• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
We went to see The Holdovers yesterday. I’d missed it during its first theater release but I guess the Oscar nominations prompted a limited rerun. It’s worth a look. It ain’t the best picture and Da’Vine and Giamotti are likely not going to win either but it’s solid entertainment.

On this subject it’s think Penelope Cruz was robbed. Not only should she have been nominated for her performance in Ferrari, she should have been a strong to very strong candidate to win. Don’t get me started on Gerwig and Robbie. Each definitely deserved a nomination

JugbandFrog

It was okay.
"12 O'clock High" the movie was better.
Hopefully it will get better.
They are not tackling the problem of a character(s) to care about. You don’t FEEL the immense absurdity of the daytime bombing campaign and the losses incurred in order to make this hit the way The Pacific did.

The Pacific tackled it well with sort of mini-stories.

I like it though. Bombing scenes are well done.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I prefer my bombing scenes medium rare…
These are both juicy & ugly. As well as hard to digest.

P.S. 8th Air Force is overall numbered AF unit over-seeing all bombing out of England over the Nazis. And also where I started out waaay back in ‘85, fresh outta basic DDA to Loring AFB, Maine……in February. Fell on the ice my first day there & broke my arm. The next day i was issued my cold-weather gear & muk-luks. Too late for this dumb texas kid, never seen that much snow/ice in my life. Welcome to the 8th.

They are not tackling the problem of a character(s) to care about. You don’t FEEL the immense absurdity of the daytime bombing campaign and the losses incurred in order to make this hit the way The Pacific did.

The Pacific tackled it well with sort of mini-stories.

I like it though. Bombing scenes are well done.

If anyone knows anything about bombing runs its you.

Atomic Frawg

I think pretending Chris never existed was the bigger crime.

But yes, Kerry was MASSIVE. You mention Warrio, that whole "Ultimate Warrior died and they replaced him" rumor that we all heard at recess was because people thought it was Kerry Von Erich under the face paint.
I worked at Will Rogers Coliseum in high school, which happened to be the heyday of WCCW. In fact, Mark LaRance (sp), the interviewer, even ended up being a long-term sub in one of my classes. The matches were held on Tuesdays (IIRC) but didn't get aired until Saturdays. So, I had to keep things under wraps. He got mad at me one day because I told some of the fellas he got choked out with his necktie by a wrestler.

Anyways, I had regular access backstage, and, yes, Kerry was a very big man. Surprisingly, Rick Rude and the Missing Link were freakishly big in-person. I once saw the Great Kabuki in the kitchen area of the Roundup Inn at Will Rogers. He was on a pay phone smoking a cigarette. I literally froze when I came around the corner to get a keg because up until that moment it never occurred to me that he could talk - let alone that I would see him chilling on the phone with a square. I couldn't wait to get to school the next day to tell people Kabuki could talk.

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I worked at Will Rogers Coliseum in high school, which happened to be the heyday of WCCW. In fact, Mark LaRance (sp), the interviewer, even ended up being a long-term sub in one of my classes. The matches were held on Tuesdays (IIRC) but didn't get aired until Saturdays. So, I had to keep things under wraps. He got mad at me one day because I told some of the fellas he got choked out with his necktie by a wrestler.

Anyways, I had regular access backstage, and, yes, Kerry was a very big man. Surprisingly, Rick Rude and the Missing Link were freakishly big in-person. I once saw the Great Kabuki in the kitchen area of the Roundup In at Will Rogers. He was on a pay phone smoking a cigarette. I literally froze when I came around the corner to get a keg because up until that moment it never occurred to me that he could talk - let alone that I would see him chilling on the phone with a square. I couldn't wait to get to school the next day to tell people Kabuki could talk.
Liked for calling a cig a square

Zubaz

Anyways, I had regular access backstage, and, yes, Kerry was a very big man. Surprisingly, Rick Rude and the Missing Link were freakishly big in-person. I once saw the Great Kabuki in the kitchen area of the Roundup Inn at Will Rogers. He was on a pay phone smoking a cigarette. I literally froze when I came around the corner to get a keg because up until that moment it never occurred to me that he could talk - let alone that I would see him chilling on the phone with a square. I couldn't wait to get to school the next day to tell people Kabuki could talk.
I got to TCU in 2000. World Class was long dead by then but my biggest wrestling regret is never going to the Sportatorium and seeing some random show before they knocked it down.

PurpleBlood87

When I would go to Will Rogers wrestling was on Monday nights.
A friend at church ran security for wrestling and would get us in free.
Always sat in the back row on the floor across from the main camera then when the action would lull we'd stand up and start cheer so we could see ourselves on camera on Saturday night. We were stupid and in high school.