• The KillerFrogs

TCU 10th in recruiting

mtmedlin

West Coast Johnny

http://insider.espn....6classmonth%3d6

Not certain if it has been mentioned here or not...didnt see it.

I know historically TCU has been known as the team that makes 3 star players play like 5 star. Since were still getting to know you in the BE, has TCU had a top 25 class before?

I think we were evaluated in the top 30 or so by everyone last year. We will never be a top 5 recruiting program because we don't oversign and a Scholarship from Patterson is good for 4 or 5 years even if the recruit can't crack the depth chart. A quick look at Big East recruiting - TCU has 7 three star players and 4 four stars. The Big East combined has 26 three star players and zero four star players. I think it is fair to say that TCU has a competitive advantage over the other Big East schools as we have continuity of coaching, a good reputation among Texas highschool coaches, a rich local market to recruit from, and as a southern school we have an early evaluation period.

jake102

I'm not sure this had been mentioned, probably because it kind of sucks, but Gary is creating a program that not only recruits want to come to but that high level coaches will want to come to once Gary departs.

West Coast Johnny

I'm not sure this had been mentioned, probably because it kind of sucks, but Gary is creating a program that not only recruits want to come to but that high level coaches will want to come to once Gary departs.

The world is now a stupider place because of what you've written.

Rabble Rouser

I think we were evaluated in the top 30 or so by everyone last year. We will never be a top 5 recruiting program because we don't oversign and a Scholarship from Patterson is good for 4 or 5 years even if the recruit can't crack the depth chart. A quick look at Big East recruiting - TCU has 7 three star players and 4 four stars. The Big East combined has 26 three star players and zero four star players. I think it is fair to say that TCU has a competitive advantage over the other Big East schools as we have continuity of coaching, a good reputation among Texas highschool coaches, a rich local market to recruit from, and as a southern school we have an early evaluation period.

Well said.

jack the frog

Texas Tech 15? Baylor on the cusp?? Aggies???

Just shoot me now, chief.

I don't know much about recruiting but it looks to me that the services pander more to some of these schools than they used to. Paid content inducement I suppose. Either that or there are many more 3 star recruits than there used to be.

froginaustin

I don't know much about recruiting but it looks to me that the services pander more to some of these schools than they used to. Paid content inducement I suppose. Either that or there are many more 3 star recruits than there used to be.
There's been comment about star-inflation on the Rivals boards-- Rivals stars of course-- but apparently there are a whole lot more 3*, 4* and 5* prospects than there used to be. But when I think of some of the 2*-rated recruits that have come through TCU (Tomlinson, Hughes, etc.), maybe the old system was too exclusive, and a little "grade inflation" is called for. At least at the 2* level. Prospects that are truly possible game-changers (5*) have likely been identified all along, but there are so many kids with elite prospects that are not the next Ryan Leaf or Periloux :rolleyes: are lost in the crowd for one reason or another.

mtmedlin

TCUs success...along with Boise, makes me really question the Star System. USF beat Miami last year and supposedly they had several 5 and 4 star players. When we beat Florida St, the same thing. I see so many players who are supposed to be amazing 5 star palyers burn out. Our last few players that went to the NFL, most were three star but I believe that that a couple were 2 star. It really is the fight in the dog and not the dog in the fight... then again with your coaching staff, I am not all that excited about you guys getting higher caliber talent. :)

Limp Lizard

And Fields has just been upgraded to a 5-star! First time I can remember a TCU commit being upgraded after their verbal. Still have to fight the b12 hype machine, though.

TCUs success...along with Boise, makes me really question the Star System. USF beat Miami last year and supposedly they had several 5 and 4 star players. When we beat Florida St, the same thing. I see so many players who are supposed to be amazing 5 star palyers burn out. Our last few players that went to the NFL, most were three star but I believe that that a couple were 2 star. It really is the fight in the dog and not the dog in the fight... then again with your coaching staff, I am not all that excited about you guys getting higher caliber talent. :)

All things being equal, a team filled with 4 stars will nearly always beat a team of 2 stars. Its the coaches that make the difference. Boise and TCU happen to have two of the best coaches in the nation.

Rabble Rouser

And Fields has just been upgraded to a 5-star! First time I can remember a TCU commit being upgraded after their verbal. Still have to fight the b12 hype machine, though.

He has? On which site? I did a quick check of ESPN, Rivals, 247, & Scout and they all still list him as a 4 star.

mtmedlin

Dont get used to it. Once in the BE he will be downgraded to 3 star even if he runs a 4.2 40 and has super powers.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan

It's hard for star power to be all that reliable an indicator across the board with LHCGP. An exemplar would be a certain 225 pound RB ( with a respectable, but not outstanding, 1400 yards his senior season) named Jerry Hughes. He beefed up to 260 lbs and became an All American and first round NFL draft choice...at DE, not at the the two star RB position he played in high school. That's a hard one for the recruiting services to see coming. Sommers, skill as one of the few "master" rated S&C coaches, and LHCGP's unusual ability to put speed where it does us the most good, confounded the star rating system in this case.

FrogRails

It really is the fight in the dog and not the dog in the fight... then again with your coaching staff, I am not all that excited about you guys getting higher caliber talent. :)

Yeah, we've been doing what we've done with primarily 2* and 3* guys. So yeah, be afraid...be very afraid! :biggrin: