• The KillerFrogs

TCU Fans Review of the 2017 Regular Season Home Games

LeagueCityFrog

I thought people could post what they did or did not like as a fan visiting TCU for this season's home game as a way to prep for the 2018 season. I'm sure TCU Athletics people read these type of posts. ;)

Positives

1. Great overall atmosphere. I would put it up against LSU, Alabama, and Ole Miss. I've been to all three. We are different and the quality of the overall experience is first class.
2. Really clean Amon Carter stadium everywhere. Other places we've visited in away games, not so much!
3. Good to see the flyovers / parachuters back. The dual F-15s with the two TCU alums piloting was the best! They should do that every year!
4. The #beat hype videos were very good this year minus Baylor game, too downtrodden. I thought the WVU, SMU were maybe two best videos TCU Marketing has ever done.
5. Riff Ram video was good. Reid Ryan and the World Series trophy was the best.
6. Music before kickoff and between plays is great. Good mix.
7. The ticket people seemed to get people in the stadium faster this year.
8. Bathrooms were clean.
9. Having the basketball stadium open is a great sales point for recruiting and educating opposing fans of the awesomeness that is TCU.
10. Tailgate Guys Area and Frog Alley Area looked great again.
11. Band sounded good, I liked the Game of Thrones remix they played.
12. They got rid of that dumb Billy Bob's dance segment. Good call.
13. Greeters at the door were very friendly as were the merchandise vendors.
14. Fireworks awesome again.
15. I like us opening every season against a SWAC team like Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, ETC. Win on both sides. Just bring your awesome bands next time.
16. I also liked the retro swag that went on sale this year. I bought a bunch at the TCU bookstore and I bought that awesome horned frog inflatable for your home.
17. I'll assume that 2018 will bring back the Flying T everyone on here keeps asking TCU to bring out of the merchandise vault. They will sell a ton of those.
18. New Stadium Club was a nice touch and excellent.
19. Uni combos good, Maybe some new options coming for 2018.
20. In Stadium food selection good again.
21. Tailgate scene was solid again and adds to the overall atmosphere and shouldn't be looked upon as anything but positive. Just keep growing the fan base to put all wanted butts in the seats.
22. I liked the overall marketing campaign of 'Consider Yourself Horned.' Logo and collateral was great. City banners and buses looked great too.
23. TCU staff nailed hosting College GameDay as an added bonus. I don't think that day could have gone any better.
24. Ticket office and Frog Club staff were great all season.

Negatives
1. Not really that much to be honest.
2. I thought the intro video this year was weird and they need to not have players talk in it because at the stadium, you can't hear what they are saying, ever. We tried that in 2012 and it still didn't work. I did like how it was customized weekly to the opponent like the Longhorn becoming ground meat. I hope we chose something different for the Big XII championship game TCU team intro.
3. TCU needs to figure out something for those east siders to give them shade when they build that east side club on top of them. It will help with sustained attendance. A series of retractable awnings would be slick, then less of an eye sore on the cooler fall games when you don't need them and they can be retracted.

Overall, just a great season. So far, we've beaten Texas, Tech, Baylor, Arkansas, SMU, WVU, KU, K-State, and Okie State with a chance to also beat #2 OU AND I really don't think this is the best overall team we've ever had. With the recruiting classes that are coming, we haven't even sniffed the ceiling of where this program can go. My only TCU football program suggestion is somehow turning our indoor practice facility into a subzero meat locker the weeks we know we are going to play someone like WVU, Iowa State, KU, K-State on the road in bad, cold weather. Us frogs don't play well in cold. We are built for heat and speed, but we need to address this expected weather element in the coming seasons.

Here is to TCU beating OU on Saturday with a hopefully 50% purple crowd and launching us to either the Cotton Bowl or the #4 Playoff Spot and back to the Rose or Sugar Bowl. A good time to be a Frog!

