• The KillerFrogs

Sonny Dykes the benefactor?

Toad Jones

It's Donati's program to make some recommendations with the help of three or four trusted alumni then head to the top floor, but before he starts that journey, I recommend a short three-day coastal trip. Maybe his head from the fractured alumni, fans, and media a decision we ALL can live with!

And if that is the case, we don't need to spend the money on a recruiting agency when the decision has already been made to show due diligence.

East Coast

Tier 1
These posters just don’t like the hire and are going to blame the staff no matter what. The 2020 and 2021 classes were so bad that it’s almost criminal. Especially on the OL and DL. Go find a player from those classes that is still around and making a difference. And to act like the portal is some panacea is just fantasy. We are quickly learning G5 talent transferring in is just as risky as HS talent in that you aren’t sure what you are going to get. And blue chip transfers are being let go from the bluebloods for a reason. We aren’t going to go out and get quality transfers on the OL or DL unless extremely lucky. Going to have to develop within, and GP made that awfully tough with what he left behind. Go look at who was brought in for the trenches before GP left, then hopefully you will never again suggest he should be part of a modern day coaching staff.
Maybe a few of them, but you have to remember the following:
1) Sonny said this team is more athletic than last years
2) Sonny said he thought this team would compete for the conference championship.
3) The QB room is what it is because this staff lost Jackson to the portal (don't blame him), and couldn't even sign 1 freshman QB or even a game manager JUCO or portal guy.
3) Statistically, with losing only 3 key players, and in the 2nd year of the system, the defense is only slightly better than last years, but the eye test tells you it is actually worse, because the turnovers are down
4) Our DT play is actually better than last year, one DE is a little worse, and the other is a downgrade from Horton, who by the way, was only outstanding a couple of games last year.
5) We haven't lost any games because of critical bad referee calls, or funny bounces of the ball. Every game we've lost I've felt like we got exactly what we deserved.
6) If you include the Conference Championship Game, we are 1-5 vs 6-1 vs common opponents; the difference is even worse than the overall record indicates.

Even with the sunshine pumping, my expectations were something like 8-4 vs last year's 12-0 regular season. I'm not calling for Sonny's head, I'm not even calling strongly for staff changes, but if next year is like this I will be asking for them. If, heaven forbid, next year is worse, all bets are off!

Oh, and let's talk about Mike Norvell at FSU, the current poster child for patience. Willie Taggert left FSU in worse shape than Gary left Sonny. Norvell has gone 3-6, 5-7, 10-3, and now is in the hunt for the playoffs in year 4. Based on this, year 3 should be a turnaround year. How about 8-4??

Rant over

Planks

As GP would say....gotta coach em up'
Except it’s not that simple. It’s a quantity problem as well. You can’t coach up players that don’t exist.

Here is every single offensive and defensive lineman we signed in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes.

DL Patrick Jenkins - Transferred to Tulane
OL Garrett Hayes
OL Michael Nichols
DL Khari Coleman - Transferred to Ole Miss
DL Tyler Guyton - Transferred to Oklahoma
OL Brandon Coleman
OL TJ Storment - Transferred to Texas Tech

OL Chris Murray - Transferred to Sam Houston
DL Landyn Watson - Transferred to Marshall
OL Jasper Lott
OL Obinna Eze - Graduated
DL Kenny Turnier - Graduated

So if my math is correct, across those two class we have a total of four lineman left. And that’s total, both offensive and defensive lineman combined. These are the guys that should be Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores right now, serving as the core of our lines.

Toad Jones

Except it’s not that simple. It’s a quantity problem as well. You can’t coach up players that don’t exist.

Here is every single offensive and defensive lineman we signed in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes.

OL Garrett Hayes
OL Michael Nichols
OL Brandon Coleman

OL Jasper Lott

So if my math is correct, across those two class we have a total of four lineman left. And that’s total, both offensive and defensive lineman combined. These are the guys that should be Seniors, Juniors, and Sophomores right now, serving as the core of our lines.
Wow....that is perfect program management. Heard a month or so ago, a talking head said one reason Sabin is so successful is his keen management style of recruiting. It's HIS team, and he knows exactly what he needs to play his style. He creates the first list of guys for all phases, whereas some coaches ask their position coach to make a list, and they stick with it, adding as they commit or drop off. Also, he's a bulldog on this aspect and calls coaches into his office regularly, asking for specific answers and reasons. They said he runs a pro-board recruiting board that is established and complete, almost up-to-the-minute. Asking the coach..do U need help, let's go then and he is ready on a minute's notice. Understand, he is bare and insists more on his assistants than most coaches. The coach at K State is of the same form I understand. Recruiting is the number ONE priority and if you are successful, you're probably a great coach too. As you know, business is pretty much the same way too. Organization, organization.. Honestly, I can't imagine convincing a talented 18-year-old kid who thinks he is a prima donna!! NOW ADD nil.

