• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
O.K. So, last night, Mrs. Brewingfrog teed up the rest of Reacher, and I sullenly sat down with a bottle of wine to endure it. And, strangely enough, in spite of the ham-fisted storytelling and "gee golly" plot twists, I enjoyed it. (It was probably the wine...)

Tomorrow, sticking with the "ham" theme, we will watch the esteemed Kenneth Branagh glue on the moustache and over-act Hercule Poirot!

FBallFan123

Anyone else underwhelmed by All The Saints of Newark?

The Many Saints of Newark was completely
underwhelming.

Good cast, good soundtrack …. bad movie.

It’s like the creators couldn’t make up their mind on what they wanted it to be.

For a Sopranos prequel, it only pays lip service to the series.

For a movie about the rise of Tony Soprano, it’s a wholly insufficient “origin” story.

For a movie that at times tries to be its own standalone movie, much of it looks and feels synthetic.

Loved that movie as a kid. Would love to rewatch it. I recall that it messed me up pretty good as a kid. I thought 18 wheelers were evil for a while. I would be curious to see if it holds up over time to be as good as I thought it was back in the day. It was a pretty simple plot line about road rage. Lots of scenes of that were nothing more than Dennis Weaver sweating bullets and in a panic.
Yep, good thoughts and yes, how much of the edge-of-your-seat intensity would be diminished now as an adult. May have been the first movie that punched me in the face; loved it. Well executed movie in its simplicity. The choice of the red car and dark dirty menacing truck made for unforgettable images. And the scenes of sputtering up the hilI, and the conclusion. I was a Dennis Weaver fan in the moment, ha ha. I only recently realized that Matt Dillon’s sidekick in Gunsmoke, Chester, was Dennis Weaver and he played that role well too.

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I installed my long-awaited Starlink system the other day. I live in the Outer Darkness, and internet service out here is slow and spotty. Thus, the appeal of the Starlink option was most intriguing. And, it has lived up to billing and more!

Why am I gushing about speedy internet service? Well, because we can now watch movies in 4K and everything, and Mrs. Brewingfrog laid out her demands for Films She Wants To Watch. Her first item was The Last Duel.

Now, I used to have a great deal of respect for Ridley Scott. I really did. And then, for some unknown reason, he dropped trou and took a big steaming dump on the film and franchise which literally made him with the execrable Prometheus. Ridley, from there on out, was off The Brewingfrog's Christmas Card List. Permanently.

The Last Duel is a Middle-Ages drama about a maybe-rape, Medieval Law, and, well, some other nonsense involving two dim-witted guys beating each other to death. Considering it "stars" (insert dumb voice here) Matt Damon, and The Famous Actor With The Lopsided Face, I couldn't have bothered to care one way or another. The other thing was that the film was put together during the Short Period In Which Hollywood Was Allegedly Concerned About Rape, which meant that the film would come in fairly dripping with The Message. I hatey hate hate "message" films. Especially "message" films that try to impress our present-day morality on the distant (in this case, 700-odd years) past. Like some old Hollywood guy said, "If you want to send a message, hire Western Union." I'm damned sure not paying for someone to beat me over the head with some imbecile message for two hours...

Anyway, she wants to watch this damned movie. I'm probably not going to last through the opening credits. Luckily, I just took delivery of Peter Kemp's Ten Years at War, so I can hide in my office until (dumb voice) Matt Damon gets his empty head cut off...
It’s funny you mention Prometheus. Not long ago my Timehop featured a little blurb I wrote the day I saw that thing. I recorded three laugh out loud moments but noted I didn’t think it was intended to be a comedy

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Back to Reacher, I am through most of the first season. It’s not as good as Bosch or Jack Ryan as far as Amazon’s exclusive shows, but I am partial to the Reacher books so I like it. That said, Stone Cold Steve Austin, with hair, is still the guy I picture as Reacher when I listen to the audiobooks and think he would have been as good or better than the lead they cast.
We’re working through Reacher. I agree with your assessment of the Ryan, Bosch, Reacher hierarchy. This Reacher is at least closer to the character, unlike the Tom Cruise attempt

Bob Sugar

wife wanted to go see the movie dog so we went yesterday

whomever cut the trailer either intentionally wanted to show a false front or it was there first time as this isn't a gi version of turner and hooch

story is predictable, acting isn't great because it is channing tatum whose best work might have been in this is the end, but the story is one the unfortunately has a strong truth to it and is very dark in some parts
Interesting. So not a movie for younger kids, which is how the trailer partially portrays it?

Bob Sugar

One of my favorite TV shows is Air Disasters on Smithsonian Channel. They did an episode on the Miracle on the Hudson. At the end, an official briefly spoke about the close examination of Sully's actions. Sounded pretty close to what the movie depicted.
Check out Air Disasters if you are interested in seeing how they investigate crashes to determine the cause. I find it fascinating and extremely well done. Of course, you may never want to fly again! :oops:
As a former pilot, I always assumed the "investigations" went something like this:
- 8:00: Investigator arrives at scene
- 8:01: Investigator takes a sip of coffee
- 8:02: Investigator declares the crash was caused by pilot error

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
As a former pilot, I always assumed the "investigations" went something like this:
- 8:00: Investigator arrives at scene
- 8:01: Investigator takes a sip of coffee
- 8:02: Investigator declares the crash was caused by pilot error
Ha, ha. Often it is pilot error, but with mitigating circumstances - training, depression, sleep deprivation, inexperience. But more often it seems to be maintainers, aircraft design, weather, ATC, or sabotage. The Concorde crash was caused by a short strip of metal that fell off the plane that took off before the Concorde. Talk about FOD!
Anyway, it's pretty interesting stuff, imo.

BrewingFrog

Mrs. Brewingfrog and I sat down to watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife the other night. It was an amusing romp, and it didn't play to the same Usual Script that Hollywood feeds us. Yes, the daughter was a Mary Sue. Yes, all male characters were dopes. Yet the simple good-heartedness of the film overwhelmed these annoyances and delivered an entertaining experience.

Of course, overshadowing all that was the loss of Harold Ramis, and this film was essentially a love letter to a departed friend.

Bob Sugar

Mrs. Brewingfrog and I sat down to watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife the other night. It was an amusing romp, and it didn't play to the same Usual Script that Hollywood feeds us. Yes, the daughter was a Mary Sue. Yes, all male characters were dopes. Yet the simple good-heartedness of the film overwhelmed these annoyances and delivered an entertaining experience.

Of course, overshadowing all that was the loss of Harold Ramis, and this film was essentially a love letter to a departed friend.
Haven't seen it yet. Do I need to show the kids the original before watching this one with them?

BrewingFrog

Haven't seen it yet. Do I need to show the kids the original before watching this one with them?
Not really, although it might help. The thing is that for us older kids, we get all the 80's stuff. This film treats the earlier films like an ancient, barely remembered history. Which it is. The 80's to kids today are as distant to them as the 30's and 40's were to us.

Show them the old ones, and then Afterlife a few weeks later.