• The KillerFrogs

OT - Colonial GC

FrogBall09

Going great - even got a few dates coming up where they are going to let about 75 members go play the course to see how it handles the play, etc

Random draw of golfing members - hoping my luck is better than normal and maybe I get drawn for a chance to play it before the tourney

FrogBall09

Tiger and Rory still won’t play there…..
who cares - honestly.

The quality of field thing has always been such a beating - and now with Elevated making the divide even larger and Colonial probably never being able to be an Elevated event given where it sits in the schedule - it will only be worse.

But in the end - somewhere around 120 guys that can beat the pants off of all of us are going to show up and one of them is going to get paid millions.

It is too bad the direction pro golf is going and in the end - the unsustainable economic model created by LIV and made worse by PGAT's reaction with Elevated will most likely end up being the end of events like Colonial, the Nelson, etc - but we should have a great event on what seems to be a pretty amazing Hanse restoration until then.

And if it one day the Invitational ceases to exist - we can get our course back at one of the best times of the year for golf and put a lot less stress on it right before the heat of summer - so there is upside to that also.

I have only walked the course and probably a bit biased - but I think the discussion on what is the best course in Ft Worth is probably over once Colonial is open for play.

The TCU Football Jerk

who cares - honestly.

The quality of field thing has always been such a beating - and now with Elevated making the divide even larger and Colonial probably never being able to be an Elevated event given where it sits in the schedule - it will only be worse.

But in the end - somewhere around 120 guys that can beat the pants off of all of us are going to show up and one of them is going to get paid millions.

It is too bad the direction pro golf is going and in the end - the unsustainable economic model created by LIV and made worse by PGAT's reaction with Elevated will most likely end up being the end of events like Colonial, the Nelson, etc - but we should have a great event on what seems to be a pretty amazing Hanse restoration until then.

And if it one day the Invitational ceases to exist - we can get our course back at one of the best times of the year for golf and put a lot less stress on it right before the heat of summer - so there is upside to that also.

I have only walked the course and probably a bit biased - but I think the discussion on what is the best course in Ft Worth is probably over once Colonial is open for play.

Well, ahoy palloi

spaulding.jpg

FrogBall09

I look stupid in a hat and double breasted / gold buttons - can you even buy those anymore?

Don't worry - with my typical crappy luck, I won't see the course with my golf clubs in hand until after the pros have beat the [ Finebaum ] out of it and during the summer as it struggles to recover to a reasonable condition from the crowds, the need for speed for the tour players and the heat.....just like most years after the Invitational is over....

FrogBall09

The younger Tiger did not like courses where you couldn't just aim at the world and swing hard.
Also had a lot to do with his relationship with Amex back then and our title sponsor was MasterCard for the first 6 years of his career and then was BofA

So he was pretty set in his schedule by the time his main sponsor and Colonial’s weren’t competitors

Also had a lot to do with his relationship with Amex back then and our title sponsor was MasterCard for the first 6 years of his career and then was BofA

So he was pretty set in his schedule by the time his main sponsor and Colonial’s weren’t competitors
Then later on, the BMW Championship in Europe started paying players appearance fees, which lured the best players overseas. As another insult, the PGA of America moved the PGA Championship to May, which further diluted the May schedule. Now, the final insult is the “elevated” events, which Colonial missed out on.

Players used to play 30+ events a year. Now they can play 20 and make millions. Net result is that the fields are weaker at all but the majors and “elevated” events. And then LIV has taken away a half dozen other elite players. The Nelson, too, is a shadow of what it once was.

FrogBall09

Then later on, the BMW Championship in Europe started paying players appearance fees, which lured the best players overseas. As another insult, the PGA of America moved the PGA Championship to May, which further diluted the May schedule. Now, the final insult is the “elevated” events, which Colonial missed out on.

Players used to play 30+ events a year. Now they can play 20 and make millions. Net result is that the fields are weaker at all but the majors and “elevated” events. And then LIV has taken away a half dozen other elite players. The Nelson, too, is a shadow of what it once was.
Yep

Colonial will never be elevated since it would mean 4 in 5 weeks basically

And eventually events like ours will cease to exist because sponsors will not see the value of a high end KFT event for the money

And PGAT will end up being a 15 events only, PIF will ge tired of losing money after RSA loses 2+ trillion in NEOM and pro golf will become a tier 2 or even 3 sport

The TCU Football Jerk

The Nelson died when Byron died. He used to personally call players and ask them to play in his tournament. Not many could turn it down while talking to him in person. That's how he got big names to come and play. When he died, no one had to worry about feeling bad for not playing.