• The KillerFrogs

Offensive Coordinator Candidates

DickBumpastache

Obviously, this is conditioned on keeping Jarrett Anderson who is a valuable member of the staff.

But if GP and company choose to hire someone outside the program, my personal choice would be Dave Baldwin of Utah State. Reasons:

- He has a long history in the game, as both an assistant and a head coach for more than 30 years

- Experience at the BCS level at Stanford, Cincinnati, Baylor and Michigan State

- Has turned USU into an offensive machine. The Aggies are 6th nationally in rushing, 20th in total offense and 21st in scoring offense. This year's team made it to a bowl game for the 1st time since 1997!

- Baldwin was working with a true freshman at QB (Cypress Creek's Chuckie Keeton) for the first 2/3rds of the season before Keeton suffered a neck injury...then he plugged in the backup and the offense kept rolling

- Most important thing: Baldwin has a track record of developing QBs. Diondre Borel at Utah State, Donovan Porterie at New Mexico (3,000 yard passer in 07), Drew Stanton at Michigan State. Also remember, Baldwin was HC at San Jose State when they upset LT and TCU.

I will be fine with whatever decision the staff comes to...but I would be ecstatic if Dave Baldwin is calling the plays next season.

Anyone else have a candidate to consider?

cdsfrog

Obviously, this is conditioned on keeping Jarrett Anderson who is a valuable member of the staff.

But if GP and company choose to hire someone outside the program, my personal choice would be Dave Baldwin of Utah State. Reasons:

- He has a long history in the game, as both an assistant and a head coach for more than 30 years

- Experience at the BCS level at Stanford, Cincinnati, Baylor and Michigan State

- Has turned USU into an offensive machine. The Aggies are 6th nationally in rushing, 20th in total offense and 21st in scoring offense. This year's team made it to a bowl game for the 1st time since 1997!

- Baldwin was working with a true freshman at QB (Cypress Creek's Chuckie Keeton) for the first 2/3rds of the season before Keeton suffered a neck injury...then he plugged in the backup and the offense kept rolling

- Most important thing: Baldwin has a track record of developing QBs. Diondre Borel at Utah State, Donovan Porterie at New Mexico (3,000 yard passer in 07), Drew Stanton at Michigan State. Also remember, Baldwin was HC at San Jose State when they upset LT and TCU.

I will be fine with whatever decision the staff comes to...but I would be ecstatic if Dave Baldwin is calling the plays next season.

Does he have any connection to TCU/GP? Seems like a great resume.

Raw Frog

I like the idea of Kingsbury. Successful QB, knows how to stretch the field with good passing routes, and is familiar with Big 12 teams.
The other person I like is Turner Gill, for many of the same reasons. On top of that, and very importantly, he knows the ropes in the southwest region and is well known as a top recruiter. This position has more facets than just calling the plays. That should not be overlooked, as I am sure GP appreciates that more than anybody.

I like the idea of Kingsbury. Successful QB, knows how to stretch the field with good passing routes, and is familiar with Big 12 teams.
The other person I like is Turner Gill, for many of the same reasons. On top of that, and very importantly, he knows the ropes in the southwest region and is well known as a top recruiter. This position has more facets than just calling the plays. That should not be overlooked, as I am sure GP appreciates that more than anybody.

Assuming we take care of business next week and in our OOC schedule next year, we should begin Big 12 play ranked somewhere between 10 and 15. These two names keep getting mentioned on here and when I look at their coaching resumes, I cannot figure out what anyone sees that says either of these guys is ready to be an OC for a top 15 team in a BCS conference.

Kingsbury is a young guy who with proper guideance from someone who has run something other than that gimicky Tech/UH offense might have potential but that offense has never won anything. They can't even win Conference USA with a 6th year QB. Remember those big 12 titles Leech won? I don't. Any BCS bowls for that offense? Nope.

