• The KillerFrogs

OT = Anyone here play the renovated Rockwood Golf Course?

Temcat Frog

Haven't played it yet but have also heard a lot of positives. I'm not surprised given the money spent and the extra time that it is good right now. We'll see over the next year or so if the city of Fort Worth has actually committed to the money and personnel to maintain a golf course or if it is the usual minimal level of upkeep.
You hit the nail on the head! I have played it and really enjoyed it. Currently the rounds being played will provide the funds needed to maintain this new edition of Rockwood. When the newness wears off and rounds played be day level off some, the city will have to step up to keep it in great shape.

Temcat Frog

I wonder if it is still extremely short and terribly laid out.
5 tee set ups. play whatever length you prefer. Lots of sand, both greenside and fairways; greens and fairways with significant undulations, more water and better strategic placement of the water hazards. Don't even try to associate it with the old course. A few pieces of character have been saved from the old course, but very little of it reminds you of the old course.

HG73

That river course was the blue nine that was so long. Originally I believe that par five (#5) was over 680 from the tips.

And the long par three over the creek was #2, which is now #15 of the new layout. They shortened it to about 190 or so and cut down (or lost) some of the trees which framed the green so well.
Rockwood0170.JPG

The land next to the river in this photo was the blue nine #5, which was so, so long. The green was just behind the tee box of today's #16. There were large trees all around the green which gave it a great look. Don't know if they removed them to give better sunlight to the green or if the trees had just died. To the right was the old #3 tee, which had a huge tree in the middle of the %*$&%# fairway about 200 yards out; at 440 yards with a creek on the right and woods on the left without that tree.

They had trouble with the blue nine due to drainage, floods,etc. Plus it was so hard that many people refused to play it, so it wasn't earning its keep. I loved it, although it certainly beat me more often than not. Only broke 40 a handful of times. They closed it over 20 years ago, I believe.

Crushing blow if they closed the blue nine. Just walk right up and tee off, you had the course to yourself. Too difficult for most (me included), but what a challenge. I'm sure it was still open maybe 5 years ago. Always wanted to go back recently and play it again.

Limp Lizard

Crushing blow if they closed the blue nine. Just walk right up and tee off, you had the course to yourself. Too difficult for most (me included), but what a challenge. I'm sure it was still open maybe 5 years ago. Always wanted to go back recently and play it again.
Everybody talks about the #5, the long par 5, but I thought that #7 was the toughest. 7 had an extremely intimidating tee shot, blind with the river on the right. And it was long during the persimmon/balata days, with the wind usually quartering in your face from the left. That and #3 with the bleeping tree in the middle of the fairway and 440+ yards long.

While at TCU in the late 60's, played Rockwood many times. The Blue Nine was one of the most demanding nine holes around. Knew I had played well if I could shoot even-par on it.

JogginFrog

Everybody talks about the #5, the long par 5, but I thought that #7 was the toughest. 7 had an extremely intimidating tee shot, blind with the river on the right. And it was long during the persimmon/balata days, with the wind usually quartering in your face from the left. That and #3 with the bleeping tree in the middle of the fairway and 440+ yards long.

I once walked off the distance you had to squeeze that drive through between the cart shack and the river: 28 paces between OB and wet. It opened up a little further down, but not much.

Limp Lizard

While at TCU in the late 60's, played Rockwood many times. The Blue Nine was one of the most demanding nine holes around. Knew I had played well if I could shoot even-par on it.
Shoot even par on that nine and you have had a very good 9 holes. It was never in pristine condition, especially 4 and 5, so a good score was even more difficult. Can't think of a more difficult nine holes, and I have played Ko'olau in Oahu.

I played it yesterday if you can call it that. The layout is great and the fairways were in great shape and the greens were a little slow but a playing partner said he had seen them much faster.

PS I shot 87 even though my Doc had told me not to play with my shoulder problem. I never mind. Today I hurt like hell. LOL.

Limp Lizard

I played it yesterday if you can call it that. The layout is great and the fairways were in great shape and the greens were a little slow but a playing partner said he had seen them much faster.

PS I shot 87 even though my Doc had told me not to play with my shoulder problem. I never mind. Today I hurt like hell. LOL.
I had shoulder surgery 8 years ago (torn labrum) and I certainly do not regret it. But hopefully yours can be taken care of without surgery.

I had shoulder surgery 8 years ago (torn labrum) and I certainly do not regret it. But hopefully yours can be taken care of without surgery.
I'm going to do everything I can to not have surgery on it. My labrum has a slight tear so I know the pain. A friend had the surgery and he told me that his troubles still flare up from time and that scares me.