• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

LisaLT

haven't watched it, but did breaking bad

bcs set before, after, or running concurrently w breaking bad?
it is before Breaking Bad. It tells the story of how Saul became Saul. His real name is Jimmy McGill. Saul Goodman ("it's all good man") evolves as the story unfolds. I really enjoyed watching this show. By season 2, I was hooked.

And by the way, knowing the ending, which has been widely publicized, should not at all detract from watching the series. If you have seen Breaking Bad, you kinda already know Saul is on the run in the end. He even says he will likely end up managing a Cinnabon in Omaha during the Breaking Bad final season. That is the lead into the BCS show.

I'm sorry if I gave away a bit too much for those who haven't seen the entire show, but it is a very fun show to watch.

Virginia Frog

it is before Breaking Bad. It tells the story of how Saul became Saul. His real name is Jimmy McGill. Saul Goodman ("it's all good man") evolves as the story unfolds. I really enjoyed watching this show. By season 2, I was hooked.

And by the way, knowing the ending, which has been widely publicized, should not at all detract from watching the series. If you have seen Breaking Bad, you kinda already know Saul is on the run in the end. He even says he will likely end up managing a Cinnabon in Omaha during the Breaking Bad final season. That is the lead into the BCS show.

I'm sorry if I gave away a bit too much for those who haven't seen the entire show, but it is a very fun show to watch.
"Better Call Saul" evokes the concept of the sleazy lawyer that you see on TV/Billboards/signage in just about every city. He's everyman's attorney and has to advertise for clients since no other respectable legal person would refer folks to him.

This BCS tale is a prequel to Breaking Bad (#1 TV series EVER, IMO - and I did have the opportunity to tell Brian Cranston himself back in 2019, he was almost speechless and truly humble receiving my remarks - I also told him that he'd win the Tony Award that June and he did - we had a few laughs too!). Jimmy McGill's path from being a solid legitimate, normal lawyer to becoming that sleazy, get-around-the-law type character and becoming a "fixer" of sorts.

I've binged all but the last season. Watching it is on the agenda.

LisaLT

"Better Call Saul" evokes the concept of the sleazy lawyer that you see on TV/Billboards/signage in just about every city. He's everyman's attorney and has to advertise for clients since no other respectable legal person would refer folks to him.

This BCS tale is a prequel to Breaking Bad (#1 TV series EVER, IMO - and I did have the opportunity to tell Brian Cranston himself back in 2019, he was almost speechless and truly humble receiving my remarks - I also told him that he'd win the Tony Award that June and he did - we had a few laughs too!). Jimmy McGill's path from being a solid legitimate, normal lawyer to becoming that sleazy, get-around-the-law type character and becoming a "fixer" of sorts.

I've binged all but the last season. Watching it is on the agenda.
I have really enjoyed both shows - especially Breaking Bad, which was so well cast. Cranston was brilliant in that role. I loved Jesse Pinkman too. Such great characters and terrific writing. One of my all time favorites as well.

Watching BCS made me want to re-watch BB, which I am now into season 2. Ozark was another favorite. Great characters and terrific writing. I am bummed they didn't last longer!!

tcudoc

haven't watched it, but did breaking bad

bcs set before, after, or running concurrently w breaking bad?
It is all three. There are several timelines that bounce around. So, it begins as a prequel, then a sequel, then has concurrent timelines stuck in places as well. Overlaps with some of the characters, but not too much. Many of the characters briefly pop in and out. A couple have major roles that overlap.

tcudoc

Not sure, but I now know how it ends at least
Reminds me of when my son was younger and he was trying to annoy his sisters by giving a spoiler. He had no idea how the movie ended, but he had seen a show where someone spoiled a movie for someone by simply saying, "the little sister dies." So he threw that out there. Turns out, that was a major spoiler for that particular movie, and he was only guessing. They were so pissed and he was pretty proud.

tcudoc

Finally watched Top Gun Maverick last night (thanks to Prime Video). Watched it again this morning to confirm my initial reaction.

Best. Sequel. Ever.
It's aight...

I agree with you. Usually when I go into a movie with too high expectations (because everyone has said how great it is), I end up disappointed. This time, it really did live up to the hype. I really wanted to dislike Tom Cruise because he is so odd, but I was able to disassociate him from his character and thought he did an amazing job.

The other part of it is, typically, the longer it takes them to make the sequel, the worse it is (looking at you Derek Zoolander). Not the case with this one.

Eight

It is all three. There are several timelines that bounce around. So, it begins as a prequel, then a sequel, then has concurrent timelines stuck in places as well. Overlaps with some of the characters, but not too much. Many of the characters briefly pop in and out. A couple have major roles that overlap.

sounds like someone way, way, way overthought it

Bob Sugar

It's aight...

I agree with you. Usually when I go into a movie with too high expectations (because everyone has said how great it is), I end up disappointed. This time, it really did live up to the hype. I really wanted to dislike Tom Cruise because he is so odd, but I was able to disassociate him from his character and thought he did an amazing job.

The other part of it is, typically, the longer it takes them to make the sequel, the worse it is (looking at you Derek Zoolander). Not the case with this one.
I never would have thought a Top Gun sequel would be in the discussion for my favorite movie ever made, but here we are. Need to rewatch it several times over the next few years to see where it falls out.

What Up Toad

I have really enjoyed both shows - especially Breaking Bad, which was so well cast. Cranston was brilliant in that role. I loved Jesse Pinkman too. Such great characters and terrific writing. One of my all time favorites as well.

Watching BCS made me want to re-watch BB, which I am now into season 2. Ozark was another favorite. Great characters and terrific writing. I am bummed they didn't last longer!!
I started rewatching The Sopranos. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it. It's probably my favorite of all the anti-hero shows.