• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
IIRC, the early seasons were pretty decent. I got bored with it fairly quick and can’t believe there are 15 seasons.
Your recollection is correct. Like you, I thought the first few seasons were very good. As the original cast members departed, the show declined in interest and quality. The mass casualty situations in the later seasons did become bigger, more "Hollywood" spectacular (train derailments, buses hanging off cliffs, helicopter/airplane crashes.)

By watching all 331 episodes, I did find out what happened to all the original characters...and learned who in the heck all the new people were in the closing years.

Eight

I just finished re-watching the old tv show "ER"--15 seasons; 331 episodes.

first thing i thought of was the old series emergency with gage and desoto

some on here would die with the state of the art technology used by lafd to start up the paramedic services

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Something I never thought I'd be saying...

Watched two Ryan Reynolds movies this week--The Adam Project (Netflix) and Free Guy (HBOMax). Both surprisingly good and entertaining. Free Guy is nominated for an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects

Bob Sugar

Something I never thought I'd be saying...

Watched two Ryan Reynolds movies this week--The Adam Project (Netflix) and Free Guy (HBOMax). Both surprisingly good and entertaining. Free Guy is nominated for an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects
Free guy is very entertaining if you like Ryan Reynolds’ delivery.

Chongo94

Late to grinding through/finishing 1883…does that stupid narration ever end? I’ve got about 2-3 more episodes to go and it’s just annoying as all get out.

It’s been alright so far aside from that narration and the fact that I’m supposed to believe Faith Hill is the second toughest/scariest character of the entire show.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

I really liked CODA, as well.

I wasn’t quite sure I would early on. There’s some convenient set ups in the story and it’s not necessarily hard to predict where it may be leading …. but it builds to the coda, if you will, so well that it’s hard to not to enjoy it.

Just a really well-executed movie by director Sian Heder, and the cast including Emilia Jones, Troy Kotsur, Marlee Matlin.
Saw it this weekend and liked it as well. Yes, the storyline is predictable, but I liked how every key character's frustration was relatable, even when not admirable. I said to Mrs. Joggin afterward, "I can't remember a movie with so many likeable characters." There are some heels, but the 8-10 characters with the deepest treatment all come off as sympathetic. It's a couple of hours of seeing the good in people.

Chongo94

FINALLY finished 1883…..god almighty what an almost insurmountable slog to grind through the last 3 episodes.

I did start fast forwarding through the narration though. Between that god awful lameness and the general Mary Sue nature of Elsa, I thought I might never finish.

Sheridan sure does seem to have a knack for progressively ruining his shows as they move along.

Eight

FINALLY finished 1883…..god almighty what an almost insurmountable slog to grind through the last 3 episodes.

I did start fast forwarding through the narration though. Between that god awful lameness and the general Mary Sue nature of Elsa, I thought I might never finish.

Sheridan sure does seem to have a knack for progressively ruining his shows as they move along.

why she had that gawd awful accent and yet her mother and father who were living in the same area longer didn't have one at all was as big a mystery as how she survived as far as she did with that wound and sepsis

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Made it through The Last Duel last night. Beautiful pictures, lush scenery, properly rough locations; all of the production values were top-notch. The script and acting, with the exception of Adam Driver, were just about what one would expect from a Matt Damon/Ben Affleck film. I mean, Ridley Scott directed a script written by two paint-by-numbers morons, and it turned out, well, like a movie written by two paint-by-numbers morons.

I hatey-hate-hate films that try to superimpose modern morals on distant time periods. Especially when the "morals" are all wrapped up in a literal contemporary pop-culture cause celebre.

So, to wrap up: Great visuals. No boobies. Nobody gets blowed up, but there's some righteous thwacking with swords and stuff.

Eight

Made it through The Last Duel last night. Beautiful pictures, lush scenery, properly rough locations; all of the production values were top-notch. The script and acting, with the exception of Adam Driver, were just about what one would expect from a Matt Damon/Ben Affleck film. I mean, Ridley Scott directed a script written by two paint-by-numbers morons, and it turned out, well, like a movie written by two paint-by-numbers morons.

I hatey-hate-hate films that try to superimpose modern morals on distant time periods. Especially when the "morals" are all wrapped up in a literal contemporary pop-culture cause celebre.

So, to wrap up: Great visuals. No boobies. Nobody gets blowed up, but there's some righteous thwacking with swords and stuff.

so french aristocracy with southie accents?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
so french aristocracy with southie accents?
Quite possibly the best, and most laconic film review of all time was of a terrible Al Pacino Summer Blockbuster dealing with the American Revolution. Pacino rambled through the film with his customary accent: "Da British are comin!" in such a way as to distract and annoy any viewer. The film, forgotten now, was called Revolution. At the time, Texas Monthly had a film reviewer, and his review of Revolution extended to one word: "Revolting."

Prime BEEF

Quite possibly the best, and most laconic film review of all time was of a terrible Al Pacino Summer Blockbuster dealing with the American Revolution. Pacino rambled through the film with his customary accent: "Da British are comin!" in such a way as to distract and annoy any viewer. The film, forgotten now, was called Revolution. At the time, Texas Monthly had a film reviewer, and his review of Revolution extended to one word: "Revolting."
Would’ve been so much better with a different guy in the lead role. Horrible casting job