• The KillerFrogs

Players starting and player decisions

It’s a harsh assessment but I think it’s also a fair assessment…. after watching yesterday’s game it’s almost impossible for me to come to any other conclusion than Gary was choking the life out of this program (and had been for a while). He’s removed from the equation and we just magically find a potentially great QB, the defense plays it’s best game of the year, and energy returns to the sideline??? Yeah, that wasn’t even remotely a coincidence.
Your correct... it was not a coincidence...not all were sad in the locker room when GP left

CountryFrog

I would argue the opposite concerning Morris. I have friends on the OU staff who thought he spun it better than Rattler.

The players know who “should” be playing each position. Injured or not (and I love Max) - Chandler is top to bottom and better QB.

He is going to make mistakes from here on out and he is not going to go for 500 yards plus in another game (probably in his life).

But this game was not a fluke. He is our 1 QB. And should have been all season.
I can neither deny nor confirm whether Morris "spun it better than Rattler" at OU but the fact is they didn't have him starting up there either so I guess you could accuse Lincoln Riley of the same sin that Gary and his staff were guilty of.

I'm not trying to excuse any of the personnel decisions. Simply saying I understand what they were doing at QB slightly better than at LB where injury is the one and only thing that would be a reason not to give Banks more time.

We'll see what these last 3 games look like. If Morris keeps playing at or near what we saw yesterday then it'll certainly be irrefutable that the coaches scheissed that one up pretty good. That was the best QB performance we've seen since 2015 and it's not even close.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Remember when Patterson brought in Alex Delton from Kansas State? Patterson praised Delton's "leadership abilities" while noting that he'd been a team captain at K-State. But Delton had left K-State because he'd lost his starting job there! "Leadership" isn't quitting your team when you're benched, especially if you're a captain. And then, after Patterson belatedly benched him too, that great "leader" quit our team and "retired" from the sport. Well, I hope Delton is enjoying his Social Security checks.

And I hope Patterson does too. The sad and painful truth is that Patterson had long lost his ability to effectively evaluate talent in a manner that would justify his status as a Six Million Dollar Man, especially when it comes to the most important position on the team. His mystifying anointing of Delton as our QB a couple of years ago was proof of that as was his failure to get Morris on the field earlier this season.

We were long overdue for a coaching change and yesterday's game demonstrated that. In spades.

Patterson's tremendous legacy will always be intact but yesterday's game also gave us a tantalizing sneak preview of how great Horned Frog football can be in the Post-Patterson Era.

At least that was the thought I had yesterday when I walked out of our stadium with a crap-eating grin on my face!

Frog-in-law1995

I can neither deny nor confirm whether Morris "spun it better than Rattler" at OU but the fact is they didn't have him starting up there either so I guess you could accuse Lincoln Riley of the same sin that Gary and his staff were guilty of.

I'm not trying to excuse any of the personnel decisions. Simply saying I understand what they were doing at QB slightly better than at LB where injury is the one and only thing that would be a reason not to give Banks more time.

We'll see what these last 3 games look like. If Morris keeps playing at or near what we saw yesterday then it'll certainly be irrefutable that the coaches scheissed that one up pretty good. That was the best QB performance we've seen since 2015 and it's not even close.

Kenny Hill threw for 450 and 5 touchdowns against OU in 2016. I’d say that’s close or better.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
How are Max's hands? Is he familiar with any of the following gentlemen: Matt Jones, Julian Edelman, or Antwaan Randle-El?

Max is the kind of gamer and competitor you'd love to see on the field, but Morris is the kind of QB you don't take off the field. Max has some elusiveness and certainly knows the offense. Can we find a compromise somehow?

tcufootballjh98

How are Max's hands? Is he familiar with any of the following gentlemen: Matt Jones, Julian Edelman, or Antwaan Randle-El?

Max is the kind of gamer and competitor you'd love to see on the field, but Morris is the kind of QB you don't take off the field. Max has some elusiveness and certainly knows the offense. Can we find a compromise somehow?

Portal. Plenty of schools will want him with his career stat line. Inconsistent yes but someone will take a gamble on him

CountryFrog

Kenny Hill threw for 450 and 5 touchdowns against OU in 2016. I’d say that’s close or better.
It was a great game statistically. I'm also accounting for the opponent. That OU defense was unbelievably terrible. This was a good to very good Baylor defense.

Hill actually probably should've had over 500 yards in that game. Isaiah Graham dropped a gimme long TD while running totally uncovered through the OU defense. That defense was just flat out terrible.

FrogPreacher

Another play encapsulates what's been described above. On the kick-off after our last TD, an extra-effort tackle was made by a kid that i've never seen on the field. #26 I think. He came up all fired up and the TCU bench mobbed him down around the 10 yard line, as he came off the field. I mean the whole bench. We haven't seen that passion and camaraderie in a long time.
Actually if you look at the participation report he has played in every game and even has caught a couple of passes. Looks like he is a transfer from Incarnate Word. Perhaps an experienced player but not at a Division ! school and has come here and is playing hard and because of that is getting playing time. Great to see!

Frog-in-law1995

It was a great game statistically. I'm also accounting for the opponent. That OU defense was unbelievably terrible. This was a good to very good Baylor defense.

Hill actually probably should've had over 500 yards in that game. Isaiah Graham dropped a gimme long TD while running totally uncovered through the OU defense. That defense was just flat out terrible.

Baylor is the 80th ranked passing defense.

Chongo94

Rewatching the game and it’s just mind blowing….Chandler made throws all day that I just will never think Max can make despite all his arm strength. No besmirch on Max, he’s a warrior and all heart and willed us to some wins by himself but dang.

That pass to Conright in the first half was an absolute beauty. Throwing to players in stride, seeing his check downs early and often, putting the ball in spots where only our wrs can catch it or attempt to catch it….

It makes my brain hurt trying to understand why Morris hasn’t seen the field earlier.

Eight

Rewatching the game and it’s just mind blowing….Chandler made throws all day that I just will never think Max can make despite all his arm strength. No besmirch on Max, he’s a warrior and all heart and willed us to some wins by himself but dang.

That pass to Conright in the first half was an absolute beauty. Throwing to players in stride, seeing his check downs early and often, putting the ball in spots where only our wrs can catch it or attempt to catch it….

It makes my brain hurt trying to understand why Morris hasn’t seen the field earlier.

aside from starting, the fact we have been continually told through a certain paysite that downing was the clear #2 you have to wonder if gary was the primary source from jeremy because things such as downing going into the tech and ou games for max just don't make any sense whatsoever

kidkarr

I felt the same way, and I love Max. I will always cheer for a warrior like MD, and maybe that’s what “old school” GP was doing. CM was lights out though, no doubt.

I will also add, I think the guys caught the ball better yesterday as well. MD has dropped some dimes that were flat out dropped this season, a couple that may have GP still employed. ‍♂️