• The KillerFrogs

Sonny Dykes the benefactor?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I am version 2.0

The original was my dad - I was getting some files off his old computer for estate reasons and the login came up when I opened the internet

So I thought I would check what you guys were saying about this year

He would have loved last year! And would be cussing this one talking about looking forward to baseball…
I am very sorry to hear this. I enjoyed his posts, though we often disagreed.

Sangria Wine

If you're trying to prove something by saying it's the first job where he "had the resources" to get whomever he wanted, then it just emphasizes my point and makes this whole situation worse.
That was honestly my take when I listened. In the past he’s been able to hire who he chooses but with limitations regarding finances that would mean he couldn’t get some guys he would have loved to get. Here he made clear he could hire anybody he wanted without limitations. He could get whomever he wanted to get. And he did…

NewFrogFan

The point is the lack of successful HS recruiting from that class is a large part to why we are having a bad season.

You can’t have it both ways. If Dykes doesn’t deserve credit for 2022 because of the good veteran players he inherited from Patterson, then he shouldn’t get blame for 2023 for the lack of good young players he inherited from Patterson.
How many TP players are there that just are not very good?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That was honestly my take when I listened. In the past he’s been able to hire who he chooses but with limitations regarding finances that would mean he couldn’t get some guys he would have loved to get. Here he made clear he could hire anybody he wanted without limitations. He could get whomever he wanted to get. And he did…
"Sometimes the Angels punish us, by answering our prayers..."

The TCU Football Jerk

We had a great run - thats coaching and players. We lost great players. Sonny has to have some time to figure out what he now has and fill the holes.

Sonny is a proven winner. It's not easy. Got to have patience.

Going from NC to not being bowl eligible the next year is on coaching. Our talent level ought to at least be 6 win worthy. You don't fall off that greatly in one year because of a talent drop. We ought to have more in our tank at this point.

Planks

Going from NC to not being bowl eligible the next year is on coaching. Our talent level ought to at least be 6 win worthy. You don't fall off that greatly in one year because of a talent drop. We ought to have more in our tank at this point.

Take a look at the HS recruits in the 2021 class. Yes the talent did in fact drop off that much.

The tank is empty. There was no talent behind the guys we graduated after last season.

It’s going to take at least a couple years of quality evaluating, recruiting, and development before this team is ready to be competitive again.

PO Frog

Take a look at the HS recruits in the 2021 class. Yes the talent did in fact drop off that much.

The tank is empty. There was no talent behind the guys we graduated after last season.

It’s going to take at least a couple years of quality evaluating, recruiting, and development before this team is ready to be competitive again.
These posters just don’t like the hire and are going to blame the staff no matter what. The 2020 and 2021 classes were so bad that it’s almost criminal. Especially on the OL and DL. Go find a player from those classes that is still around and making a difference. And to act like the portal is some panacea is just fantasy. We are quickly learning G5 talent transferring in is just as risky as HS talent in that you aren’t sure what you are going to get. And blue chip transfers are being let go from the bluebloods for a reason. We aren’t going to go out and get quality transfers on the OL or DL unless extremely lucky. Going to have to develop within, and GP made that awfully tough with what he left behind. Go look at who was brought in for the trenches before GP left, then hopefully you will never again suggest he should be part of a modern day coaching staff.

Sangria Wine

So I guess I’m confused…some keep posting about how we lost all our seniors and the cupboard is bare so I guess we are supposed to believe that ONLY seniors can be major players on a roster?

But now it’s because the 2021 recruiting class wasn’t good and that’s why we suck. Which the 2021 high school class would be sophomores/juniors this year. So now it’s all about having great underclassmen in order to win. Heck the class of 2020 can still be on campus right now with the COVID bonus year.

Help me grasp which reason is it we suck. Because frankly both those above “reasons” sound more like EXCUSES to me…

Last edited:

Toad Jones

This should answer some recruiting questions. How many of this last class are contributing? (I don't know just asking, but the answer should understand something about our future.)

Sangria Wine

This should answer some recruiting questions. How many of this last class are contributing? (I don't know just asking, but the answer should understand something about our future.)
All the good ones are on Sonny…all the misses are a combination of Gary Patterson and Donald Trump’s fault.

NewFrogFan

It's hard to take anyone seriously that argues otherwise. From that class:

Trent Battle--limited contributor.
Abe Camara--contributor
DJ Rogers--contributor
Shad Banks--sometimes starter/contributor
Chandler Morris--starter

That's it. 1.5 starters from that class. Everyone else transferred or is buried deep on the depth chart.
Shad Banks should start, he and Brooks should be playing way more. Brooks played more for LSU.

puckster59

My biggest concern this year was going into the season with a QB that can't stay healthy and a freshman back up. Unfortunately it has played out like I was afraid it would.

We cannot go into next season without a proven veteran QB. We cannot throw Hejny in there before he's ready. That would not be fair to him or any other true freshman.
Most of all, Sonny can no longer afford to look at Morris as his starter. Even healthy, he's not at the level TCU needs.

Planks

So I guess I’m confused…some keep posting about how we lost all our seniors and the cupboard is bare so I guess we are supposed to believe that ONLY seniors can be major players on a roster?

But now it’s because the 2021 recruiting class wasn’t good and that’s why we suck. Which the 2021 high school class would be sophomores/juniors this year. So now it’s all about having great underclassmen in order to win. Heck the class of 2020 can still be on campus right now with the COVID bonus year.

Help me grasp which reason is it we suck. Because frankly both those above “reasons” sound more like EXCUSES to me…

2020 class did have some studs. Quentin Johnston, Kendre Miller, Zach Evan. Unfortunately they aren’t here any more. Though there are some real contributors left. Savion Williams, Jamoi Hodge, Bud Clark, Brandon Coleman.

The problem is as PO Frog said, the OL and DL recruiting in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes.

Don’t look at recruiting rankings, actually go player by player. It extremely telling and explains a lot about the state of the program right now. TCU will be bad again in 2024.

Toad Jones

2020 class did have some studs. Quentin Johnston, Kendre Miller, Zach Evan. Unfortunately they aren’t here any more. Though there are some real contributors left. Savion Williams, Jamoi Hodge, Bud Clark, Brandon Coleman.

The problem is as PO Frog said, the OL and DL recruiting in the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes.

Don’t look at recruiting rankings, actually go player by player. It extremely telling and explains a lot about the state of the program right now. TCU will be bad again in 2024.
As GP would say....gotta coach em up'