• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: IMAGE: History of TCU baseball–from the TCU Diamond to Lupton Stadium

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Deep Purple said:

Nah, it was still there when I began work in 1994.  In the early 2000's, it was sold and moved.
Yeah I found an old TCU Magazine article about it from 2004 I think. But man I swear that thing was long gone by then.

Leap Frog

Lots of fun at the old ball park-- it's a miracle that they kept the program going until Frogs were able to build and hire a coach named Schloss.

Hats off to Dutch ( baseball coach before he was head football coach), Windegger and Lance for somehow performing that miracle.

ShreveFrog

There used to be an astronomical observatory at the top of that hill. Mickey McCarty hit a ball over it that may still be going.
I commented in a separate thread recently that I remember a guy named Jimmy Torres knocking one out of the park that way, approximately 1973. Seems like it might’ve hit a bus parked up there. I would’ve only been 10 years old but I think that’s what I remember. Do you also recall that? Or @Paint It Purple ?

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

@Paul in uhh - Yes, wall in play to the left field side of a chain link fence that connected to the wall in center from right field, iirc.
I remember the Frogs had a center fielder who wore rubber cleats so he could climb the wall.

Frog92

@Paul in uhh - Yes, wall in play to the left field side of a chain link fence that connected to the wall in center from right field, iirc.
I remember the Frogs had a center fielder who wore rubber cleats so he could climb the wall.
Yes, in play. Steve Stone was one who wore turfs to deal with it. The wall is still there holding up the parking lot next to the indoor.

Frog79

Could have written these exact words. Horizontal repose on the bleachers with no cash outlay.
I remember some early season weeknight games 15-20 years ago in then-newish Lupton stadium when there was just me and and about 6 or 8 other diehard fans up there with me in the upper deck. Times have certainly changed!

Paint It Purple

I commented in a separate thread recently that I remember a guy named Jimmy Torres knocking one out of the park that way, approximately 1973. Seems like it might’ve hit a bus parked up there. I would’ve only been 10 years old but I think that’s what I remember. Do you also recall that? Or @Paint It Purple ?
Tommy Crain hit one to deep left center over the purple wall that is being discussed below.

ShreveFrog

@Paint It Purple - I remember Tommy Crain. Awesome power. Went to a game at SMU at Riverschon. SMU intentionally walked him every at bat when first was open. Then Crain comes up with Phil Turner on first. Wild pitch. Turner instinctively takes off for second. Then puts his head in his hands. Everyone knew SMU would then intentionally walk Crain. Which they did. My Dad, the late Leap Frog, and the rest of the TCU contingent was pissed and hollerin’ at the SMU coach. We wanted to see Crain hit. That was some awesome respect for Crain’s power.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
TCU Baseball Stadium - 1980 I think the purple monster was green in the mid 70's

233650533_3088913328060238_4275313782906271101_n.jpg

PurpleBlood87

Went to a few games back in the 60's early 70's and laid down on the bleachers. Plenty of room to do that back then. Seems like the front gate was always open and don't remember ever having to pay to get in.
If you didn't want to pay, in the 90s you could go into DMC by the ticket office and walk around to the concession stand and go through that door.

PurpleBlood87

Wait was that concrete slope in play?!?
Yes.
Texas' old field had a cliff in the outfield that was in play.
The Longhorns centerfielders were said to be part mountain goat because they were able to run up the cliff and catch fly balls.
Actually they just knew the trails up the cliff.

ShreveFrog

@Paint It Purple - I remember Tommy Crain. Awesome power. Went to a game at SMU at Riverschon. SMU intentionally walked him every at bat when first was open. Then Crain comes up with Phil Turner on first. Wild pitch. Turner instinctively takes off for second. Then puts his head in his hands. Everyone knew SMU would then intentionally walk Crain. Which they did. My Dad, the late Leap Frog, and the rest of the TCU contingent was pissed and hollerin’ at the SMU coach. We wanted to see Crain hit. That was some awesome respect for Crain’s power.

Horny 4 Life

Yeah I found an old TCU Magazine article about it from 2004 I think. But man I swear that thing was long gone by then.
I have no recollection of that thing while I was in school and I would have walked by it on my way from Brachman Hall to Main Campus every day for a year.