• The KillerFrogs

OT - Soccer Question

Pharm Frog

I have not much better to do than watch European soccer this morning.  After some 200 minutes of nothingness in terms of goals, I finally saw a goal but it was a defender touching the ball into his own net.  Question - is there anything is some level of soccer that plays with fewer players in overtime (or extra time, whatever)?  Maybe going down to 8 a side after 90 minutes would create sufficient space to get some scoring rather than going to those penalty kicks.  Perhaps something like 6-man or 8-man American football....  Does anything like this exist in the soccer world?

DaCrief

Pharm Frog said:
I have not much better to do than watch European soccer this morning.  After some 200 minutes of nothingness in terms of goals, I finally saw a goal but it was a defender touching the ball into his own net.  Question - is there anything is some level of soccer that plays with fewer players in overtime (or extra time, whatever)?  Maybe going down to 8 a side after 90 minutes would create sufficient space to get some scoring rather than going to those penalty kicks.  Perhaps something like 6-man or 8-man American football....  Does anything like this exist in the soccer world?
No. Same format and number of players through overtime.

Purp

Pharm Frog said:
In high school we had what was called the Texas shootout in UIL that is similar to a penalty shot in hockey.

After 90 minutes there would still be two 15 minute OT periods, but if the game was still tied after that we'd have a Texas shootout in lieu of PKs and I think all levels of soccer should do this.

The ball was spotted anywhere on an imaginary line 30 yards out from the goal line. Once the shooter started to dribble the ball in the keeper was allowed to come off his line. This creates a variety of angles on each shot and requires far more skill for both the shooter and keeper. It totally removes the guessing game the keeper plays and makes it harder to score with luck.

tcufrogprince1

Believe me, after 45 min halves you are pretty tired.  The goal area opens up on those last 30 min.  Many times, like in the US mens case, we were down to 10 men anyways due to cards.  Its kind of interesting that you are suggesting rules after only watching casually.  Futbol is beautiful because there are only a couple of goals.  Its something special and hopefully spectacular.  I wouldn't expect anyone from Oakridge to understand that.  Woodlands!

Pharm Frog

tcufrogprince1 said:
Believe me, after 45 min halves you are pretty tired.  The goal area opens up on those last 30 min.  Many times, like in the US mens case, we were down to 10 men anyways due to cards.  Its kind of interesting that you are suggesting rules after only watching casually.  Futbol is beautiful because there are only a couple of goals.  Its something special and hopefully spectacular.  I wouldn't expect anyone from Oakridge to understand that.  Woodlands!

I believe it was more of a question than a suggestion.  I know that hockey started doing overtimes in some situations with fewer skaters.  Don't know if they do that anymore.  I was watching casually because I had nothing else do to (and there's no way in hell I'm clicking on that link FrogAbroad posted) and I thought I'd give it another try since I only watch US stuff and then only sparingly.  If you find 90+ minutes of nothing beautiful and someone kicking a ball into his own net beautiful, I would expect that from someone from the Woodlands.  War Eagles! FWIW - I can't really picture that Texas shootout thing but it sounds interesting at least.

ReedFrawg

Since the goalies are now all 6'5+, I would widen the goal by 1 foot and raise the cross bar 6 inches. The goal size made more sense when the goalies were 5'10.

DaCrief

Bloated Frog said:
Since the goalies are now all 6'5+, I would widen the goal by 1 foot and raise the cross bar 6 inches. The goal size made more sense when the goalies were 5'10.
Most reasonable suggestion I've heard. Maybe not an entire foot. But when you watch highlights from 20 years ago it looks like the goals were huge. Just smaller goalkeepers

FrogSwagSurfin

Pharm Frog said:
Yes, it's called indoor soccer.

I played when we had a D1 team and growing up on one of best US clubs in the nation. As an avid TCU football nerd I do understand why people don't like soccer in the US. I get that the game looks ugly and looks out of control. Stas don't matter unless you play forward or goalie and most games have two or less goals. I get it. I used to frown upon NASCAR and never understood why people watched cars going around in a circle but after attending a race I get it, go to a big time game with real fans and you might appreciate it more.

