• The KillerFrogs

Perhaps TCU Fans Can Clarify

BigPonyFan

Hopefully some of the calmer TCU fans can help us SMU fans understand what Coach Jones did to upset Coach Patterson (in terms of comments)? What I'm hearing (and I'm paraphrasing) is that Coach Jones made some comment about Coach Patterson not really changing his approach over the years. Uh, it's been successful, why is that considered an insult? If it's not broke, don't fix it. Why is mentioning that an insult??

Honest question as this has gotten crazy (on both sides).

SnoSki

Maybe Patterson took it to mean that June thinks he has CGP figured out. That would make CGP mad, I think. If June says, "Same old TCU" (or something similar) then that would imply June has TCU figured out.

Maybe?

f_399

We have gotten better even in the past 3-4 years. I.E. we have changed. Garnered more national respect.

Saying we didnt change after going 2 years undefeated in the regular season, 2 bcs bowls and winning a rose bowl is an insult.

HFrog1999

I haven't heard it yet so I don't know.

All I know from Saturday is that the refs were bad and some of the fans and players for SMU acted like complete tools on our field. Also, Darius Johnson said, "I don't like these TCU people" in the paper.

I don't know what Mrs. Cleaver said to piss Coach P off.

Lone Frog

I honestly don't know exactly what Jones said - haven't subscribed to the DMN in years.

My suspicion is it's something like perceiving Jones' comments to mean TCU is stale. Predictable. Has-been.

My stronger suspicion is this is no big deal in Patterson's mind, and he's using it as a means to get the fans, the staff and the players riled up. If it means the team is out for blood the rest of the season, I'm all for it.

jake102

Saying we didnt change after going 2 years undefeated in the regular season, 2 bcs bowls and winning a rose bowl is an insult.

This is it. A fairly major slap in the face to say we haven't changed... basically implying that it was easy.

Although... this might have just been a way of saying "we are familiar with them"

f_399

I think Patterson feels like Jones is brushing off TCU's recent success and the changes he has made in TCU... which is a lot. From the athletic department to increases in enrollment can be attributed to the football teams success.

Saying nothing has changed is insulting, dont you think?

Frog Attack II

Well, something set him off... You know that he doesn't like Briles, but he gave them nothing but respect afterwards. He's supposedly friends w/ June, so something more to this than meets the eye.

Also, let's not overlook the "open taunting of the TCU sideline after the game" (words directly from the Engle blog). The comments about "looking down on FW" is probably something that he's just now understanding. These are his young ones & he feels like they've been disrespected - something is completely against his character & what he tries to teach his teams. Papa Frog is pissed.

I remember in '04 when USF players were celebrating beating us and some of their players pulled up sod and took it with them to the locker rooms. GP said nothing about that... so he's pretty understanding.

Something happened more than what's being reported.

All that said, if I'm a player and I wasn't fired up before, then I am now.

Face it, the guy's not a politician. That's why so many love him.

To some, it will look like sour grapes. Oh well.

texasrobster1997

Hopefully some of the calmer TCU fans can help us SMU fans understand what Coach Jones did to upset Coach Patterson (in terms of comments)? What I'm hearing (and I'm paraphrasing) is that Coach Jones made some comment about Coach Patterson not really changing his approach over the years. Uh, it's been successful, why is that considered an insult? If it's not broke, don't fix it. Why is mentioning that an insult??

You have to think there is more to the story. I doubt its just the comment in the paper, we will probably never know. Could it be that SMU put pressure on conference USA officials to not make the statement they said thay would? Just a guess.

Patterson is an intensely loyal guy. I think he has been overly generous to some other coaches like when Boise state sat in on some of our practices and then went on to beat us in the Fiesta bowl. I'm sure he has been helpful to Jones and SMU and a host of other coaches. I'm sure SMU has asked for some favors too. Then, after all that...Patterson perceives Jones making a stab at Patterson and TCU while in the spotlight after a win. For an intensely loyal guy, that can spark some serious anger. Just my guess.

Stiff Arm Frog

I think what really hacked Coach P off was June acting ungrateful for all free help TCU has provided SMU.

