• The KillerFrogs

Spring football (the place for not so inside information)

McFroggin

Our lineman (O-line mainly) in recent history have often looked like just big fat guys. Barely any muscle tone, big belly hanging over their belt, etc.

I know weight is generally a good thing for an O-lineman, but I have a hard time believing a player would be more effective at 340 pounds than at 310 pounds. Maybe in certain cases I guess, but not often.

If I ask my 3 year old to move some dumbbells in my make-shift carpeted gym, the effort and form to move the 40lbs vs the 10lbs in readily apparent.

Pass blocking guards sometimes just need to not be moved.

Eight

some news from spring practice via the free sources

john lanz according to 247 front page has been moved to center and is getting the bulk of the snaps at this time. will be interesting to see if the move sticks and if so, who steps forward at the guard positions

cornerback has shown the potential for quality depth with helm and canada flashing the talent that made them highly regarded recruits/transfers. juco mason white has also stood out and dykes mentioned the potential of having 4 legit, quality corners next fall when newton is back up to full speed (steven johnson -fwst)

besides major everhart flashing talent at wr, jordan hudson has done some good things at the x-position and don't be surprised if frosh wr jordyn bailey gets some time at the slot position (sj-fwst)

finally, sanders, bailey, and battle have all shown positive things at rb so far (sj-fwst)

Eight

one other bit from the steven johnson and the fwst that i forgot which could be a very big deal next fall is the size-speed- potential combo flashed by jonathan bax at olb

last fall i wrote in the 2023 recruiting thread that bax had the potential to fill a void this team had in the defensive front. then when i saw some of the tape from his senior season and the numbers he posted i really felt he was really underrated as a recruit and one of those guys who is a perfect fit for the defensive scheme he was recruited to play

words out of spring camp are very positive about bax and while i am not ready to say he is going to have the same kind of season for the frogs in 2023 that devonte' fields did for the frogs defense in 2012 i will say that if the positive development through the spring continues and 3-4 months working with kaz stacked on top of a positive spring packet, he will be the most impactful frosh the frogs have had in their defensive front on the edge since fields

CryptoMiner

OL looks like:
LT Brandon Coleman 6-6 325
LG Altrique Barlow 6-5 360
C John Lanz 6-4 320
RG Noah Bolticoff 6-4 306
RT Andrew Coker 6-7 316

Coker and Coleman swap spots a lot
Willis Patrick 6-4 347 making a strong push at RG
Want to hear more from Brockermeyer and Williams

Last edited:

Eight

Also apparently Dam is really liking attacking from the edge and having good success there.

curious how much of this comes from that georgia game and how the dawgs would move a player like curry around their line to create match-up problems

do believe if this unit is healthy coming out of spring, they keep building depth, and some players step forward and this unit will be a different animal when the prime time show comes to town versus that group that played in the first half in boulder

Eight

OL looks like:
LT Brandon Coleman 6-6 325
LG Altrique Barlow 6-5 360
C John Lanz 6-4 320
RG Noah Bolticoff 6-4 306
RT Andrew Coker 6-7 316

Coker and Coleman swap spots a lot
Willis Patrick 6-4 347 making a strong push at RG
Want to here more from Brockermeyer and Williams

noticed that from the clips, barlow is a wiiiidde body at left guard and am very curious how he and bolticoff develop

curious how nichols is progressing as he seemed like a potential schlottman type who could fit anywhere on the line

that knee seems to slow williams last year

agree, would love to see a second unit step up

2themax

Sounds and looks like the Frogs are going bigger on both fronts.
Shocked Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network