DeAndre Yedlin, an American, plays in England and is probably one of the fastest players in the world. He rarely enters the game because his skill level is two levels below the slowest guy on the field. He will always ride the bench in the EPL.
mericans are used to working up plays but that doesn't work because of the flow. We assume the biggest and fastest athletes (Lebron) would always excel but it's cerebral game so guys that relied on their physical attributes almost never become professional players. A Baylor basketball player who didn't play college football yet signed with the Cowboys to play TE, that is a laughable to professional soccer.

Now if American kids started signing with clubs at age 13, I mean quiting school and playing 7 hours a day then we could catch up. The athlete agrument is ridiculous, African teams are never that competitive (I could be more PC but it gets to the point).

Btw, I played with Darren Spores, yes the Eagles RB, when I was a kid. We called him Tank because at 12 he was basically the size he is now, he was always physically talented but he started falling back as other kids caught up in size. The game is so much more than a vertical jump and a fast shuttle run.

HFinIowa

I like the idea of removing players if there's no score. If after 7 innings there's no score then remove the shortstop. After nine innings then remove the center fielder.
Overtime in football should involve no defensive linemen.

FrogSwagSurfin

HFinIowa said:
I like the idea of removing players if there's no score. If after 7 innings there's no score then remove the shortstop. After nine innings then remove the center fielder.
Overtime in football should involve no defensive linemen.
Now that's funny. Can I suggest that after 10 innings they remove the catcher?

tcufrogprince1

GeorgeLanescaddy said:
Yes, it's called indoor soccer.

I played when we had a D1 team and growing up on one of best US clubs in the nation. As an avid TCU football nerd I do understand why people don't like soccer in the US. I get that the game looks ugly and looks out of control. Stas don't matter unless you play forward or goalie and most games have two or less goals. I get it. I used to frown upon NASCAR and never understood why people watched cars going around in a circle but after attending a race I get it, go to a big time game with real fans and you might appreciate it more.

DeAndre Yedlin, an American, plays in England and is probably one of the fastest players in the world. He rarely enters the game because his skill level is two levels below the slowest guy on the field. He will always ride the bench in the EPL.
mericans are used to working up plays but that doesn't work because of the flow. We assume the biggest and fastest athletes (Lebron) would always excel but it's cerebral game so guys that relied on their physical attributes almost never become professional players. A Baylor basketball player who didn't play college football yet signed with the Cowboys to play TE, that is a laughable to professional soccer.

Now if American kids started signing with clubs at age 13, I mean quiting school and playing 7 hours a day then we could catch up. The athlete agrument is ridiculous, African teams are never that competitive (I could be more PC but it gets to the point).

Btw, I played with Darren Spores, yes the Eagles RB, when I was a kid. We called him Tank because at 12 he was basically the size he is now, he was always physically talented but he started falling back as other kids caught up in size. The game is so much more than a vertical jump and a fast shuttle run.

Wrong!  What do you consider best youth club in America?

FrogSwagSurfin

tcufrogprince1 said:

Wrong!  What do you consider best youth club in America?
Back in the 90s I sure did, went to nationals three times and won once. Third at the Ian Rush Tournament in Wales and second at the Plumouth Argle tournament, we to AC Sparta Prague. That was best team I've ever played against. They had a couple of 14 years old that just signed for $500k.

That said, youth soccer has changed since then but we where the TCU of club soccer, never got the respect but always one of the best.

GlendarrochFrog

All you need to know about soccer is that the Barclays Premier League is on during Saturday and Sunday mornings. If you have young kids that like to get you up at 6:00am, it gets you through the weekend until football starts at 11 on Saturdays. After you watch it for a while you will begin to love it.

OmniscienceFrog

Road Trip Frog said:
All you need to know about soccer is that the Barclays Premier League is on during Saturday and Sunday mornings. If you have young kids that like to get you up at 6:00am, it gets you through the weekend until football starts at 11 on Saturdays. After you watch it for a while you will begin to love it.
Yeah, if your not an Aston Villa fan.  Of course that won't matter now.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Watching futbol is such a beating with all the theatrical falls and two minutes later the Eurotrash up and running again. What they seem to call ball control just appears to be controlled confusion and goals just a matter of luck because there is a miraculous gap in traffic and then the celebrations, "look, I found a unicorn!" Such an honor to sit thru 90 minutes of nothingness for a nil-nil finish...