• The KillerFrogs

Serious thread here guys: Do you have to take any religious classes at TCU?

Honestly wondering. No one on this website seems to drop scripture versus on the regular, so I'm guessing no. 

Admins can delete this whenever

TX_Krötenechse said:
Yes, 3 hours. Doesn't have to be a Christianity-related course. I took Latin American religion. My roommate took Eastern Religions.

That's what I was actually under the impression of hours wise. Didn't know it didn't have to be Christian though. Thanks. 

Portland Frog

hookemhorns said:

That's what I was actually under the impression of hours wise. Didn't know it didn't have to be Christian though. Thanks. 

yep. I took a "survey" course that analyzed all the major world religions.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Back in the old days you had to take 3 hours of Christian and 3 of Religions of the world. Not big on organized religions, but it was very interesting. 

LeisureFrog

Early 90s....my religion professor (freshman year) played on the other team and she absolutely hated men.  Not very Christian-like.  Anyone remember this professor?

FYI, "not very Christian-like" referring to "hated men," not "other team."

subjective, of course.

jake102

I took World Religions or something from an African tribal woman. I think she was Muslim. Best water fountains on campus were in that building though... holy water. 

SnoSki

hookemhorns said:

No requirement to attend christian religion classes, study christian theology, no need to claim to be a christian at any time from recruitment through graduation, no images of Christ on campus artworks, no statues with the ten commandments, no school-administered chapel, church or worship services.

HG73

When I was at TCU (grad 1973) we had to take 6 hours of religeon. TCU also had a curfew for women only, 11pm during the week and 1pm on weekends. Those female dorm parking lots were very busy places around midnight.

10 Key Frog

Portland Frog said:

yep. I took a "survey" course that analyzed all the major world religions.
That's what I took as well. Was an interesting class. Spent about a week or two on each of the major religions. A lot of them we had someone come talk to us for a half or full hour that practiced the faith. Also through it got to visit a mosque for a prayer.

Good basis class to the religions of the world.

itsalizard

If you want people to drop scripture, start a thread about being gay/lesbianism. Guaranteed 12 pages before it gets moved to the General Board and will be a journey from old testament to New.

Bob

ShivasFrog said:
For historical perspective, in 1971 the requirement was 6 hours. I took World Religions and New Testament.
Wish I could remember 1971.  Must of been studying the Book of Willie - Roll me up and smoke me when I die.  

tcujsauce

God Dog said:
World Religions. Dr. Atwood. "Earned" a B in that class despite only showing up the 1st day and the final.
Did Religion as one of my minors. Dr. Atwood's Cults and Sects in US religion was phone my favorite classes I took at TCU. Basically him making fun of the outrageousness of these religious traditions (Mormon, Jehovah's Witness, B'ahai Faith, etc), then inviting a member of that religion to come talk to us on Fridays.