• The KillerFrogs

PurpleMenace: Patterson talks first practice, waxes on Transfer Portal

Limp Lizard

If he coached like he was always behind, he would never take his foot off the gas. Too many leads have been lost in the 3rd and 4th quarter when Gary got conservative.

Seems to be a case of, "Do as I say, not as I do..."
Which games are you talking about? The last few years we are behind trying to catch up. You can find as many on this board saying TCU runs too open an offense.

CryptoMiner

Obviously OU is the big dog in the Big 12 and probably will continue to be as long as Riley is there. Observing OU's offensive plays vs ours is almost night and day different. Riley is doing all types of misdirection, pulling a guard going the opposite way of the rest of the offensive line off of a counter and I mean it just goes on and on.

I would not expect Kill to bring anything out like a Riley offense but more of a disciplined methodical nature which I think is good for 8-4 and that's probably ok too with GP. The brief consideration of Marion's GoGo offense was just too much for GP.

They are going very fast in spring drills so far. It may be too much at some point but not yet anyway and the plan through spring is to keep at it.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Obviously OU is the big dog in the Big 12 and probably will continue to be as long as Riley is there. Observing OU's offensive plays vs ours is almost night and day different. Riley is doing all types of misdirection, pulling a guard going the opposite way of the rest of the offensive line off of a counter and I mean it just goes on and on.

I would not expect Kill to bring anything out like a Riley offense but more of a disciplined methodical nature which I think is good for 8-4 and that's probably ok too with GP. The brief consideration of Marion's GoGo offense was just too much for GP.
What Riley has instituted at OU is not only an offense with a lot of misdirection and distractions, but a commitment to execute each and every play to perfection. Timing, placement, and simply getting the job done. His offense works because in most cases the players are where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be.

We haven't figured that out. I often wonder if this has even occurred to Sonny. Judging by our offensive prowess the last two seasons, no.

Kill's stress in his past jobs has been this very thing: Execution. As a team, we need someone who can tighten things up and get everyone working as a unit.

Billy Clyde

They are going very fast in spring drills so far. It may be too much at some point but not yet anyway and the plan through spring is to keep at it.

Faster play, more reps... More reps, more reinforcement of "muscle memory" on each play... When you know what you are doing on every play without having to think about it, ONLY then are you in position to do the little "extra" things that give you the edge- changing snap counts, doing a hard count to draw the d-line offside, going quick to take advantage of defensive substitution, qb-wr sight adjustments on routes, etc.
This is what I'm praying we get from Kill- The DISCIPLINE (and no, I don't mean Gary-type screaming, although if that's what it takes. . .) to work until you know your [ Finebaum ] without having to think about it.
That's what was so maddening about last year, it was like watching a poorly-prepared high school team, in terms of just how out-of-synch we looked on offense, that nobody really knew what the hell they were supposed to do. If you're in that shape as a unit, really doesn't matter what kind of individual talent you have.

Billy Clyde

What Riley has instituted at OU is not only an offense with a lot of misdirection and distractions, but a commitment to execute each and every play to perfection. Timing, placement, and simply getting the job done. His offense works because in most cases the players are where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be.

We haven't figured that out. I often wonder if this has even occurred to Sonny. Judging by our offensive prowess the last two seasons, no.

Kill's stress in his past jobs has been this very thing: Execution. As a team, we need someone who can tighten things up and get everyone working as a unit.
dammit beat me to it'd. I thought of it first, though. :)

4th. down

"We haven't figured that out. I often wonder if this has even occurred to Sonny. Judging by our offensive prowess the last two seasons, no."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There may be several number 1's but this is certainly one of them. This aspect of our offensive was so evident. It's hard to get anything sustainable with that lackadaisical performance.

Froggish

I'd love to hear a coaches argument against sending in a play from the sideline, huddling, breaking the huddle and running to formation, and snapping the ball relatively quickly. In this day and age that would royally mess with most defensive coaches, I'm not sure they'd know what the hell to do. They wouldn't know how you are going to line up, who is going to line up where, etc etc. Imagine that.

As an offense make the defense react to what you do, and make them react on the fly. I still maintain that the longer the offense and defense stand there looking at each other, the bigger advantage the defense has. So why not completely eliminate that advantage?

As inventive as football has become in regards to scheme and matchup advantages, I think sometimes the most effective thing you can do is just buck trends..As you said, that can really mess teams up.

Wexahu

As inventive as football has become in regards to scheme and matchup advantages, I think sometimes the most effective thing you can do is just buck trends..As you said, that can really mess teams up.

Yep. No huddle doesn't provide any advantage whatsoever unless you're gonna go uptempo. And going uptempo comes with it's own limitations on what you can do creatively as an offense....how many times have you seen a really unique, well-designed play run at a really uptempo pace....almost every time those plays are about as vanilla as you can get.

I can't imagine how frustrated GP would be on the sidelines if he had to call a defensive play before the offense was in position, and stick with it.

