• The KillerFrogs

Starting in a hole

WIN

we should take the ball if we win the toss? We all know this is not the same defensive oriented teams as in the past maybe we should start with our strength the offense.

FrankDMaynard

Absolutely! Take the ball if we win the coin toss and run the hurry up offense until we are up by 4 touchdowns. Then, run the ball the rest of the game!! :ph34r:

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
we should take the ball if we win the toss? We all know this is not the same defensive oriented teams as in the past maybe we should start with our strength the offense.

Not to second guess him, but I remarked that LHCGP said, when asked in his preesser, that he "always" defers.. something along the lines of "to see how the game is going", and I then asked any coaches to explain if this was like the defensive equivalent of "the 10 scripted plays on offense" Bill Walsh was so famous for always running his first series?

But, there were no takers. Maybe some ex-coach will catch this post and enlighten us.

What can observing the other team's first drive RIGHT NOW tell you that is more important than (supposedly) playing to your teams strengths and weaknesses this season? I mean, if they are down 7-0, will they run something else than they would have before?

Leap Frog

Ask my group- I've been calling for this all year. If I'm not wrong, we have won every toss and deferred. Our offense is our greatest strength.

HFrog1999

If you defer, you get the ball first in the second half. Therefore, in the most important part of the game, you get to start off on offense.

Frogs1983

Deferred to ULM,they marched down the field and scored. Deferred to Portland State,they marched down the field and scored.
Not sure about SMU,missed the coin toss.Did we defer as well to them?They obviously marched down the field and scored.

Don't understand why CGP continues this philosophy with this D?

OmniscienceFrog

Deferred to ULM,they marched down the field and scored. Deferred to Portland State,they marched down the field and scored.
Not sure about SMU,missed the coin toss.Did we defer as well to them?They obviously marched down the field and scored.

Don't understand why CGP continues this philosophy with this D?

Well, look at it this way, based on our first half defensive play this year. If you defer and give the opponent the ball first and they score, you're down 3 or 7 points with the whole game to go, but you get the ball first in the second half. If you defer and you're down 10 or more at the half at least you don't have to worry about the opponent putting you in a huge hole on the first possession of the second half (assuming they don't score with you receiving the kickoff anyway). :ph34r:

asleep003

Been with this since the Portland St. game... when it was evident, then, there was
absolutely no reason to defer. Lets swallow our D ego and give the ball to the guys
that are leading this team... Plus we may have the ball one extra time over opponet,
before half, for a score, than otherwise. And now, we can start a 2nd half on D and
can surely know what the D is going to be dealing with. But doubt GP is listening in.

Cheers !

WIN

Been with this since the Portland St. game... when it was evident, then, there was
absolutely no reason to defer. Lets swallow our D ego and give the ball to the guys
that are leading this team... Plus we may have the ball one extra time over opponet,
before half, for a score, than otherwise. And now, we can start a 2nd half on D and
can surely know what the D is going to be dealing with. But doubt GP is listening in.

Cheers !

Make the defense "earn" the right to start the game, would have to say so far that has not been the case.

HoustonHornedFrog

If you defer, you get the ball first in the second half. Therefore, in the most important part of the game, you get to start off on offense.

As they say the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.

TCU had closed the gap to 7 points at the end fo the first half and were set to receive in the 2nd. Perfect plan right? Get the kickoff return,
which is the thing we have done best this year, and take it down to tie the score. But alas, a fumble and a TD the other way
and we were now in the hole 14.

Generally I agree with you, BUT if you have started in a hole in all but one game this year going that way, maybe it's time for a change.
The bottom line is, if you don't make the plays you don't win the game.

staypurple12

If you "win" the toss and defer then the other side has the choice to receive or kick. If they choose to receive then you get to set the direction of play for the game and if weather or stadium set-up is a factor this can be an advantage. By deferring (and the other team chooses to receive) you get to decide what you want to do to start the second half. I've seen teams up big or in very windy conditions where field position is so valuable elect to kickoff so they can keep the field flipped to the other team for the 3rd quarter. There are lots of strategies involved.

Patterson probablydefers because the recent history of our program is strong defense and a 3 and out to start the game and thus opportunity to establish field position that way. I can't argue with those that would like to see a change in this strategy. However, there have been some major gaffs on kickoff return this year (very Jekyl and Hyde).

On a positive note....lots of programs have a re-building year. Don't forget about what our Austin neighbors recently went through. We should be very good as our young secondary grows up over the next couple of years. What we lose this year is minimum considering what we gain in experience for next season.