• The KillerFrogs

Speculating....

JugbandFrog

To me Morris looked quicker. Max is the more physical runner and might have better top end speed, but Morris is quicker, more accurate, and probably reads the defense quicker and better. Accuracy is king when it comes to the QB which is why I think Morris might get the nod. The freshman QB looked really fast though when he came in.
I don't know what Morris' "injury" was, but for that to keep him out for those games doesn't bode well for his toughness.

PineyWoodsFrog

If Dykes can get that part fixed, or at least improved, my guess is he could go with Max because it makes him a huge dual threat.
IMO, Morris seemed to just have a better feel for how the position should be played. Even if Duggan fixed the accuracy issue, there are things beyond throwing the ball on target that I have not seen in 3 years that I saw from Morris in 1 game - fitting the ball in between defenders like behind the linebacker and in front of the safety, which is essential in protecting the receiver and limiting the chances of the ball being broken up (I value ball placement more than accuracy. You can throw the ball on target and still get your receiver blasted. Sometimes you have to throw the ball a bit behind the receiver to avoid collisions and pass break-ups, which I saw from Morris), better timing, the ability to continue to look downfield when the play breaks down and you have to scramble, overall just a better playmaker from the position. 3 years as a starter is enough sample size for me to know what we are getting. Recent history shows that our QB should pop by at least year 3 if they start as a freshman. Dalton - year 3, Boykin - year 3.

Strat Frog

Jake Haener, the Fresno State QB who entered the portal yesterday. Probably headed to Udub with his coach, but maybe good for Sonny to evaluate him

FrogCop19

IMO, Morris seemed to just have a better feel for how the position should be played. Even if Duggan fixed the accuracy issue, there are things beyond throwing the ball on target that I have not seen in 3 years that I saw from Morris in 1 game - fitting the ball in between defenders like behind the linebacker and in front of the safety, which is essential in protecting the receiver and limiting the chances of the ball being broken up (I value ball placement more than accuracy. You can throw the ball on target and still get your receiver blasted. Sometimes you have to throw the ball a bit behind the receiver to avoid collisions and pass break-ups, which I saw from Morris), better timing, the ability to continue to look downfield when the play breaks down and you have to scramble, overall just a better playmaker from the position. 3 years as a starter is enough sample size for me to know what we are getting. Recent history shows that our QB should pop by at least year 3 if they start as a freshman. Dalton - year 3, Boykin - year 3.
Agreed with all this. I think someone else in another thread put it better than I could when they said the game just seems to slow down for Morris like it never did for Max. Don't get me wrong, if it wasn't for his struggles with the long ball, I really think Max would be the top choice. Max's struggles might have something to do with the fact that he was running for his life most times, but he always seemed...rushed or in a panic while Morris seemed to have the time to do his checks, make a decision, and get rid of the ball with accuracy.

CountryFrog

I don't disagree with any if this. I said at the time that game by Morris was the best by a TCU QB since 2015. But it was still only 1 game. Morris may well be better than Duggan but I do think there has been tremendous improvement in Max since his freshman year.

The new staff and new offense basically put them both back to the starting blocks. It will be very interesting to see how it shakes out between those 2 or if there is a wild card that gets thrown into the mix that we don't yet know about.