PO Frog

OL Garrett Hayes
OL Michael Nichols
OL Brandon Coleman

OL Jasper Lott

Those original numbers should have been doubled at a minimum. And your list is generous because Jasper Lott was a TE. Talk about mailing it in from a coaching staff…

NewFrogFan

Maybe a few of them, but you have to remember the following:
1) Sonny said this team is more athletic than last years
2) Sonny said he thought this team would compete for the conference championship.
3) The QB room is what it is because this staff lost Jackson to the portal (don't blame him), and couldn't even sign 1 freshman QB or even a game manager JUCO or portal guy.
3) Statistically, with losing only 3 key players, and in the 2nd year of the system, the defense is only slightly better than last years, but the eye test tells you it is actually worse, because the turnovers are down
4) Our DT play is actually better than last year, one DE is a little worse, and the other is a downgrade from Horton, who by the way, was only outstanding a couple of games last year.
5) We haven't lost any games because of critical bad referee calls, or funny bounces of the ball. Every game we've lost I've felt like we got exactly what we deserved.
6) If you include the Conference Championship Game, we are 1-5 vs 6-1 vs common opponents; the difference is even worse than the overall record indicates.

Even with the sunshine pumping, my expectations were something like 8-4 vs last year's 12-0 regular season. I'm not calling for Sonny's head, I'm not even calling strongly for staff changes, but if next year is like this I will be asking for them. If, heaven forbid, next year is worse, all bets are off!

Oh, and let's talk about Mike Norvell at FSU, the current poster child for patience. Willie Taggert left FSU in worse shape than Gary left Sonny. Norvell has gone 3-6, 5-7, 10-3, and now is in the hunt for the playoffs in year 4. Based on this, year 3 should be a turnaround year. How about 8-4??

Rant over
But how many studs has Norvell gotten from TP vs TCU?

06DallasFrog

OL Garrett Hayes
OL Michael Nichols
OL Brandon Coleman

OL Jasper Lott

All of the 2020 transfers started or are starters where they landed. So, it would seem we lost some of our best recruits instead of the ones who couldn't crack the starting line-up. Is that accurate? Was that NIL money swooping in, and we weren't ready to compete?

Planks

All of the 2020 transfers started or are starters where they landed. So, it would seem we lost some of our best recruits instead of the ones who couldn't crack the starting line-up. Is that accurate? Was that NIL money swooping in, and we weren't ready to compete?
Well I assume a couple of DL transfers were because of the scheme switch. Coleman probably is not a good fit in the 3-3-5. And Storment was a senior and we replaced him with another Senior transfer in Eze for the 2021 season.

One way another, we are missing bodies that we need along the lines. This will be a multi-year problem.

Horny4TCU

I think there is some truth to this, but I think the major exception is when it comes to linemen. That is the position that is hardest to fill via the portal. See Colorado. I think you have to build and develop that position the old fashioned way.

Unfortunately, that is probably the biggest weakness TCU has right now. It probably won’t be fixable via the portal.

We are going to be a bad football team again in 2024. Everyone needs to adjust their expectations moving forward.
I wonder if we could find 16 super rich alum. Then find 10 amazing oline players and 6 amazing defensive line players currently at other FBS schools, and offer them amazing NIL money along with cushy GA jobs after college to coach up the next squads?

Cfrog1985

Ticket Exchange Pass
2020 class did have some studs. Quentin Johnston, Kendre Miller, Zach Evan. Unfortunately they aren’t here any more. Though there are some real contributors left. Savion Williams, Jamoi Hodge, Bud Clark, Brandon Coleman.

The problem is as PO Frog said, the OL and DL recruiting in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes.

Don’t look at recruiting rankings, actually go player by player. It extremely telling and explains a lot about the state of the program right now. TCU will be bad again in 2024.
With the DC we have we will bad forever unless he’s fired. He’s a bad coach period. 7 returning starters and the defense is awful. OC was risky and can’t make many adjustments. Not a fan.7 i. the first half against tech was pathetic.

Hard to recruit with bad coaching. Kstate somehow managed to recruit, we need too as well

Last edited: