• The KillerFrogs

Steven A. Smith on Newton vs Dalton

SnoSki

Not sure how andy doesn't win it. Bengals were terrible last year and the panthers record is about the same as it was last year. Wins matter don't they?

maximilian

Not sure how andy doesn't win it. Bengals were terrible last year and the panthers record is about the same as it was last year. Wins matter don't they?

For a team, yes. For a coaching staff, yes. For a QB, no. Too many variables that are out of his control one way or the other.

SnoSki

so newton throws as many TDs as picks and leads his team to a stunning 5 wins while Dalton takes a 2 win bengals team to 9-7 and maybe playoffs +/- and you think newton is more worthy?

kidkarr

I agree, but they rarely ever win. Going to Cam Newton

On pace on pace for 20 passing TDs, 15 rushing TDs, 4250 yards passing yards and 700 rushing yards :eek:hmy:

Cam is having a far better season than most expected, but his stats are a little inflated because the panthers are always getting blown out (or in a shoot out at the very least). Andy's team is running the ball tring to control the clock so they can win games. I think wins do matter just ask Orten and Tebow.

cdsfrog

so newton throws as many TDs as picks and leads his team to a stunning 5 wins while Dalton takes a 2 win bengals team to 9-7 and maybe playoffs +/- and you think newton is more worthy?

Dalton will end up with a few less picks and maybe 1 more passing TD. I love Dalton (no homo) but losing to a Texans team that is just not good with that a 3rd string QB ended his ROY chances.

I personally prefer Dalton in the red zone, he is much more conservative in the red zone and makes very few mistakes inside the opponents 20 yard line. Also obviously I am a Dalton homer but short of him winning the next 3 straight I see him ending #2 in ROY votes.

maximilian

There's more to it than that.

Bengals = 6th in total defense
Panthers = 23rd

AJ Green is better than anyone the Panthers have at WR. Steve Smith is relevant only because he finally has a QB that can throw him the ball. AJ has saved Andy a few picks this year by getting the ball over the top of DB's on under thrown deep balls.

And someone brought it up already, but Cam has 13 TD and 600+ yards on the ground. Andy has 87 yards and 1 TD.

Remember, this is an individual award, not a team one.