• The KillerFrogs

OT: New Texas A&M school of law building downtown Fort Worth

froginaustin

A&M bought at the top of the market. Now, that market has crashed.

TCU chose wisely...

If I understood the reports (and if my memory is good) at the time, Wesleyan asked TCU for $20,000,000 cash and other serious considerations. In an era when there are more new lawyers than there are entry-level lawyer jobs, that's a shocking "ask" for what was essentially a brand new law school.

Not surprised the Aggies took the bait. Glad TCU did not.

I am surprised A'nM didn't more the whole thing, records, books, and classroom faculty, to College Station. If they want their "flagship campus" to have the cache of being home to a law school like UTx's is*, shouldn't the law school actually be on campus?

*and Baylor's, and SMU's, etc.

BABYFACE

The law school that could have been TCU's. Probably a good decision though.

I am just speculating here and have no first hand, second hand, or Chipotle leak type info. Just an observation on my part.

TCU opening a medical school at the University of North Texas health center in FTW was smart, because UNTHSC had the infrastructure in place with all the programs, including D.O. Just no MD program. So, a good partnership for both parties.

This is where I jump the track. I did not realize TCU was doing med school classes at the TCU campus in addition to those at the University of North Texas facility. Plus, I mentioned previously the lack of any signage at the University of North Texas facility that would indicate TCU has a medical school there.

I think the arrangement with University of North Texas is going to be only temporary. Give TCU 5-6 years of operating a med school, then they look to build their own building/hospital on the TCU campus and part ways with University of North Texas. Maybe it’s just me, but it says a lot when almost half the medical classes are on the TCU campus. Maybe it is nothing and I am wrong, but I think TCU has an endgame in place.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I am surprised A'nM didn't more the whole thing, records, books, and classroom faculty, to College Station. If they want their "flagship campus" to have the cache of being home to a law school like UTx's is*, shouldn't the law school actually be on campus?

*and Baylor's, and SMU's, etc.
Watched my Nephew graduate on Friday night down in College Station (Architecture. Is starting at an excellent firm in Fort Worth! I am unspeakably proud!). He was in the last group of graduates, which included the Law School. I did ask that question of some of the folks down there, and the most common answer was a wave of an arm, followed by "Well, we have plenty of room to build it here!"

tcudoc

I am just speculating here and have no first hand, second hand, or Chipotle leak type info. Just an observation on my part.

TCU opening a medical school at the University of North Texas health center in FTW was smart, because UNTHSC had the infrastructure in place with all the programs, including D.O. Just no MD program. So, a good partnership for both parties.

This is where I jump the track. I did not realize TCU was doing med school classes at the TCU campus in addition to those at the University of North Texas facility. Plus, I mentioned previously the lack of any signage at the University of North Texas facility that would indicate TCU has a medical school there.

I think the arrangement with University of North Texas is going to be only temporary. Give TCU 5-6 years of operating a med school, then they look to build their own building/hospital on the TCU campus and part ways with University of North Texas. Maybe it’s just me, but it says a lot when almost half the medical classes are on the TCU campus. Maybe it is nothing and I am wrong, but I think TCU has an endgame in place.
What you said may be true, but there is likely a bit more to the story.
University of North Texas wanted to open an allopathic (MD) school to run concurrently with its osteopathic (DO) school. I heard it angered quite a few of the osteopathic alumni. The state legislators also thought it was a bad idea to have two programs under the same roof, so it was rejected by the state legislature. That is where TCU came into play. If TCU took the lead and co-branded with University of North Texas, it could get approved. University of North Texas had the infrastructure and TCU had a lot of the other requirements needed. I believe that TCU taking the lead on the branding is intentional to distinguish it from TCOM (UNTHSC). The new school is in its infancy, so it is just classroom activity for the first two years (some schools now do 18 months). So, the first class has likely done little if any actual clinical work. I suspect that the University of North Texas side of the collaboration will become much more prominent as they move into the clinical years.
**I am not at all involved and all of this is only speculation based somewhat on some data gathered over the years. I may not have all of the facts but I believe the general idea of my post is relatively accurate.

TCU_backer

I can confirm that BSW All Saints has agreed to donate land on their campus when they are ready to take that step forward.

tcudoc

Watched my Nephew graduate on Friday night down in College Station (Architecture. Is starting at an excellent firm in Fort Worth! I am unspeakably proud!). He was in the last group of graduates, which included the Law School. I did ask that question of some of the folks down there, and the most common answer was a wave of an arm, followed by "Well, we have plenty of room to build it here!"
It is frequently complex. For example, Baylor College of Dentistry is part of the Texas A&M Health Science Center and Baylor College of Medicine is no longer affiliated with Baylor University. Baylor Scott & White Health is a clinical campus of Texas A&M College of Medicine in Dallas and Temple. Although the Temple clinical campus is transitioning to become a branch campus of Baylor College of Medicine in 2023 and all TAMU COM activities will move from Temple to expand the Dallas campus at Baylor University Medical Center.
Very complicated group of affiliations. The UT system is much more straightforward.
Of note, we will soon have 16 medical schools in Texas.
UTMB-Galveston-MD
Baylor College of Medicine (Houston)-MD
UT Southwestern-Dallas-MD
UT Houston-MD
UT San Antonio-MD
Texas Tech Lubbock-MD
Texas A&M-MD
Texas Tech El Paso-MD
University of North Texas (TCOM)-DO
UT Dell Austin-MD
UT Rio Grande Valley-MD
Incarnate Word (San Antonio)-DO
TCU-Univ North Texas-MD
University of Houston-MD
Sam Houston State University-DO
UT-Tyler-MD

Pharm Frog

It is frequently complex. For example, Baylor College of Dentistry is part of the Texas A&M Health Science Center and Baylor College of Medicine is no longer affiliated with Baylor University. Baylor Scott & White Health is a clinical campus of Texas A&M College of Medicine in Dallas and Temple. Although the Temple clinical campus is transitioning to become a branch campus of Baylor College of Medicine in 2023 and all TAMU COM activities will move from Temple to expand the Dallas campus at Baylor University Medical Center.
Very complicated group of affiliations. The UT system is much more straightforward.
Of note, we will soon have 16 medical schools in Texas.
UTMB-Galveston-MD
Baylor College of Medicine (Houston)-MD
UT Southwestern-Dallas-MD
UT Houston-MD
UT San Antonio-MD
Texas Tech Lubbock-MD
Texas A&M-MD
Texas Tech El Paso-MD
University of North Texas (TCOM)-DO
UT Dell Austin-MD
UT Rio Grande Valley-MD
Incarnate Word (San Antonio)-DO
TCU-Univ North Texas-MD
University of Houston-MD
Sam Houston State University-DO
UT-Tyler-MD

Correct...and remember that UTSW and THR/THPG have their own collaboration and wouldn’t be a bit surprised now to see BS&W go back for another attempt at Memorial Hermann.