• The KillerFrogs

TCU Basketball Trivia Question

Froginbedford

That '70-71 team could run the jocks off opponents...get the transition game going, the band started playing the fight song over and over again up-temp without the "Rah-Rah" break in the middle, and Daniel-Meyer was a rockin' place....

Wog68

Froginbedford said:
That '70-71 team could run the jocks off opponents...get the transition game going, the band started playing the fight song over and over again up-temp without the "Rah-Rah" break in the middle, and Daniel-Meyer was a rockin' place....
 I was elsewhere in the world that year and didn't get to see them play.  Would have loved to have experienced that.

OmniscienceFrog

I was elsewhere in the world that year and didn't get to see them play. Would have loved to have experienced that.
Stumbled upon this old thread and came up with another trivia question, this one about that 70-71 SWC season. Of course the SWC was a nine team league at the time, so which teams finished seven, eight and nine in the league that year?

May be more minutiae than trivia but I think it's interesting.

Frog-in-law1995

Stumbled upon this old thread and came up with another trivia question, this one about that 70-71 SWC season. Of course the SWC was a nine team league at the time, so which teams finished seven, eight and nine in the league that year?

May be more minutiae than trivia but I think it's interesting.
SWC was an 8 team league in 71. Houston joined in 72. Guessing UT, A&M and SMU were 6/7/8?

Dr.HFroog

He could really beat the pressing defenses and get the ball up court. IMO, humble as it is, I think the '70-'71 team that Snake played on is the best all-time at TCU:

Ricky Hall
Simpson Degrate
Goo Kennedy
Jim Ferguson
James Williams
Yes, what a great team coached by Johnny Swaim. Unfortunately, they ran into Notre Dame and Austin Carr in the NCAA first round in Houston. Carr put up 52 against our Frogs in Hoffheinz arena. (20 of 34 shots, 12-15 free throws) Those 52 are tied for 4th as most points scored by an individual player in an NCAA tournament game; tied with his own 52 that he scored against Kentucky in the prior year. He holds the record for most points in a March Madness game which he set in 1970 against Ohio University. That game has been reviewed and it was said he would have had 73 points if the 3 point shot was in effect. He was an incredible player and dashed our 70-71 Frogs hopes by leading his Fighting Irish to a 102-94 victory.
In that March 13,1971 game Goo Kennedy was a force for the Frogs with 16 rebounds and a team leading 23 points. Simpson Degrate grabbed 9 boards and added 22 points. Snake Williams (who fouled out) and Ricky Hall each added 18 points. Guard Jim Ferguson was also in double figures with 11. The only reserve to score for the Frogs was Jimmy Parker who added a bucket for 2.
I well recall this game as 5 of us freshman departed New Hall and piled into my 1973 Mustang and high-tailed it to Houston and back to cheer on our Frogs. (Miraculously no speeding tickets were issued)
I only recall seeing one other TCU basketball game that was more exciting - it was the best of times to be a Frog Basketball Fan.

JogginFrog

The bottom of the SWC in 71 was the Longhorns, The Aggies, and The Razorbacks. The Frogs finished the season at 15-12 overall but won the SWC with an 11-3 records, the Bears of Baylor finished 10-4 in conference play for second place.
I saw that non-con/SWC split when I did a post on coaching records and wondered about it. Did that team find another gear in conference play, or what?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The '68 and '71 teams (and those between and just after) were awesome. Long live Coach Swaim! Leap always thought '71 team was the overall best team in TCU history. McCarty, Goo, Snake, Cash ... so many great players.

JogginFrog

When I look at the game-by-game results for 1970-'71, it just screams "football conference." Frogs go 3-8 in non-con, dropping both ends of home-and-homes to independents Denver (17-9) and Oklahoma City (9-16 under crafty Abe Lemons), along with home losses to Purdue, Nebraska, and Drake. Then they run off 6 wins in a row to open SWC play.

Also, did something happen to Swaim after the '71-'72 season? Two conference titles in his first four seasons; single-digit wins in 4 of his last 5 seasons.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
He could really beat the pressing defenses and get the ball up court. IMO, humble as it is, I think the '70-'71 team that Snake played on is the best all-time at TCU:

Ricky Hall
Simpson Degrate
Goo Kennedy
Jim Ferguson
James Williams
Anyone remember Ricky Hall knocking out an Alabama player at the convention center. Refs totally missed is 8 people were running down court. As I recall the Bama guy kept trying to hit him in the nads…

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Yes, what a great team coached by Johnny Swaim. Unfortunately, they ran into Notre Dame and Austin Carr in the NCAA first round in Houston. Carr put up 52 against our Frogs in Hoffheinz arena. (20 of 34 shots, 12-15 free throws) Those 52 are tied for 4th as most points scored by an individual player in an NCAA tournament game; tied with his own 52 that he scored against Kentucky in the prior year. He holds the record for most points in a March Madness game which he set in 1970 against Ohio University. That game has been reviewed and it was said he would have had 73 points if the 3 point shot was in effect. He was an incredible player and dashed our 70-71 Frogs hopes by leading his Fighting Irish to a 102-94 victory.
In that March 13,1971 game Goo Kennedy was a force for the Frogs with 16 rebounds and a team leading 23 points. Simpson Degrate grabbed 9 boards and added 22 points. Snake Williams (who fouled out) and Ricky Hall each added 18 points. Guard Jim Ferguson was also in double figures with 11. The only reserve to score for the Frogs was Jimmy Parker who added a bucket for 2.
I well recall this game as 5 of us freshman departed New Hall and piled into my 1973 Mustang and high-tailed it to Houston and back to cheer on our Frogs. (Miraculously no speeding tickets were issued)
I only recall seeing one other TCU basketball game that was more exciting - it was the best of times to be a Frog Basketball Fan.
But the real secret weapon was Bones McClendon off bench…

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
We had some real school spirit then…as is in the melee against A&M when Degrate got into it with their 6’11 post, benches emptied, then came the football team, then the rest of the students and a few of chasing one their hospital orderlies to try and get his white shirt. Unfortunately, FWPD restored order before any trophy was secured.

StigFrog

The original question got me wondering, who was the Jackie Robinson for TCU Baseball? I'm hoping one of you who watched outfielders run up the hill might know.

The '68 and '71 teams (and those between and just after) were awesome. Long live Coach Swaim! Leap always thought '71 team was the overall best team in TCU history. McCarty, Goo, Snake, Cash ... so many great players.
As a small kid listening to those games on the radio, it was theater of the mind. I didn’t get to go to a lot of games but I rarely missed one on the radio. Great teams.

I collect cards of TCU players.
This is a custom card of Mickey McCarty and not an official release but I think they did a great job on it.
There is Mickey McCarty and then everyone else who ever wore purple & white. Maybe Sam Baugh was as good in two sports but he was no McCarty: 6’ 7”, 245 lbs, starting pitcher in baseball, All SWC 2 years in baseball , glue in those great Swaim basketball teams, drafted in the 4th round of the 1969NFL draft by the Chiefs and got a Super Bowl ring that year. Drafted by The NBA, MLB, and ABA also. Came out for baseball one year, the day after the last basketball game and threw a 3 hitter.

Boomhauer

Snake Williams is a great name.