• The KillerFrogs

OT: Lone Star Beer. Question from some of the older beer drinkers here.

HFrog1999

This is the best beer I've ever drank.

guinness-the-1798-limited-edition-double-extra-10867943.jpg

Casey T

The only two beers I’ve had that taste worse on tap than in a can/bottle are PBR and Peroni.

And fun fact about Guinness - it has less calories than Budweiser and only 15 more than Bud Light (per 12oz)

Frog79

I find the new fashion of "sour" beers to be awful. I avoid them like the plague. However, at times my lovely and talented (and long-suffering) wife will have me try one that she believes will not upset my curmudgeonly palate, and she is generally correct. The zymurgist wizards at Hop Fusion and Martin House have produced some fine examples that I actually ordered a second of. Martin House had a Beet Sour (Yes, beets. They're deadly serious.) that I found delicious at the brewery. Alas, a pack of the cans were not at all good. Some issue with the process of canning evidently.

Oh, and pickle beer is right out.
I agree - most aren't made very well. But a really good one like Cantillon lambic fresh from the keg is a wonderful treat IMHO.

fanatical frog

On a slightly different note, I would love to know who was in charge of the marketing for Tito's Vodka. That has become a wildly popular national brand in a relatively short period of time.

Sure has. Found it at a Safeway store on Maui last year. Pretty good stuff.

Strat Frog

With the availability of so many great new/craft beers on the market, not sure why anyone would still be drinking cheap domestic swill. There are literally hundreds of Texas crafts to support, and I don’t just mean IPAs, which can be off putting to many people. Go to one of the many local brewers in your area to sample their beer and hear about their passion and hard work for good beer. Head to a bar/pub that supports many beers on tap and get a flight (a sample of 4-5 beers). You may just surprise yourself with what you find you like.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
With the availability of so many great new/craft beers on the market, not sure why anyone would still be drinking cheap domestic swill. There are literally hundreds of Texas crafts to support, and I don’t just mean IPAs, which can be off putting to many people. Go to one of the many local brewers in your area to sample their beer and hear about their passion and hard work for good beer. Head to a bar/pub that supports many beers on tap and get a flight (a sample of 4-5 beers). You may just surprise yourself with what you find you like.
With a meal at a restaurant, it is sometimes best to have something inoffensive and made to a known standard. Like my example of Lone Star at the Oyster Bar: it adds to the experience of the food in a way that I can expect and appreciate. Sort of like having a Negra Modelo with a plate of good enchiladas...

4 Oaks Frog

My favorite is OPB. If I’m buying I like Shinner and Tecate.
No [ muschi ] beer for me. Forget “the spring brew with a hint of whipper-will dust” or “the Holiday brew with the essence of reindeer mush and elf dew”.
I know you guys don’t know me, but folks who do, know that I am old school about what I drink. I’m want my coffee to taste like coffee, my water to taste like water and my beer to taste like beer.
MURY KRIMUS!

Frog-in-law1995

I’ll drink a bone-chilling cold Shiner or ML (or hell, even a Coors Light) at Angelo’s any day, but I admit I’m a bit of a beer snob. Big fan of Real Ale brewery in Blanco, but especially their Belgian-style offerings: Devil’s Backbone (a tripel) and Bright Shadows (a golden ale with a dumb name but it’s a Duvel clone). Add to those two the pilsner and kolsch from Twisted X and the hefe from Live Oak, and that’s probably 90% of the beer I drink.

I’ll drink a bone-chilling cold Shiner or ML (or hell, even a Coors Light) at Angelo’s any day, but I admit I’m a bit of a beer snob. Big fan of Real Ale brewery in Blanco, but especially their Belgian-style offerings: Devil’s Backbone (a tripel) and Bright Shadows (a golden ale with a dumb name but it’s a Duvel clone). Add to those two the pilsner and kolsch from Twisted X and the hefe from Live Oak, and that’s probably 90% of the beer I drink.
Does Angelo’s have Coors now? When the Railhead opened, they had Coors draft and the mugs were colder than Angelo’s, which created the beer icee for drinking outside in the summer. My recollection back then (1992?) was Angelo’s only had Bud and Miller Lite on tap.

Frog-in-law1995

Does Angelo’s have Coors now? When the Railhead opened, they had Coors draft and the mugs were colder than Angelo’s, which created the beer icee for drinking outside in the summer. My recollection back then (1992?) was Angelo’s only had Bud and Miller Lite on tap.
They’ve got all the usual domestic suspects on tap, including Ultra. Plus shiner, Dos Equis and a couple of Rahr options.

Strat Frog

Someone who is speaking sense has joined the chat! Yes, this person gets it. Real Ale and Live Oak are OGs here in the Texas independent brewers market. Top notch beer from both. Thanks.

At one point in history, Angelo’s served more Budweiser than any restaurant in America.

At least that was the story back in the 80s.

A) Yes Angelo’s has coors — had one last I was there couple of months ago
B) nobody mugs are colder than Angelo’s

Froglaw

Dad talked about Iron City beer in WWII

When the SeaBee unit completed a big job, the reward was a couple of Iron City beers warmed nicely by the Pacific heat.

Dad was never much of a beer man

Latest posts