• The KillerFrogs

P5 conference bowl standings: Old vs New

Interesting stats on the bowl performance of the P5 (soon to be P4) conferences. All P5 conferences have 5 bowl victories, with one more next monday. I thought I'd look at the performance of the conferences as currently standing, and what they would be next year:

Old P5 performance:

PAC 12: 5-3
Big XII: 5-4
Big 10: 5-4
SEC: 5-4
ACC: 5-6

New P4 performance:

Big 10: 8-4
Big 12: 6-3
SEC: 5-6
ACC: 5-8
PAC 12: 0-1

Wexahu

Interesting stats on the bowl performance of the P5 (soon to be P4) conferences. All P5 conferences have 5 bowl victories, with one more next monday. I thought I'd look at the performance of the conferences as currently standing, and what they would be next year:

Old P5 performance:

PAC 12: 5-3
Big XII: 5-4
Big 10: 5-4
SEC: 5-4
ACC: 5-6

New P4 performance:

Big 10: 8-4
Big 12: 6-3
SEC: 5-6
ACC: 5-8
PAC 12: 0-1
No offense, but it would hard to come up with a more meaningless set of statistics.

06DallasFrog

Teams that make the playoffs and NY6 games are in conferences that end up sending their respective lesser teams to the other bowls their conference is affiliated with. Therefore, they may have their 4th team, against the other conferences 2nd team. And, that doesn’t even include taking into account players leaving or opting out, which is a much bigger reason that bowl records are worthless… but I still read your post so there’s that.

tmcats

I am? Where?

Do you think bowl records are significant?
it's individual. for k-state, as an example, beating a solid top 20 ncstate team with avery johnson at qb for the cats was meaningful, yes. for fsu, losing like that had zero value. what oregon did to liberty told several stories. usc found a qb in their bowl win. while ohio state clearly needs to portal one. i could go on. but it depends on circumstances. to say they have no meaning is meaningless.

Last edited:

Wexahu

it's individual. for k-state, as an example, beating a solid top 20 ncstate team with avery johnson at qb for the cats was meaningful, yes. for fsu, losing like that had zero value. what oregon did to liberty told several stories. usc found a qb in their bowl win. while ohio state clearly needs to portal one. i could go on. but it depends on circumstances. to say they have no meaning is meaningless.
Ok, I guess.

Really wasn't trying to be dick (that's why I said no offense, ha) but the "interesting" part was supposedly the conference bowl records, and the difference in how they would they would be next year. Personally, I think conference bowl records are completely, entirely irrelevant.

I mean, you've got some games being played with 3rd string QBs and totally watered down rosters on either one or both sides, what significance is there in who wins those games, much less what conference they are in or going to be in?

Jet Set Frog

I used to look forward to looking at the final conference bowl records, as sometimes they were really telling regarding how deep a conference really was. The last few years I've really had to temper my enthusiasm in the metric since the transfer portal and player opt-outs have rendered few teams anywhere near the same composition in the bowl game as they were during the regular season.