• The KillerFrogs

Targeting-officiating

gp4prez

the targeting call on Boesen was so wrong. He lead with his hands and made incidental contact, mostly with his face mask, into the smu qb's helmet. That was called targeting, however in the Baylor game a BU player hit the Duke QB in the head with the crown of his helmet while the QB was sliding and wasn't ejected after review. NCAA needs to clearly define and re-educate refs across the board. That was totally ridiculous!

82 Frog Fever

I agree with you. There were 2 angles shown on the Boesen replay. One clearly showed the hands first, the head followed but it didn't look like there was anything other than incidental,contact. The other angle was from behind and you couldn't even see his hands.

Pharm Frog

This targeting rule is just stupid. Couple that with a bad call and it is really stupid. It didn't look to me like he had anything more than incidental contact with the QB's facemask while hitting him with his arms.

Just have to go low. And by low I mean knee-thigh high. If you go chest high and they duck, you still get bit by the rule. Once a few Heisman-type QBs have their knees blown up (and receivers too) maybe they'll start doing a better job of ensuring everyone is on the same page with what constitutes targeting (or spearing from my day). There were several times in the second half when Frog players just pulled up rather than driving toward contact.

Big Frog II

This rule doesn't take in account someone going down. The helmet to helmet becomes incidental. Someone launching themselves to hurt someone is an entirely different matter.

Mean Purple

the targeting call on Boesen was so wrong. He lead with his hands and made incidental contact, mostly with his face mask, into the smu qb's helmet. That was called targeting, however in the Baylor game a BU player hit the Duke QB in the head with the crown of his helmet while the QB was sliding and wasn't ejected after review. NCAA needs to clearly define and re-educate refs across the board. That was totally ridiculous!
I saw the same thing. Ran frame by frame on rewind. TCU needs to appeal that call. It was crap. So was the hands to the face before that.

Shorty

CALM DOWN EVERYBODY
3082646.gif

tcumaniac

Felt like I was the only one pissed off about this in my section.

So darning stupid.

I appreciate the targeting rule and the intentions behind it, but this was just a clean, harmless football play. To call it a penalty is silly. To eject him for that was asinine. To make him sit out part of the next game is absolute absurdity.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It's a stupid rule and should be tossed completely. Why? Because there are as many interpretations as there are game officials, and guys are ejected for piddling crap like this and others who spear guys in the ear-hole go unpunished. Bad rules serve no purpose, save to enrage all concerned. And I don't care a whit that the rulesmakers had good intentions, it's a bad rule because it does no real good and a great deal of harm.

Zubaz

CTE is a major major issue that, despite the recent focus and efforts, is still probably under-monitored considering the damage that it causes. I'd rather err on the side of caution and avoid the long term implications of those hits. This is especially true considering the age group that participates in college football.

Boesen committed a targeting penalty. It wasn't the nastiest hit in the world, it wasn't the "spearing" of days gone by, and it certainly wasn't intentional, but it was definitely targeting. I understand the frustration, and losing him for a half sucks, but I much prefer it to the alternative.

ifrog

I was at the stadium and watched the review and it did look like he slightly lowered his head before the hit. I was fine with the call. I'm not fine with making him sit out the next half of the game. They need to change that.

PO Frog

I like the idea of the rule but college officiating is so awful across the board that I don't trust it to ever be applied fairly. I don't think anyone should miss any game time until some sort of committee can review the infraction. If the play was that egregious, then the committee can make the player sit the next game. Not fair to the kids IMO.