• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

LSU Game Attendee

Hope they use Ronstadt’s voice. Don’t think Selena Gomez’s voice is anywhere near Ronstadt’s. Such a shame she can’t sing anymore.
samuel l jackson senor love daddy GIF

stbrab

I’ve been watching a lot of Apple TV lately. Several excellent series I’d recommend:
1) - Ted Lasso - goes without saying and most of you have seen it.
2) - Slow Horses - just finished the current season…great series.
3) - Lessons in Chemistry - watched with my wife, didn’t know if I’d like it, but entertaining. If you want something to watch with your wife, this is it.
4) - Silo - futuristic, very entertaining.
5) - Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - currently watching. Only for those that enjoy Godzilla/Kong…if you do, great series. It gives a lot a background the movies don’t give.
6) - For All Mankind - currently watching. Alternate universe where the Russians beat us to the moon. Seems far fetched, but that’s what these types of show do. Entertaining.
7) - Hijack - currently watching. Very entertaining.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I’ve been watching a lot of Apple TV lately. Several excellent series I’d recommend:
3) - Lessons in Chemistry - watched with my wife, didn’t know if I’d like it, but entertaining. If you want something to watch with your wife, this is it.
5) - Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - currently watching. Only for those that enjoy Godzilla/Kong…if you do, great series. It gives a lot a background the movies don’t give.
6) - For All Mankind - currently watching. Alternate universe where the Russians beat us to the moon. Seems far fetched, but that’s what these types of show do. Entertaining.
Must see Greyhound

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I officially apologize for being duped by a very good commercial for the beekeeper. After seeing it yesterday I thoroughly un -recommend it to anyone to save your $12. Too loud, too long, too much suspension of disbelief required, too many bad side characters running around in stupid costumes with machine guns. Too many whiny teenagers with scruff and bad hair yelling F every 90 seconds—just too much. The beekeeper movie actually made the original Transporter film look like The Godfather.

jack the frog

You’ve talked me into re-subscribing to Apple TV. I’ve really grown tired on these international new releases dubbed into seven languages on Netflix. They try to pass it off as English but the dialogue is always so flat. Probably ten of those things making the new release circuit on NF right now.

FrogPreacher

You’ve talked me into re-subscribing to Apple TV. I’ve really grown tired on these international new releases dubbed into seven languages on Netflix. They try to pass it off as English but the dialogue is always so flat. Probably ten of those things making the new release circuit on NF right now.
I really like Apple TV. You might want to take a look at the series "See" with Jason Momoa. Good post apocalyptic genre. Also the reason I got Apple TV in the first place was to see the movie "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks. His movie "Finch" is good as well.
And Silo is awesome as well as Foundation. Though it's been so long since I read the books that I'm not sure how well they are keeping with the books.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
And Silo is awesome as well as Foundation. Though it's been so long since I read the books that I'm not sure how well they are keeping with the books.
I often wonder why they bother spending money on buying the rights to things like Foundation when they completely abandon the story, plotline, and all the aspects of the narrative, and the only thing resembling the books are a few character and place names. They could have made those up, too, and saved a lot of money...

Asimov himself never really thought the books would make a good film. "All the action takes place with three or four guys in a room, talking."

JugbandFrog

I really like Apple TV. You might want to take a look at the series "See" with Jason Momoa. Good post apocalyptic genre. Also the reason I got Apple TV in the first place was to see the movie "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks. His movie "Finch" is good as well.
See is excellent

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

You talked me into subscribing to Apple TV, too.

JogginFrog

too much suspension of disbelief required
This is my problem with movies these days. I find myself thinking more about the Gen-Z screenwriters who said to each other, "Y'know what'd be sick?!" than about the characters on the screen.

And an extra eye roll for fight scenes that go on for 5+ minutes with nobody getting hurt.

Now get your multiverse off of my lawn.

Ron Swanson

“Shrinking” with Jason Segal and Harrison Ford is very good, too.

BrewingFrog

There are others worth watching as well. I know you’re retired from the military. There’s an excellent WW2 naval movie called Greyhound with Tom Hanks. Also, later this month a WW2 mini-series called Masters of the Air will air. It’s from the same people that produced Band of Brothers and the Pacific.
BoB and The Pacific were both so good because they were true to the source materiel from which they drew their stories. I can only hope that Masters Of The Air will do so as well.

Greyhound was adapted from a short story/novella titled The Good Shepherd by C.S. Forester, who also wrote the Horatio Hornblower stories. Forester is an excellent writer, who uses an economy of words to paint vibrant pictures. I cannot recommend his books enough.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I often wonder why they bother spending money on buying the rights to things like Foundation when they completely abandon the story, plotline, and all the aspects of the narrative, and the only thing resembling the books are a few character and place names. They could have made those up, too, and saved a lot of money...

Asimov himself never really thought the books would make a good film. "All the action takes place with three or four guys in a room, talking."
I did not read the foundation books so officially I am uneducated, but the series on Apple I found enthralling, good story, great characters, outstanding music, sumptuous film sets, good CGI.

BrewingFrog

I did not read the foundation books so officially I am uneducated, but the series on Apple I found enthralling, good story, great characters, outstanding music, sumptuous film sets, good CGI.
Read the danged books!

They're an easy read. Asimov originally wrote the stories in serial form in the 30s-40s, published in one of the SF pulps of the time (IIRC, Astounding Stories). He took a long break from Foundation until he wrote Foundation's Edge in 1982. This effort tried to tie in some of his other tales (the Spacer and Robots stories) into a unified timeline.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I officially apologize for being duped by a very good commercial for the beekeeper. After seeing it yesterday I thoroughly un -recommend it to anyone to save your $12. Too loud, too long, too much suspension of disbelief required, too many bad side characters running around in stupid costumes with machine guns. Too many whiny teenagers with scruff and bad hair yelling F every 90 seconds—just too much. The beekeeper movie actually made the original Transporter film look like The Godfather.
Not realistic, but then it’s not a documentary. We enjoyed it for the fantasy it was. However, it was not a very well hidden theft of Denzel’s Equalizer series.