Eight

Faster play, more reps... More reps, more reinforcement of "muscle memory" on each play... When you know what you are doing on every play without having to think about it, ONLY then are you in position to do the little "extra" things that give you the edge- changing snap counts, doing a hard count to draw the d-line offside, going quick to take advantage of defensive substitution, qb-wr sight adjustments on routes, etc.
This is what I'm praying we get from Kill- The DISCIPLINE (and no, I don't mean Gary-type screaming, although if that's what it takes. . .) to work until you know your [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] without having to think about it.
That's what was so maddening about last year, it was like watching a poorly-prepared high school team, in terms of just how out-of-synch we looked on offense, that nobody really knew what the hell they were supposed to do. If you're in that shape as a unit, really doesn't matter what kind of individual talent you have.

curious, what happens when you start to sacrifice the quality of technique and things such as footwork purely to get more reps.

more swings with terrible form are not going to help my golf game and i wouldn't think bad reps at a a higher rate improve offensive efficiency.

Billy Clyde

curious, what happens when you start to sacrifice the quality of technique and things such as footwork purely to get more reps.

more swings with terrible form are not going to help my golf game and i wouldn't think bad reps at a a higher rate improve offensive efficiency.

Shocking I guess, but the "more reps=better" is predicated on more reps done correctly. Didn't think that had to be stated. I think the Brilesbag offense is probably a good example. So little for those dumb SOBs to have to think about, but they had drilled it and drilled it until it was 2nd nature. Not all that different from platoon marching, IIRC. :)

Eight

Shocking I guess, but the "more reps=better" is predicated on more reps done correctly. Didn't think that had to be stated.

agree, but what part of the offense last year elicited thoughts that they were technically and fundamentally sound?

i understand there should be the presumption that the goal is a properly executed actions being repeated at a high frequency, but we haven't seen that for 2 years.

people get excited when they hear/read about the frogs going fast again and meach is back, but i want them to first learn and then focus on the frequency of the repetitions

Wexahu

Shocking I guess, but the "more reps=better" is predicated on more reps done correctly. Didn't think that had to be stated.

If execution has been and is a problem I would think it would be hard to improve on that unless things are slowed down and the "little things" are hammered home by the coaches between plays. Hard to do that when everyone is concerned with getting lined up quickly to run another play. In other words, it's probably hard to teach fundamentals for a coach unless they allow themselves time to do so.

I just don't get the infatuation with going fast.

Billy Clyde

agree, but what part of the offense last year elicited thoughts that they were technically and fundamentally sound?

i understand there should be the presumption that the goal is a properly executed actions being repeated at a high frequency, but we haven't seen that for 2 years.

people get excited when they hear/read about the frogs going fast again and meach is back, but i want them to first learn and then focus on the frequency of the repetitions

Not simply from the standpoint of "Look at 2014!" (because I think the defense was the better unit), but because now Meach is back and because that's really the only point of comparison that is close to being apples-to-apples, I'd love to see a critical analysis of whether that group, both individually and as a unit, executed at a higher rate than since Meach left. Lots of other variables, I know. . . But, given the number of guys from that group who achieved at high levels above their inherent talent, and even just got a cup of coffee in the NFL, my gut says they were better-prepared to execute correctly on game day. I'm as guilty as any of looking for the simplest answers to complex problems, but in fairness, I really, really, really want it to be true. :)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If execution has been and is a problem I would think it would be hard to improve on that unless things are slowed down and the "little things" are hammered home by the coaches between plays. Hard to do that when everyone is concerned with getting lined up quickly to run another play. In other words, it's probably hard to teach fundamentals for a coach unless they allow themselves time to do so.

I just don't get the infatuation with going fast.
Those "little things" of which you speak should be handled on the practice field, and not in a game situation. Games are when you show what you have learned.

Eight

Not simply from the standpoint of "Look at 2014!" (because I think the defense was the better unit), but because now Meach is back and because that's really the only point of comparison that is close to being apples-to-apples, I'd love to see a critical analysis of whether that group, both individually and as a unit, executed at a higher rate than since Meach left. Lots of other variables, I know. . . But, given the number of guys from that group who achieved at high levels above their inherent talent, and even just got a cup of coffee in the NFL, my gut says they were better-prepared to execute correctly on game day. I'm as guilty as any of looking for the simplest answers to complex problems, but in fairness, I really, really, really want it to be true. :)

so how do you explain the 2016 season?

you point to the 2014 team and the players who have made their mark in the nfl are the offensive linemen. boykin had a shot and we know the story, doctson has been plagued by injuries, and green had a cup of coffee in the nfl.

which other receiver over achieved? kolby? he got drafted for one reason and his nfl career had the same issues as his time in ft worth? porter? injuries ended that career. gray? never the same from the knee.

i do believe kill can bring some things to this offense in regards to structure and understanding what is required to create an offense.

have nothing against meacham and i hope i am wrong, but if things are suddenly right as rain with him back then someone needs to explain [ What the heck? ] happened in and after 2016