• The KillerFrogs

Put Huge O-Linemane At Noseguard against UTAH?

If our backup nose tackle gets pushed around how about putting giant O-Line at Nose Tackle for Utah game? We need to clog the middle and a huge body would help. Keep those huge Utah Lineman off our Linebackers. Has any team ever done that?

Trelvis

Is she eligible to play?

10261109.jpg

Temcat Frog

Considering that this may be the most important game of the regular season, why would you play any player OUT OF POSITION!! Big doesn't mean good. Why are you assuming that Utah will be able to "push our nose tackle around" in the first place. This current defense is already better than last years (IMHO) and you want to put an inexperienced offensive player on the D-line ??????????????

If our backup nose tackle gets pushed around how about putting giant O-Line at Nose Tackle for Utah game? We need to clog the middle and a huge body would help. Keep those huge Utah Lineman off our Linebackers. Has any team ever done that?

Dtx_Frog_Fan

D.J. Yendrey should fill in well. 4 TFL and 3 sacks is pretty solid, outstanding for a 2. I think the best strategy will be to run a very aggresive scheme that gets some big plays on D early and gets the crowd quiet.

South Texas Frog

Am I the only person not that worried about the loss of Griffin?

Sucks because the guy has been a great DT and he was a senior, but Coleman and Yendrey are beasts!

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog

Sucks because the guy has been a great DT and he was a senior, but Coleman and Yendrey are beasts!

I thought Coleman had a good game. He should be a little more active than Griffin but can also hold his own in there.

frogforlife

Yes Coleman and Yendrey are beasts and Grant is good as well. The key is you have to have someone who can rest those three during the game. Gary always has better results on D when he can rotate 4. Also what happens if someone else gets hurt and your down to two interior lineman. Better have someone ready to go.

My bets are you will see Broughton and maybe Leitch working in some at DT against Vegas.

gdu

I wouldn't say I am worried, but I would have been more confident with Griffin. Lots of experience and he just clogs up the middle.

Austintxfrog94

D.J. Yendrey should fill in well. 4 TFL and 3 sacks is pretty solid, outstanding for a 2. I think the best strategy will be to run a very aggresive scheme that gets some big plays on D early and gets the crowd quiet.
Yendry reminds me of a young Ray Childress...dude is disruptive with his explosion ad he's only a true soph.

South Texas Frog

All I'm saying is Griffin played 1 (maybe 2) series against AF and we had an outstanding defensive effort. In fact, TB had a season high on tackles IIRC.

StinnettFrog

Losing Griffin is huge and the worst part is he doesn't get to finish his senior season. The backups will just have to step it up and make the plays.

Gotta love Pattersons ability to put the right people in the right position so although I am disappointed in losing Griffin I am still confident in the defense to play well.

GO FROGS

Houston Frog

You will see some teams put a big O-Lineman along the DL on short yardage/goal line situations occasionally, but I haven't seen it done for an entire series or game.

As far as Kelly Griffin goes, I think he is a good player, but I have a buddy who watches the DL closer than I do who has been saying all season that Griffin is the weakest link on our defense. He says Griffin is a serviceable starter but doesn't stand out much over the backups and we shouldn't miss a beat with Coleman in there.

I hope he's right, but honestly I don't know enough about the two to say for myself.

Just a thought for emergency only who better to keep a blocker off someone than a blocker big huge guy hard to move. Maybe they aren't used to tackling, but our D-line doesn't need to very often.

Why are you assuming that Utah will be able to "push our nose tackle around" in the first place.

I would assume Utah O-Line is going to have there way with our back-up NT. If we had Griffin as an anchor I would be otherwise. This is the first good O-Line our D has played against in a long time. The middle of the D is going to be anchored by a sophmore with little game experience when compared to what we lost. There is going to be a noticeable difference in our D with Griffin out. Utah won't have there way with us, but we are a lot softer in the middle and that will allow Utah to do a lot more.

MidlandFrog

I would assume Utah O-Line is going to have there way with our back-up NT. If we had Griffin as an anchor I would be otherwise. This is the first good O-Line our D has played against in a long time. The middle of the D is going to be anchored by a sophmore with little game experience when compared to what we lost. There is going to be a noticeable difference in our D with Griffin out. Utah won't have there way with us, but we are a lot softer in the middle and that will allow Utah to do a lot more.

So the fact that AF's only drive was with Griffin in there and then with Coleman and Yendrey in we shut them down doesn't qualify???? Kelly is great but we have been rotating all year and I am sure that we have someone else who can spell them, Burns comes to mind. We could run Daniels inside, with Broughton on the outside and run stunts all day or vice versa. Our D-line is still great. Coleman is very good and Yendrey is a better pass rusher than Kelly, which we will need against Utah. Considering we just played the top rushing offense in the country and shut them down, save one drive. I don't think anyone can push us around. Have you seen Coleman?? You act like we are rotating in a guy who is 250 to play NT. With the 3 we have, we are anything but soft. Have some faith.

South Texas Frog

I completely disagree. Coleman / Yendrey will be just as good (if not better) than Griffin IMHO.

Houston Frog

I think a lot of people are just curious as to why you are so certain our backup DT is such a huge step down from Griffin.

Coleman was a highly touted recruit and has filled in admirably when called upon. And as far as I know, Kelly Griffin has never been on any sort of all-conference teams or D-Lineman watch lists.