Turner Gill I'm sure is a good guy and a local favorite but his teams have been aweful. QB coach? Recruiter?. If GP wants him I'm fine with that but I honestly can't see what in his resume makes anyone think he would be suited to be our OC.

Assuming we take care of business next week and in our OOC schedule next year, we should begin Big 12 play ranked somewhere between 10 and 15. These two names keep getting mentioned on here and when I look at their coaching resumes, I cannot figure out what anyone sees that says either of these guys is ready to be an OC for a top 15 team in a BCS conference.

Kingsbury is a young guy who with proper guideance from someone who has run something other than that gimicky Tech/UH offense might have potential but that offense has never won anything. They can't even win Conference USA with a 6th year QB. Remember those big 12 titles Leech won? I don't. Any BCS bowls for that offense? Nope.

Turner Gill I'm sure is a good guy and a local favorite but his teams have been aweful. QB coach? Recruiter?. If GP wants him I'm fine with that but I honestly can't see what in his resume makes anyone think he would be suited to be our OC.

I like Kingsbury because he is running the number 1 offense in America. Houston scored at will before the Southern Miss game, and in all honesty I do believe that the Sumlin to A&M deal occurred right before the CUSA championship game. Kingsbury is a Big 12 guy, he knows the recruiting ground very well, and brings a lot of energy.

Salfrog

Tier 1

Jeff Bowers? He kind of falls into that same category.

Burner1

Tier 1
Another possibility might be Steve Fairchild, recently fired HC at Colorado State. He was a quarterback at CSU, then an OC for both college and NFL teams.

Anyone here know Noel Mazzone from his stint with TCU in the late '80s? He's OC at Arizona State, so may be out of a job depending on their coaching change.

I'm in Rusty Burns' corner, but whoever Patterson wants will be the best guy for the job.

Young and Horned

Turner gill coached two AA QBs, one winning the Heisman. Took a terrible program and went to their first bowl game, even if the other two seasons were bad. Then got moved into one of the worst coaching situations in college football. Has coached against the B12 schools for two years, so likely knows some tidbits. As you said, a local guy who knows the territory. The highest class guy you will meet. But you really want to say that a guy isnt an OC material because he didnt succeed as a HC? HC and Coordinator are very different. There are plenty of great Coord's who have failed at HC.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I think that GP is going internal on this one but he will have to bring in another coach, hopefully for the QB position. That said, if he does hire from the outside, I think he is more likely to find another "up and comer" like Fuente.

As I see it, he does the following. Promotes Burns to Co-OC and also makes him the QB coach, as he has coached that position at other schools. Keeps Anderson at his current position, Co-OC and RB coach. Then brings in another WR coach.

I could be wrong but I just don't see him bringing in someone like Turner Gill, Kingsbury or Fairchild.

Dogfrog

Fuente had a pretty unique role combining QB development with strategy / play calling. I would think his jump from young assistant to head coach has to look pretty attractive to assistants across the country. Maybe there's some young offensive mastermind out there who could just get dropped directly into the Fuente role.

Raw Frog

I think that GP is going internal on this one but he will have to bring in another coach, hopefully for the QB position. That said, if he does hire from the outside, I think he is more likely to find another "up and comer" like Fuente.

As I see it, he does the following. Promotes Burns to Co-OC and also makes him the QB coach, as he has coached that position at other schools. Keeps Anderson at his current position, Co-OC and RB coach. Then brings in another WR coach.

I could be wrong but I just don't see him bringing in someone like Turner Gill, Kingsbury or Fairchild.

Ordinarily, you are probably right on this. The only difference here is the entrance into the Big 12, with a completely different type of week in/ week out test. That is not lost on GP, and he has said he is going to look at all phases of the program in order to get the job done in this new arena. I know it is weighing on him. He may think that having some experience on the staff is a good thing he can use to keep things moving in the right direction. It will be interesting to see what he decides. He has lots of talent and options to fill this post it would appear.