• The KillerFrogs

Southwest just cancelled 2/3rds of their flights Today

Metropolis777

It looks like SWA does realize the demand for the nonstops from Texas to PHX.

From DAL, AUS, HOU & SAT there are 21 scheduled flights today. Only 3 have been canceled so far. None out of Love Field canceled yet.

6 have already flown out today and only 2 canceled so far.

Fingers crossed for everyone.
3:10 CST update

21 flights from DAL, AUS, HOU & SAT are scheduled today. Only 3 canceled so far. At this point 5 have left on time and 5 have been delayed various amounts but flew.

Only cancellations have been 8:30a out of HOU, 12:45p out of SAT (last of the day), and 6:10a out of AUS (first of the day) Both those HOU & SAT flights are also canceled for tomorrow.

Keep praying!

Last edited:

NewFrogFan

Not sure I want to know how commons these MELs are
Very common. Many times I told a Mx Sup, “my job to break jet, your job to repair, you don’t tell me what I will fly, I won’t tell you what to sign off”. Captains Authority, it’s law, not subject to negotiation at the airplane. With me “pilot pushing” was an instant bad deal.

What MEL’s don’t do is factor in extenuating circumstances nor do they really say much about if there are multiple issues. Personally my pet peeve was APU’s in hot weather, terrain, night etc, if I don’t like 90 degree house, most pax won’t like a 90 degree airplane.

Single A/C pack ops on long flights…..DFW/SEA, could restrict airplane to lower altitude, once again cabin temp becomes a problem but a rapid D over mountains not near as “good” as one over flat terrain. My question when I would turn this kind of jet down would be to change aircraft schedule to fly back and forth to OKC, short destination that allowed for much lower flight plan, until repaired at a Mx base/hub. You would be stunned to see how many in maintenance/scheduling try to say no way to such a logical idea. I would then refer them to rule 1 from above.

NewFrogFan

Must be cautious about base-base flights. SWA (or any airline) will "bump" paying passengers if necessary in order to position crews. So, just because a flight is not canceled doesn't mean everyone will be accommodated.
Airlines are way more worried about this very issue now since UAL made the entire industry famous. Not saying it won’t happen but someone will have to explain a pos space DH bumping a pax off a jet and they may have already been through multiple sched changes.

Oh man, this made me laugh way too hard, I’m cry-giggling. I read the original post and was like what the hell does any of that mean?

I figured I was just a dumbarse for not being able to figure it out, then I got down to your post and thought you were going to have some intelligent commentary on his post as if you knew what it meant, only to read that. Just

I noticed today that virtually of the PM flights on 30Dec DFW PHX are now oversold. All it takes now is one mechanical somewhere in the line and a bunch of people get hosed. AA NEVER gets out front w aircraft scheduling and subs a WB to literally soak up 2 NB flying w multiple mel’s.
In my experience at AA, all the NBs have become WBs.... oh you mean aircraft not FAs

tcudoc

Airlines are way more worried about this very issue now since UAL made the entire industry famous. Not saying it won’t happen but someone will have to explain a pos space DH bumping a pax off a jet and they may have already been through multiple sched changes.
I also believe that the DH rule is a POS. It takes all of the strategy out of the game. The UAL (Umpires of the American League) did make it famous, but really more infamous, if you ask me.

Metropolis777

5:10pm CST update 21 flights from DAL, AUS, HOU & SAT are scheduled today.

Still only 3 canceled so far. At this point 5 have left on time (a sixth looks to be leaving on time out of DAL) and 5 have been delayed various amounts but flew.

Only cancellations have been 8:30a out of HOU, 12:45p out of SAT (last of the day), and 6:10a out of AUS (first of the day) Both those HOU & SAT flights are also canceled for tomorrow.

Everything out of AUS is delayed but looks to fly. 1 delay out of HOU. The late ones out of DAL look to be delayed tonight.

Keep praying!

kreece

So, Southwest is screwed for the next few days and no guarantees on any of the flights to Phoenix. I can't say why, but it's going to mess things up for all of the US and there is a very strong chance that it will affect things negatively till the 31st. I would start looking at driving. We have already rented an SUV and will have room for two if someone wants to make the 17-hour drive with us. 14 for those in Fort Worth. I also still have an extra bedroom in the guest house we rented. Mainly wanted to get this out for those that got the SW message a little while ago. If you want to catch a ride, we are leaving on Thursday before noon so probably DFW by 4. Just IM me if you want to split some gas and help drive.
This is Kevin Reece with WFAA Channel 8 in Dallas. Looking for Frogs in this travel snafu we could Zoom with tonight. kreece@wfaa.com