Go Frogs, Beat Baker!

jake102

In general I think it's a pretty good experience.

Complaints:

1. The dude at beginning of games who screams "Go" "Frogs" at the east/west side
2. The techno music leading up to every kickoff. They have effectively killed the old kickoff tradition
3. Higginbotham trivia

LeagueCityFrog

I liked the 'Go Frogs Dude' and I like how our mascot is a desert dweller and hence Sandstorm.

I also think it would be funny if we did a staged dance off for a gift certificate where we plant maybe an older looking fan that's actually a really good dancer. Kind of like how Johnny Knoxville use to pull pranks as a masked old man. Give the prize to the opposing fan regardless after everyone has had a good chuckle.

ShreveFrog

Love my Frog home games, but the heat will make me want to move our seats up under the new lip on the east side in a few years. (slightly joking) (hell, maybe I'm not joking.)

MAcFroggy

Yeah it is time to update into music like sandstorm & welcome to the jungle, etc.

The introduction of the team is almost exactly like the Dallas Cowboys intro.

We introduce the showgirls. Cowboys introduce DCC.
We introduce SuperFrog. They introduce Rowdy.
We play Welcome to the Jungle. They play welcome to the jungle.
People run out with sparklers on top of flags. Cowboys do the same thing. I also HATE this part.

It is literally just a bad version of the Cowboys introduction.

Jet Set Frog

The introduction of the team is almost exactly like the Dallas Cowboys intro.

We introduce the showgirls. Cowboys introduce DCC.
We introduce SuperFrog. They introduce Rowdy.
We play Welcome to the Jungle. They play welcome to the jungle.
People run out with sparklers on top of flags. Cowboys do the same thing. I also HATE this part.

It is literally just a bad version of the Cowboys introduction.

I guess this is understandable considering our Spirit Coordinator is a former DCC.

MAcFroggy

I guess this is understandable considering our Spirit Coordinator is a former DCC.

Yeah, I know. I just wish it was a distinct product. I go to Cowboys games and TCU games. It sucks getting the exact same thing at Cowboys games as I do at TCU games. People love to bash on the NFL and Cowboys atmosphere, but it is actually more fun and a better product that TCU games a lot of the time.

TCU needs to ensure it has a college football atmosphere not just a bad version of an NFL product.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Riff ram is great but should be a voice over. From the SEZ the video and audio don't sync. It also jumps around too much. The first year it was done was like a hype video. Not so much this year. Keep it going though. Could be awesome if done right.

Whole team entrance needs to be taken down to the studs, rewired, replumbed and rebuilt. Not necessarily because it isn't good but because it's time.

Agree on the Go/Frogs screaming guy and that the intro video was terrible. I didn't get it at all and I'm usually positive to very positive on our entries. I'm not now and never have been a fan of the single source style sound system. All of media would be much better if the sound was just distributed throughout the stadium at a reasonable volume.

purplealum

Positives:
Great atmosphere
Undefeated at The Carter
Marketing
Bringing in a water bottle
Many, many more...!

Negatives:
Intro video didn't grab the fans' attention. I do really like how it was customized to the opponent. Loved the Dorothy/Kansas bit for KU, and of course UT was good. Hype videos were good though.
Love that the bleacher creatures run out with Super Frog... but is there a way for them to have a little more time to get to their seats before the team comes out? We have a good view of the whole stadium, and I hate that those seats are empty when the team comes out. And, there is still a long line for the kids to go up the stairs when the teams are getting ready for kickoff. Extend the "Go!" "Frogs!"??? KIDDING! Food for thought.
The people in my section hate me because I stand and yell. When I try to get them involved, they look at me like I have 3 heads.
Fans need to stay for the entire game! GMFP wants you in your seat after halftime!!!! I still love the '15 students.... stayed in their seats the entire rain/lightning delay for the Baylor game. That's dedication!
Riff Ram sucked this year, but the guests were on point!