If we've been giving y'all advice on how to recruit, how to evaluate kids academically, how to manage your stadium and maybe putting in good words to the BCS conference chairs -- well, then TCU is to thank for a big part of your recent success. And if you guys ended up beating us this year, well, it was bound to happen eventually. But I think that given the circumstances, TCU would liked to have heard a tone of appreciation in the post-game comments.

Instead, we got a couple of barbed comments from your coach and your players, and your students rushed our field. Fine, you beat us. But let's not forget how you beat us: with a little TCU inspiration. And if you're not going to be appreciative of that, if you're determined to be arrogant, disrespectful little punks who look down on TCU because you don't like Fort Worth -- well, then [Craig James] you.

BigPonyFan

My stronger suspicion is this is no big deal in Patterson's mind, and he's using it as a means to get the fans, the staff and the players riled up. If it means the team is out for blood the rest of the season, I'm all for it.

I agree with you Lone. I don't want to defend very many SMU-related actions (I'll do that on our board), but I just hope this is a carefully considered response targeted at getting your team focused. The fact is Coach Jones is a really good guy and he's very careful about what he says (especially around media). That doesn't mean he didn't slip, but...

As far as the DJ comment, come on Frogs. You're better than that. His comment was clean, not personal, and in bounds. Had Tank said something similar I would have been like "sounds right". It's a rivalry, and a great one at that.

Thanks to those that offered your take on the situation. Hopefully things calm down a bit over the next few days.

roddog

Banned

i liken it to people finlly catching up to the spread, i mean look what leach did to gp in 04, then look what gp did to leach in 06 after he studied that offense, things finally catch up with you in the end if you dont mix it up

i think allot of people are still unsure if the 4-2-5 can work in the big 12, you def have to have the right combo of players and speed, well see

Frog89

One of June Jones' first hilarious statements he made upon getting the new coaching job at SMU was that the metroplex was starving for some good football and he was planning on giving it to them. Gary Patterson was sitting right down the table with him at that function. He had already been winning at TCU for years. I don't think this stuff just started Saturday.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
GP has a huge chip on his shoulder, just like our entire fan base, its what motivates and drives our team, staff, and fans, sometimes when a comment is made about TCU football it pisses us off even if it wasn't intended too, pretty sure that's what happened here

Also I think GP made these comments to show his team he's got their backs, especially when it comes to officiating. This is the 1st time I can ever remember him criticizing officiating, ever, so it must have been pretty bad looking back at the tape

JurisFrog

I suspect there was something negative in the Dallas Morning News.

But, of course, the DMN has become subscription-based and thus entirely irrelevant. So, I doubt anybody knows other than those who actually read the physical paper.

pcf

Well, something set him off... You know that he doesn't like Briles, but he gave them nothing but respect afterwards. He's supposedly friends w/ June, so something more to this than meets the eye.

Also, let's not overlook the "open taunting of the TCU sideline after the game" (words directly from the Engle blog). The comments about "looking down on FW" is probably something that he's just now understanding. These are his young ones & he feels like they've been disrespected - something is completely against his character & what he tries to teach his teams. Papa Frog is pissed.

I remember in '04 when USF players were celebrating beating us and some of their players pulled up sod and took it with them to the locker rooms. GP said nothing about that... so he's pretty understanding.

Something happened more than what's being reported.

All that said, if I'm a player and I wasn't fired up before, then I am now.

Face it, the guy's not a politician. That's why so many love him.

To some, it will look like sour grapes. Oh well.

If he's mad, then I'm mad with him. Coach has asked fans to chill before. He's also explained some comments from certain coaches.

TCU got lucky he came into their midst. You gotta trust him at this point.

Frog89

i liken it to people finlly catching up to the spread, i mean look what leach did to gp in 04, then look what gp did to leach in 06 after he studied that offense, things finally catch up with you in the end if you dont mix it up

i think allot of people are still unsure if the 4-2-5 can work in the big 12, you def have to have the right combo of players and speed, well see

aint nobody can shoe horn T tech into a conversation like you, man... gotta tip my cap to you man. You are relentless.