• The KillerFrogs

Scott Frost Fired!

ticketfrog123

I largely disagree with your take given what’s happening in college football, but to be clear I didn’t say any one of those would just say “yes.”

For many it would take much more than an ask - it would take a big financial commitment on salary and assistant pools and facilities upgrades. In the Big Ten, they will have the money though. A lot more than the Big 12. And you can’t convince me that, as bad and hard as recruiting in Nebraska has been post big 12, it’s somehow better at Cinci, Iowa State, K-state, Lawrence, etc.
Nebraska is not an upgrade recruiting wise versus Cincy or k-state, etc. lateral at best. who wants to go to nebraska and get murdered by OSU/Michigan/MSU/PSU? There’s no appeal for coaches or players - dead end.

Big ten doesn’t mean everybody has awesome facilities - look at Illinois, Rutgers, and Indiana.

Nebraska can probably hire a coordinator if they money whip them - won’t get a good P5 head coach. Nebraska’s NIL isn’t that strong vs. Big Ten or B12 programs anyway.

ticketfrog123

PJ Fleck at Minnesota might get a call. He has five years there and appears to be building something so he might not want to walk on that, and it would not look good going to a division rival. And he might like the Twin Cities. But if Nebraska has better facilities, NIL and can offer him 50% more money he might go.
When you’re already making $6mm and you’re happy with politics and your situation - most of those guys won’t leave for an extra $3mm (especially if it’s nowhere Nebraska vs. a city like Minneapolis)

froginmn

PJ Fleck at Minnesota might get a call. He has five years there and appears to be building something so he might not want to walk on that, and it would not look good going to a division rival. And he might like the Twin Cities. But if Nebraska has better facilities, NIL and can offer him 50% more money he might go.
Fleck is staying put. Especially not leaving for Lincoln, but he and his family like this area and are settling down.

Brog

Maybe two of these candidates are realistic: freeze and Traylor

Rest would be taking significant downgrades for similar pay at places they’re mostly established (Gary wouldn’t do nebraska)

Matt rhule and fickell are not options for NEB
Yeah, and Gary wouldn't do UT either, right?

illini_frog

Nebraska would be smart to accept who they are and hire an assistant from KState or North Dakota State and build their program with that identity. Not gonna get the big recruits but if they can get 3 stars who stay for 4 years or the occasional 4 star they may be able to be respectable again. Trying to get flashy with their hires is their downfall.

Boomhauer

DeuceBoogieNights

They should fire the AD also. There is next weekends game against OU, which they were going to lose anyways and then Indiana on October 1st. Why not just wait? Nebraska is a dumpster fire.

Edit** but seriously even if a booster is pissed you couldn't just wait and use that $7.5 million for the next coach or flat screen tvs in the locker room or corn or anything but paying that failure of a coach more money??

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Here’s how I imagine the meeting with Scott Frost went after the game:

Alberts: Look, Scott, here’s the deal. You suck as a head coach. We gotta make a change. Now, the fiscally responsible thing to do would be to wait until Oct 1, when your buyout drops by $7MM. But this university loves you. You are one of our all time greats and that means something to this fan base and the administration. But most importantly, you sucked so bad that I’m undoubtedly getting canned not long after you. And I don’t have a ridiculous buyout. So Imma fire your ass right now and we’re gonna split that $7MM. Right?

Wexahu

Leaving the Big 12 was not a smart move for Nebraska in maintaining football relevance but IMO a much bigger factor has been TV. Once every team’s games started being available on national TV, a huge edge Nebraska had over others was gone.

I remember as a kid only a handful of games were on nationally each Saturday, and Nebraska was on a lot. They were my favorite team growing up because they were on TV as much as anyone. Not much different than why the Cowboys were/are so popular, they play so many of those afternoon nationally televised games.

Those days for Nebraska are forever gone.

tetonfrog

Leaving the Big 12 was not a smart move for Nebraska in maintaining football relevance but IMO a much bigger factor has been TV. Once every team’s games started being available on national TV, a huge edge Nebraska had over others was gone.

I remember as a kid only a handful of games were on nationally each Saturday, and Nebraska was on a lot. They were my favorite team growing up because they were on TV as much as anyone. Not much different than why the Cowboys were/are so popular, they play so many of those afternoon nationally televised games.

Those days for Nebraska are forever gone.
This is so true.

I remember back in the mid '80s, the NU-Kansas game was on national TV. The Jayhawks were as bad back then as they have been post-Mangino and the Huskers were #1 or #2. My family is full of Jayhawks so we watched the game. It got so ugly so fast the network had to switch to another game and my pop, my brothers and I went to the golf course in the second quarter.

masterfrog

They should fire the AD also. There is next weekends game against OU, which they were going to lose anyways and then Indiana on October 1st. Why not just wait? Nebraska is a dumpster fire.

Edit** but seriously even if a booster is pissed you couldn't just wait and use that $7.5 million for the next coach or flat screen tvs in the locker room or corn or anything but paying that failure of a coach more money??
Trev Alberts said that the reason they didn't wait is because they didn't want to give up on this season. Obviously Frost wasn't getting through to the players and a new messenger was needed. They think that Mickey Joseph can get them turned around enough to make a bowl game this year. If Joseph goes 6-3 or 7-2, he may be a permanent candidate for the job. The Big 10 West is a dumpster fire right now. Nebraska may have a chance to find some wins down the stretch. They might be able to do what USC did when they fired Kiffin and replaced him with Ed Orgeron. With a new $150 million practice facility currently under construction, $8 million doesn't make too much difference in the budget.