• The KillerFrogs

Patterson’s exodus and what could have been…

FrogBall09

Disagree. Founders and CEOs of companies that split amicably often sit on boards as advisors. I’m not saying he would be coaching the defense, but I think it’s insane to think that any DC in the country wouldn’t be interested in Gary’s input.

If Patterson had worked with administration for a healthy transition of leadership rather than severing ties, I think he still could be an asset to this program and, yes, it would have added to his legacy in my book. There is a big difference between a firing and a retiring.
The only time that happens in the business world is when the “Founder” has chosen to retire…not when they are fired….there was zero chance of him staying involved at TCU when the decision was made to remove him as our coach

FrogBall09

In NO event would Patterson be involved AT ALL in game planning.

Should he be glad handing, drinking booze in the AGCS clubs and suites, cashing a nice “ambassador” paycheck, raising a little money, posing by his statue with fans for pics, enjoying this amazing ride, and getting way too much credit while just wearing purple and existing? Yes.

But even if he’d taken the retirement offer, parade, and ambassador gig he should’ve taken, he absolutely should not have any role in prepping the team or coaches etc. This is Dykes’ program now.
How much did this fake Ambassador role pay? I have to know from someone that continues to push the narrative that he was offered some role at TCU that doesn’t exist…

FrogBall09

here is one major problem in your scenario

damn near every facet of gillespie's defense is contrary to gary's be it alignment, scheme, philosophy, personnel, to technique

flexibility was never a strength for gary nor playing well with others so aside from breaking down the tendencies of the michigan offense exactly how would there be interaction?
I think the idea around having GP involved with this staff is terrible - he is gone until he decides he wants to retire - but the concept that our staff could use some advice from a coach that has actually played in games of this level is not - I hope they have contacted someone to talk about what they and the team should expect and how to avoid the pitfalls. Our 2009 team isn’t the first or last team to lose a game because they got distracted by bright lights,big city and no one on our staff has ever played or coached in a game even close to this big

Eight

I think the idea around having GP involved with this staff is terrible - he is gone until he decides he wants to retire - but the concept that our staff could use some advice from a coach that has actually played in games of this level is not - I hope they have contacted someone to talk about what they and the team should expect and how to avoid the pitfalls. Our 2009 team isn’t the first or last team to lose a game because they got distracted by bright lights,big city and no one on our staff has ever played or coached in a game even close to this big

don't disagree that there would be value in talking with a coach who has been in the cfp, maybe even a guy like luke fickel who had to deal with all the questions about do you belong here

HornyWartyToad

My wife gets mad at me when I bring up dinosaurs. She says I talk non-stop about dinosaurs. So now, when I’m around her, I just stay silent…like the “p” in pterodactyl.
As you are undoubtedly aware, I consider myself somewhat of an authority on evolution, despite never having studied it. Specifically, how some extinct dinosaurs evolved into modern-day species.
One of the more amazing evolutions is the present-day boobies. . . Most people would never guess that a relatively small modern seabird could possibly have been the result of the evolutionary adaptation of a large land-based 4-legged creature, the Triceruptops.

Moose Stuff

Beyond terrible. Keep GP as far away from this staff as possible.

HToady

Saw CGP at Colonial last Friday for gumbo. He was wearing a light blue golf shirt. Greeted everyone was very nice. Didn’t have on any longhorn or TCU clothing. I’m sure now that the knee jerk has subsided and we’re headed to the CFP he may understand better. Still does a lot for Ft Worth

FrogBall09

What’s your angle here? Are you doubting that TCU offered him an off-ramp?
Yes - I know for a fact that there was NEVER a paid job at TCU for a new role approved for GP and no role within our athletics department for him even as an existing advisor - which would have been a disaster anyway and something Sonny would have never agreed to

So what was this ambassador job everyone acts like he turned down at TCU but instead choice Texas?

Was he going to teach Frog Camp? Give tours to prospects? We’re we kicking off a Trustee mid term? Or were we going to fire Don Whelan and make him the chief fundraiser?

Or did people think he was going to walk around the club during games and shake hands and sign footballs for money?

Surely you guys that keep telling this story have something tangible about what his role would have been…

The best thing that happened is he left campus - for both GP and Sonny

TCUdirtbag

Yes - I know for a fact that there was NEVER a paid job at TCU for a new role approved for GP and no role within our athletics department for him even as an existing advisor - which would have been a disaster anyway and something Sonny would have never agreed to

So what was this ambassador job everyone acts like he turned down at TCU but instead choice Texas?

Was he going to teach Frog Camp? Give tours to prospects? We’re we kicking off a Trustee mid term? Or were we going to fire Don Whelan and make him the chief fundraiser?

Or did people think he was going to walk around the club during games and shake hands and sign footballs for money?

Surely you guys that keep telling this story have something tangible about what his role would have been…

The best thing that happened is he left campus - for both GP and Sonny
Of course they didn’t “offer him a job” in the literal sense. That’s not how it works. There was a plan for how an ultimate transition would go. Those plans fell apart when Gary was defiant and burned bridges. But the plans included working out a plan to keep Gary around as part of the family—akin to other successful retirements (like Snyder’s second at K-State). The way that would’ve practically worked out was by contract that settled his buyout/“retirement” and gave him a silly title and long term paycheck with lots of perks and basically zero responsibilities.

I will tell you that while this was the dream scenario/plan, many (including those that knew Gary best) were always, and rightfully so, skeptical he’d ever entertain that sort of deal in the immediate/near term and correctly predicted that he’d be too angry/vindictive to see the best, obvious, Snyder-esque path. Because he adamantly declined a graceful exit, they obviously never got so far as to structure any such courtesy role.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Of course they didn’t “offer him a job” in the literal sense. That’s not how it works. There was a plan for how an ultimate transition would go. Those plans fell apart when Gary was defiant and burned bridges. But the plans included working out a plan to keep Gary around as part of the family—akin to other successful retirements (like Snyder’s second at K-State). The way that would’ve practically worked out was by contract that settled his buyout/“retirement” and gave him a silly title and long term paycheck with lots of perks and basically zero responsibilities.

I will tell you that while this was the dream scenario/plan, many (including those that knew Gary best) were always, and rightfully so, skeptical he’d ever entertain that sort of deal in the immediate/near term and correctly predicted that he’d be too angry/vindictive to see the best, obvious, Snyder-esque path. Because he adamantly declined a graceful exit, they obviously never got so far as to structure any such courtesy role.
Correct

goldenfrog

Highly unlikely.

Spike

Seems no one remembers (it's got to be on tape somewhere) Woody punching an opposing team member on the sidelines (?after an interception?).....
Was the Clemson LB after a game clinching INT in a bowl game. I was in like 6th grade at the time, maybe 1980. It seems a few years prior he punched a camera man after they lost to Michigan.

Eight

Was the Clemson LB after a game clinching INT in a bowl game. I was in like 6th grade at the time, maybe 1980. It seems a few years prior he punched a camera man after they lost to Michigan.

yes, actually was the nose guard for clemson who intercepted art schlichter i believe and clemson upset ohio state

Froginbedford

You've got a good memory there....I had forgotten the cameraman got mugged....