• The KillerFrogs

OT: New Texas A&M school of law building downtown Fort Worth

Dogfrog

If I understood the reports (and if my memory is good) at the time, Wesleyan asked TCU for $20,000,000 cash and other serious considerations. In an era when there are more new lawyers than there are entry-level lawyer jobs, that's a shocking "ask" for what was essentially a brand new law school.

Not surprised the Aggies took the bait. Glad TCU did not.

I am surprised A'nM didn't more the whole thing, records, books, and classroom faculty, to College Station. If they want their "flagship campus" to have the cache of being home to a law school like UTx's is*, shouldn't the law school actually be on campus?

*and Baylor's, and SMU's, etc.

I have a son who is an A&M grad, and with all due respect College Station is in Bum-scheiss, which is perfect for SEC football but I think a first class law school benefits greatly from being in DFW - and kudos to A&M for referring to the metroplex as FW-Dallas in all their promotional stuff.

Pharm Frog

I have a son who is an A&M grad, and with all due respect College Station is in Bum-scheiss, which is perfect for SEC football but I think a first class law school benefits greatly from being in DFW - and kudos to A&M for referring to the metroplex as FW-Dallas in all their promotional stuff.

Two things:

1) Agree on College Station-Bryan area and the benefit of FTW-Dallas location for the law school
2) Suspect parenting (jk)

TCUdirtbag

It is frequently complex. For example, Baylor College of Dentistry is part of the Texas A&M Health Science Center and Baylor College of Medicine is no longer affiliated with Baylor University. Baylor Scott & White Health is a clinical campus of Texas A&M College of Medicine in Dallas and Temple. Although the Temple clinical campus is transitioning to become a branch campus of Baylor College of Medicine in 2023 and all TAMU COM activities will move from Temple to expand the Dallas campus at Baylor University Medical Center.
Very complicated group of affiliations. The UT system is much more straightforward.
Of note, we will soon have 16 medical schools in Texas.
UTMB-Galveston-MD
Baylor College of Medicine (Houston)-MD
UT Southwestern-Dallas-MD
UT Houston-MD
UT San Antonio-MD
Texas Tech Lubbock-MD
Texas A&M-MD
Texas Tech El Paso-MD
University of North Texas (TCOM)-DO
UT Dell Austin-MD
UT Rio Grande Valley-MD
Incarnate Word (San Antonio)-DO
TCU-Univ North Texas-MD
University of Houston-MD
Sam Houston State University-DO
UT-Tyler-MD

Wow — I had never heard of the IW school. And I didn’t realize SHSU would be a DO program. How is the growth in new residencies going? Enough to absorb all the new MD/DO grads out of these new schools? I saw UT system added a bunch (200?) in east Texas when they acquired a hospital system and announced the UT Tyler MD school and HSC merger. Have there been big adds elsewhere?

TCUdirtbag

Re: A&M in downtown Fort Worth.

The law school doesn’t threaten TCU. I am actually very impressed with the money they’ve poured in and the law school’s quick rise. IMO it’s about to be firmly entrenched in that group of SMU-Baylor-UH as the “best in Texas not named UT” tier of law schools. Great for Fort Worth.

That said: TCU needs to watch out for A&M’s potential addition of public school priced programs that would directly compete with TCU. I fully expect them to launch a Fort Worth based MBA program once they have the new facility constructed downtown.

TCUdirtbag

In what metric? Neither school places students into high paying “big law” firms that can actually compensate you to pay off those law school loans

A&M is killing Tech’s ability to recruit competitive students. Tech was the public law school for north Texas. If you didn’t want to go to Houston and couldn’t pay Baylor/SMU prices, you went to Lubbock. They weren’t putting big #s in biglaw, but they certainly put some out. I’m a UT lawyer and worked with some Tech guys in Houston big law. Know some in Austin and DFW too.

A&M has quickly moved past the abysmal Wesleyan reputation and has begun breaking into the big law market—even if barely. In almost every metric A&M has or will soon surpass Tech. Quite simply, A&M is trending up at Tech’s expense. And they’re starting to pull a few from the SMU/Baylor crowd through lower costs.

Pharm Frog

Re: A&M in downtown Fort Worth.

The law school doesn’t threaten TCU. I am actually very impressed with the money they’ve poured in and the law school’s quick rise. IMO it’s about to be firmly entrenched in that group of SMU-Baylor-UH as the “best in Texas not named UT” tier of law schools. Great for Fort Worth.

That said: TCU needs to watch out for A&M’s potential addition of public school priced programs that would directly compete with TCU. I fully expect them to launch a Fort Worth based MBA program once they have the new facility constructed downtown.

Maybe so but that’s already a crowded field and the trend is online anyway. I have four direct reports working on MBAs and all are online.

tcudoc

Wow — I had never heard of the IW school. And I didn’t realize SHSU would be a DO program. How is the growth in new residencies going? Enough to absorb all the new MD/DO grads out of these new schools? I saw UT system added a bunch (200?) in east Texas when they acquired a hospital system and announced the UT Tyler MD school and HSC merger. Have there been big adds elsewhere?
Residency growth is much more modest than medical school growth.

Pharm Frog

A&M is killing Tech’s ability to recruit competitive students. Tech was the public law school for north Texas. If you didn’t want to go to Houston and couldn’t pay Baylor/SMU prices, you went to Lubbock. They weren’t putting big #s in biglaw, but they certainly put some out.

A&M has quickly moved past the abysmal Wesleyan reputation and has begun breaking into the big law market—even if barely. In almost every metric A&M has or will soon surpass Tech. Quite simply, A&M is trending up at Tech’s expense. And they’re starting to pull a few from the SMU/Baylor crowd through lower costs.

Two of my best friends are Tech law grads and they concur with this.

TCUdirtbag

Is there really any value to an MBA unless it comes from 10 schools?

I would argue: often “no” — especially if you have an undergrad business degree (or similar, ie econ). In some situations they can also be used as a career “reset”. I know some guys that graduated in the middle of the 2008-10 recession that took substandard jobs then went and reset after an MBA around 2012-15 and it seemed helpful in jumping back to where they should’ve been career-wise.

By and large, many are just becoming cash cow programs for the masses and helpful in a worth-the-money way for less than half of those completing them.