• The KillerFrogs

OT - PRP Therapy. Anybody done it before???

Punter1

I just did my first round for a hip condition..was wondering if anyone else has ever done it or had friends or family thats done it and what the results were....and how to make it as effective as possible.

PRP stands for platelet rich plasma and its a procure where they draw your own blood, spin it, and re-inselt the separated platelet rich plasma directly into the problem area. It's not cheap and was extremely painful....so I'm looking for some good stories to keep going. Online research says it's effective but I'd love to hear some real world stories if possible...thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
We've done that for years in the OR as part of ortho procedures, mainly. It seems to work well. To an Air Force person, it means Personnel Reliability Program. It is a United States Department of Defense psychological evaluation program, designed to permit only the most trustworthy individuals to have access to nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, and biological weapons. The program was first instituted during the Cold War.

Cougar/Frog

Maybe you should just get hip replacement. I just replaced both this year and it has been wonderful..... just get the anterior method if you do it, no cutting muscles

HornyWartyToad

I just did my first round for a hip condition..was wondering I'd anyone else has ever done it or had friends or family thats done it and what the results were....and how to make it as effective as possible.

PRP stands for platelet rich plasma and its a procure where they draw your own blood, spin it, and re-inselt the separated platelet rich plasma directly into the problem area. It's not cheap and was extremely painful....so I'm looking for some good stories to keep going. Online research says it's effective but I'd love to hear some real world stories if possible...thanks in advance.
Done it twice. Series of 3 times each. After the first one, when they wouldn't give me a general, I started going to the office with a massive drink of vodka. Mine is for my knee, and holy moly that is some of the worst pain- like bad dental pain x 10.
The first series worked really well, lasted about 2 years and as long as I stayed on my glucosamine and chondroitin, never had any pain.
Once the first series wore off and I did it again, it was effective at probably 60-70% of the first go-round. I'm staring down the barrel of some level of knee replacement and just trying to stave that off as long as possible. I suspect next time around I'll probably try to do stem cell instead of PRP.
Good Luck!

illini_frog

I had PRP done to help the healing of a meniscus repair. It didn’t hurt too bad but I’ve not noticed a major difference in residual tightness I’m still dealing with. But my insurance covered it so I was lucky #ThanksArmy

Punter1

Done it twice. Series of 3 times each. After the first one, when they wouldn't give me a general, I started going to the office with a massive drink of vodka. Mine is for my knee, and holy moly that is some of the worst pain- like bad dental pain x 10.
The first series worked really well, lasted about 2 years and as long as I stayed on my glucosamine and chondroitin, never had any pain.
Once the first series wore off and I did it again, it was effective at probably 60-70% of the first go-round. I'm staring down the barrel of some level of knee replacement and just trying to stave that off as long as possible. I suspect next time around I'll probably try to do stem cell instead of PRP.
Good Luck!

That's great info...and yea, I've only thrown up once in my life and I almost did after that shot. Intense pain that made me lightheaded and naucious. A general wasn't offered...and I don't drink so I'm screwed.

So you're a fan of glucosamine and chondroitin?? You think it helps???

Punter1

I had PRP done to help the healing of a meniscus repair. It didn’t hurt too bad but I’ve not noticed a major difference in residual tightness I’m still dealing with. But my insurance covered it so I was lucky #ThanksArmy

My insurance doesn't cover it...any trick you pulled into making them cover it?? Or is it just because you've earned some badass Army insurance???

Punter1

Maybe you should just get hip replacement. I just replaced both this year and it has been wonderful..... just get the anterior method if you do it, no cutting muscles

Yep...My hip orthopedic said it's not a bad surgery, as you said....and I know one day it's gonna happen, so I agree....I'm headed that way and I'm not dreading it.

He told me you can walk the same day and the goal is to be able to walk a mile in 30 days....is that about right??

Cougar/Frog

My hip orthopedic said it's not a bad surgery....and I know one day it's gonna happen, so I agree....I'm headed that way.

He told me you can walk the same day and the goal is to be able to walk a mile in 30 days....is that about right??

I was walking right after surgery. Climbed stairs 2 days after. Was off work 2 weeks. Very good surgery.

Cougar/Frog

Wow...how old are you?? And was yours because your hip became arthritic??
Early 50s. Bilateral osteoarthritic hip dysphagia. I had injured one hip as a teen, just dealt with pain, talking with doctors every few years. Then other hip wore out and I could barely walk or stand.

1 hip was popping out nonstop and the other had severe bone spurs.

I had the surgeries 3 months apart. I feel great. Just having the pain gone was a huge bonus. Still having swelling in one leg and get worn out of I do too much, but it has only been 3 weeks, so I can't complain.

Punter1

Early 50s. Bilateral osteoarthritic hip dysphagia. I had injured one hip as a teen, just dealt with pain, talking with doctors every few years. Then other hip wore out and I could barely walk or stand.

1 hip was popping out nonstop and the other had severe bone spurs.

I had the surgeries 3 months apart. I feel great. Just having the pain gone was a huge bonus. Still having swelling in one leg and get worn out of I do too much, but it has only been 3 weeks, so I can't complain.

Thats awesome. When do you anticipate/are scheduled to be back to 100%??

Cougar/Frog

Thats awesome. When do you anticipate/are scheduled to be back to 100%??
I feel 1000 times better already. I feel like training for a marathon, but will start with a 5k. I am restricted from training for anything for 3 months post surgery, so just walking now.

Still, walking is pretty easy.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Bilateral osteoarthritic hip dysphagia.
R.10db17f6c2edadba03bc867239b53d76

Punter1

I feel 1000 times better already. I feel like training for a marathon, but will start with a 5k. I am restricted from training for anything for 3 months post surgery, so just walking now.

Still, walking is pretty easy.

Thanks for all the info...all of yall....this will definitely help keep my attitude positive moving forward.