• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

JugbandFrog

1st episode of the new Justified was good…not a fan of the Detroit location but whatever. If the rest of the season is as strong as the first episode, that show is back for sure.

The music in the first episode was great.
I like how he seems a little bit more mature, but it still gets him in trouble. bahaha.

I miss ol' Deputy US Marshall Raylen Givens.

Eight

1st episode of the new Justified was good…not a fan of the Detroit location but whatever. If the rest of the season is as strong as the first episode, that show is back for sure.

The music in the first episode was great.

remember elmore leonard used detroit as a location in a number of his stories having grown up and gone to school in detroit

write what you know

Chongo94

Second episode of Justified is out on Hulu. Just a great show. Continuing its greatness from the original run.

Also, Adelaide Clemens, more please…
JCP_102_0375r-EMBED-2023.jpg

FrogPreacher

We have a movie theater right off the town square here in small town Jefferson, Iowa. I go see a movie there from time to time, but also like to go over to one of the bigger cities, Ames, Waukee (Des Moines suburb) Des Moines to see some movies on a larger screen. Today I am going to go over to Waukee to see Oppenheimer. Also very limited dining-out choices in our little town.

Eight

Apologize if already discussed but saw “sound of freedom” tonight. Hard story to watch but a very powerful movie. Very well done IMO. Certainly hope it sparks a national/global conversation.

wife went and saw it with some friends, said it was one of the most intense movies she has seen and when they left it wasn't a subject they wanted to talk about afterwards, but felt they had to talk about

Last edited:

YA

No hate, bc I will see the movie but I’m beginning to sense Oppenheimer may be a critic’s darling but underperform with the casual movie fan. Like it or not 3 hours and R rating may hurt
Of course you are right. Americans like super hero dumb as rock type of movies. Anything that is historical or takes intelligence to follow along is a tough sale for most movie goers.

Frog-in-law1995

Same author as Bosch. This is his lawyer show where lawyers hate the cops, and Bosch is his cop show where the cops hate the lawyers.

It is very entertaining. There are some aspects of it that are hokier than they should’ve been (i.e. more in-line with a CBS/FOX type show than a Netflix type show), but it’s still very good.
Bosch and Haller are half-brothers, just FYI.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Of course you are right. Americans like super hero dumb as rock type of movies. Anything that is historical or takes intelligence to follow along is a tough sale for most movie goers.
You know surprisingly it looks like Oppenheimer will outperform predictions this weekend and earn $80M, up from a predicted $50M.

Barbie is headed to a whopping $150M, exceeding predictions by $40M. Those numbers are music to the ears of US theaters

Eight

Oppenheimer was fantastic. Saw it Friday night with my teenage son who also loved it. My only quibble was the casting of Matt Damon. He’s just way too famous to throw into a historical drama without changing his appearance. Everybody else melted into their character, but he stayed Matt Damon.

did they keep in the part where damon ask hitler and tojo if they like apples?

Bob Sugar

We saw Indiana Jones on Saturday and Mission Impossible last night. Both were good. I really liked Mission Impossible. Incredible action sequences. Indiana Jones was probably about 25 minutes too long but had a decent plot with good action.