• The KillerFrogs

OT: Divorce Attorney

Unfortunately, my wife has made the decision to end our marriage. There's no changing her mind at this point so it looks like the once unthinkable is inevitable. So I find myself in the position of needing a divorce attorney. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. We don't have generational wealth or a massive portfolio of assets at steak but we do have a boy who will be 7 soon, house, cars, property in Granbury, retirements, etc. I just don't want to break the bank and lose a massive chunk of what I have to attorney fees but I want to make sure my rights are protected, especially when it comes to my son. My wife has been fairly reasonable but I do have some concerns. The biggest is putting a geographical restriction on how far away she can live with having joint custody. My boy is everything to me and I will fight with all I have to protect our relationship.

TIA

sketchy

I’m not attorney, but have been thru this.
I see where you stated, “my wife has been fairly reasonable, but I do have some concerns.”
I obviously don’t know what the concerns are, but is out of the question for the 2 of you to at least sit down and discuss the possibility of working out an uncontested divorce?
An attorney-mediator could help in this process.
Significantly less expensive, and the 2 of you can work out your own plan.
Having said that, those “concerns” you have may make this an impossible choice.

YA

Sorry to hear it Phormer.

Can’t remember if you’re in FW proper. But if you’re open to a FW lawyer, Tom (Dusty) Hill has represented a couple guys I know (one currently). Not at a big firm or anything but really good and shouldn’t break the bank. Offices near Hulen and Camp Bowie. Don’t know him personally so this is all second-hand.
Tom is good people and a Phi Delt. He was the chapter advisor in my day.

Endless Purple

Sorry no person to suggest, but do as much give and take on both sides as possible. Very good if you can both bring some sensibility because otherwise it will only be regret and long term damage to your son.

I got a front row seat to a really nasty divorce over child issues with their daughters. Ruined both sides. Though, one lawyer got nice property right on the Comal river just a few hundred yards upstream from the little private island. Apparently, it got enough dirt that it was studied in some law classes. One law student was really happy he got to meet the lady one day at the court house and say how it was interesting to read about.

OICU812

Thomas Michel is good but pricey. Not a bomb-thrower, astute on the law. I liked that even though his primary practice is family he’s board-certified in civil appellate law so I had high confidence in his legal analysis.
Office on Forest Park by the zoo.

Edit: This may be obvious but I’ll pass it on anyway because you’re bound to be some degree of not yourself right now: If an attorney you are considering tries to encourage you to be outraged at your wife, or displays articles of war in their office, thank them for their time and say goodbye.

Last edited:

Frogs1983

Went through this over 3 years ago. Wish you the best of luck throughout the process.

If anywhere near Plano I can refer my Lawyer, she did a great job on my behalf and wasn't all about billing hours like my ex's Attorney seemed to be.

If closer to Ft.Worth looks like you have plenty of recommendations already.

Hope you end up on the other side of this reasonably intact financially and mentally.

Surfrog

Unfortunately, my wife has made the decision to end our marriage. There's no changing her mind at this point so it looks like the once unthinkable is inevitable. So I find myself in the position of needing a divorce attorney. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. We don't have generational wealth or a massive portfolio of assets at steak but we do have a boy who will be 7 soon, house, cars, property in Granbury, retirements, etc. I just don't want to break the bank and lose a massive chunk of what I have to attorney fees but I want to make sure my rights are protected, especially when it comes to my son. My wife has been fairly reasonable but I do have some concerns. The biggest is putting a geographical restriction on how far away she can live with having joint custody. My boy is everything to me and I will fight with all I have to protect our relationship.

TIA

Damn. Been through the process myself but didn't have a child involved. Might out myself with this one but oh well. After thousands spent on legal fees and six months later, we wound up exactly on the proposal I suggested before said legal fees and time happened with offers and counter offers instead of mediation and court. If she's being reasonable still, try and draft your own settlement agreements you can live with. Start prepping documents now - all credit card statements for the duration of the marriage, bank account statements, retirement statements. It's a pretty invasive process to have to go that route. I had a mantra - Money can always be made. I walked away from a decent amount but left with a clear conscious. (Re conscious, No one did anything wrong, immoral, or illegal. I just hate greedy people and didn't want to be greedy etc).

PS on one of her counters - she proposed 95% to her and 5% to me. While I had my mantra, I didn't accept that one. Wish I was making that up.

PSS - the time since the divorce has been some of the best time I've had in recent memory. Things probably absolutely suck and the world is upside down right now but it does get better, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Lean in on your friends, be open with them.

AroundWorldFrog

Sorry to hear about this and good luck. I hope it can be amicable.

Don't let the attorneys break the bank.

A lawyer dies and goes to Heaven. "There must be some mistake," the lawyer argues. "I'm too young to die. I'm only 55." "Fifty-five?" says Saint Peter. "No, according to out calculations, you're 82." "How'd you get that?" the lawyer asks. Answers St. Peter, "We added up your time sheets."

NORMLFROG

Family law attorney here. The names that have been previously recommended are all great options. With regard to a geographic retraction, the standard practice around here is Tarrant and contiguous(any county that touches Tarrant.). I suspect that's pretty standard everywhere. Y'all can get creative and limit the geo re4striction to a city, school district ,etc. It all depends on what important to y'all.

I would second the other comment re: firebreathers. In my experience they really don't accomplish much. Our local family bar, with few exceptions, have great working relationships. Many issues have been settled over a cold beer and a chopped sammich.

Civility and perhaps friendly co-parenting are the order of the day. Y'all are joined at the hip. You're gonna have school events, birthdays, graduations, weddings, grandkids, etc. Just allow yourself some grace and focus on your audience. Kids follow examples. Treat Mom well. Ask that she treat you well. Love the kid.

NF

YA

The first day I got licensed I was sent to a family law deposition in cleburne.
3 hours later it was over. I told my client that they basically argued over forks, knifes and spoons. I would be happy to drive him to a Walmart and buy a set as it was certainly less expensive than the depo costs he just incurred. He looked me in eye and said son it isn’t about trinkets it is about revenge and making her poor.

Right then and there was my last time practicing family law as I saw the stupidity of revenge in divorce. Went back to the office and made it known I was not going to practice family law anymore. I have kept my word.

Call normal or Tom, either one will be an outstanding choice. Good luck and God bless!!