group on cut day, Florida State freshman Alice Hodge needed 2 putts from 25 feet to send the Seminoles through into match play. A three-putt would mean a playoff. She four-putted. Even Golf Channel couldn't bring itself to show the third miss.

- Only one team from the controversial unplayed Baton Rouge regional made it through to match play. Of course, Ole Miss went on to win the title--first natty for the Rebs in a women's sport. They survived 72 holes and three dual matches, so you can't say it wasn't well earned...but it was probably the worst-case-scenario from the NCAA's perspective.

JogginFrog

Not a great start for the TCU men in Scottsdale--a quad and a pair of doubles over the first 5 holes. As the women's stroke play demonstrated, big numbers are out there when you hit it into the desert.

TCU playing partner Oregon State is currently at the top of the leaderboard. In a big-field event like this, I think it's a good thing to be paired with a team that is playing well, because it shows you where you need to be. It's easy for a team to win their group (especially among teams seeded near the bottom) yet fall well behind the leaders playing elsewhere. At least the Frogs can see the bar being set.

JogginFrog

Frogs now +11, which is T13 out of the 15 teams in the morning wave, which is the bottom half of the draw. Would have hoped for a better start. Quality at this level is too good to make up a lot of ground after a slow start. Good experience for a young team, though.

JogginFrog

Frogs finish Round 1 of NCAA stroke play at +12, which is T19. While not making the most of early-a.m. conditions, it could be worse--TCU is only 4 shots outside the top 15 (54-hole cut) and 6 back of the top 8 (match play cut). Lots of teams to jump, but doable with good rounds on Saturday and Sunday.

Texas teams hold first and second place, but neither is UT or SMU. Tech continued its good play, leading at -4, and Sam Houston is in second at -2. Both were in the morning wave. Fifth-ranked UT is near the bottom of the table--Cole Hammer was +6 through 4, but his 77 ended up counting when Pierceson Coody shot 79.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Frogs finish Round 1 of NCAA stroke play at +12, which is T19. While not making the most of early-a.m. conditions, it could be worse--TCU is only 4 shots outside the top 15 (54-hole cut) and 6 back of the top 8 (match play cut). Lots of teams to jump, but doable with good rounds on Saturday and Sunday.

Texas teams hold first and second place, but neither is UT or SMU. Tech continued its good play, leading at -4, and Sam Houston is in second at -2. Both were in the morning wave. Fifth-ranked UT is near the bottom of the table--Cole Hammer was +6 through 4, but his 77 ended up counting when Pierceson Coody shot 79.
Pierceson is a real name? That’s the definition of trying too hard.

The good news is they are still in the thick of it despite all those doubles and triples yesterday by the two and three spots (who have arguably been our best two players the last few tournaments). Right that ship, and they have a chance. Celli shot +5 with three doubles on the first seven holes...tip of the hat for staying steady the rest of the way in.

PO Frog

The good news is they are still in the thick of it despite all those doubles and triples yesterday by the two and three spots (who have arguably been our best two players the last few tournaments). Right that ship, and they have a chance. Celli shot +5 with three doubles on the first seven holes...tip of the hat for staying steady the rest of the way in.
I’m not terribly familiar with college golf but I’m really confused by so many “other” scores in these rounds. Seems like a lot for elite players.