• The KillerFrogs

november 3, 2012

Eight

an unranked tcu team limps into morgantown, west virginia after dropping consecutive games. first a triple over time loss to texas tech at home and then got lumped in still water at oklahoma state

frogs lost their starting quarterback earlier in the year for personal problems, have a patchwork offensive line, a spotty running game, and a receiver corp with one feature receiver plus a group that can't seem to live up to their talent

defensively the frogs have been struggling, are working in younger players in to some key positions and waiting for them are heisman candidate geno smith plus a receiver group that features steadman bailey and tevon austin

on paper that game should have never gone the way it went for tcu that day. on paper josh boyce wouldn't have slipped behind the wvu secondary on 2nd and 19 from the tcu 6 with less than 90 seconds to go in the game.

heck, on paper a little known freshman recruit who was a late offer wouldn't have had 9 solos, but it happened and tcu won a game on paper that looked lost

i don't know where the confidence came that afternoon in a group that really was struggling when they went to morgantown

in all probability things like boykin scrambling and finding boyce behind the wvu secondary won't happen again, but the one thing sport has taught me over the years is as soon as we think we know how things play out sport happens

i have no clue where the offense comes from, but i do know there is some talent

i have no idea how tcu is going to cover stills, but i do know frogs have 2 senior de's who are playing well and playing for draft postiion

time for some people to step forward. 6 years ago that was derrick kindred easily having his game of the year that season. kindred had 14 solo's that year and 9 came that afternoon in morgantown. who knew from that game would grow one of the best all around safeties in patterson's time at tcu

who will be the guy who steps up next? don't know, but it is freaking time one of those guys makes that jump and who knows, maybe frogs win an improbable game or maybe they get rolled but this is why we love the game and sport

Eight

Fun to think about...... but that TCU defense had better healthy talent and that WV team was not nearly as dangerous as this one.

i agree that this wvu team is much more dangerous attacking down the field and with a capable run game

not sure if the talent on defense was better.

frogs defensive line was fields, koontz, hunter, and johnson which i don't believe is better than ben, lj, corey and joe b or cooper

corners did have verrett, but white and hackett were still early in their development and kindred came out of nowhere

the two guys i just don't see a match for are the leadership of kenny cain and sam carter

in my amateur estimation, for there to be a repeat of that improbable win 6 years later they are going to have to let some of the young kids play in the secondary and at linebacker.

guys like trevon, daniels, and wilson

who knows, wvu left a lot on the field in austin, i am sure dana is going to have to keep them focused on the game and not having to finish with the oklahoma scores and if not playing nc state is going to hurt them in the cfp or their thoughts on having to play ou two weeks in a row

Horny4TCU

an unranked tcu team limps into morgantown, west virginia after dropping consecutive games. first a triple over time loss to texas tech at home and then got lumped in still water at oklahoma state

frogs lost their starting quarterback earlier in the year for personal problems, have a patchwork offensive line, a spotty running game, and a receiver corp with one feature receiver plus a group that can't seem to live up to their talent

defensively the frogs have been struggling, are working in younger players in to some key positions and waiting for them are heisman candidate geno smith plus a receiver group that features steadman bailey and tevon austin

on paper that game should have never gone the way it went for tcu that day. on paper josh boyce wouldn't have slipped behind the wvu secondary on 2nd and 19 from the tcu 6 with less than 90 seconds to go in the game.

heck, on paper a little known freshman recruit who was a late offer wouldn't have had 9 solos, but it happened and tcu won a game on paper that looked lost

i don't know where the confidence came that afternoon in a group that really was struggling when they went to morgantown

in all probability things like boykin scrambling and finding boyce behind the wvu secondary won't happen again, but the one thing sport has taught me over the years is as soon as we think we know how things play out sport happens

i have no clue where the offense comes from, but i do know there is some talent

i have no idea how tcu is going to cover stills, but i do know frogs have 2 senior de's who are playing well and playing for draft postiion

time for some people to step forward. 6 years ago that was derrick kindred easily having his game of the year that season. kindred had 14 solo's that year and 9 came that afternoon in morgantown. who knew from that game would grow one of the best all around safeties in patterson's time at tcu

who will be the guy who steps up next? don't know, but it is freaking time one of those guys makes that jump and who knows, maybe frogs win an improbable game or maybe they get rolled but this is why we love the game and sport
How many freshmen and sophomores were playing on defense and offense for that 2012 team at Morgan town?

Eight

How many freshmen and sophomores were playing on defense and offense for that 2012 team at Morgan town?

obviously peanut and fields were freshmen as was chris hackett

kevin white was a red-shirt freshman and i think chucky was a red-shirt freshman. koontz was a sophomore (but he did play at aldeo so he might have been 25) and i am not sure about david johnson

as i said in response to moose the two guys we just don't match defensively are cain and carter. not in regards of physical talent, but the leadership

Fortress Frog

I think the level of attrition that 2012 team dealt with could possibly give this year’s team a run for its money. At least that’s the way I remember it anyway.

Eight

I think the level of attrition that 2012 team dealt with could possibly give this year’s team a run for its money. At least that’s the way I remember it anyway.

3-4 potential starters lost in the drug bust, casey, if i recall correctly the big o-tackle from maud was ineligible, believe a few other linemen down, 1 maybe 2 backs down

Farmfrog

i agree that this wvu team is much more dangerous attacking down the field and with a capable run game

not sure if the talent on defense was better.

frogs defensive line was fields, koontz, hunter, and johnson which i don't believe is better than ben, lj, corey and joe b or cooper

corners did have verrett, but white and hackett were still early in their development and kindred came out of nowhere

the two guys i just don't see a match for are the leadership of kenny cain and sam carter

in my amateur estimation, for there to be a repeat of that improbable win 6 years later they are going to have to let some of the young kids play in the secondary and at linebacker.

guys like trevon, daniels, and wilson

who knows, wvu left a lot on the field in austin, i am sure dana is going to have to keep them focused on the game and not having to finish with the oklahoma scores and if not playing nc state is going to hurt them in the cfp or their thoughts on having to play ou two weeks in a row

Chucky was a beast and better than Bethley. Fields was having a much better season than Ben is now. Sam Carter alone makes that defense better. We do have a punchers chance but I’m afraid we’re the ones with the glass jaw.

Eight

Chucky was a beast and better than Bethley. Fields was having a much better season than Ben is now. Sam Carter alone makes that defense better. We do have a punchers chance but I’m afraid we’re the ones with the glass jaw.

i am not saying it is a done deal, but i think we romanticize things a bit over time

freshman fields was better, but lj and ben are a better combo than fields and koontz

the key is leadership in carter and cain, but kenny didn't became capt. bleed purple or bleed out once he became a senior

that started somewhere before then and i think that is my biggest thought in this all. that is why i referenced kindred's coming out party.

it is easy to say there is no kindred among the young safeties because we compare them to what we know he became at tcu, but as i pointed out before he had 5 solos in the other 12 games that season

no reason that can't be daniels, trevon, wilson other they need to be given a chance and they need to follow the advice of patches o'houlihan

watch

Punter1

Fun to think about...... but that TCU defense had better healthy talent and that WV team was not nearly as dangerous as this one.

I'm not sure of that....WVU got up to I thin #5 in the country that year before defensive injuries hit them hard that year.
And they had Geno Smith, Tavin Austin, Steadman Bailey who both had i think 115 catches that year.

I see a ton of similarities between WVU's 2012 and 2018 team. Great offense, iffy defense. Same HC.

Farmfrog

Eight, this defense is talented but isn’t playing as good as that one imo. LJ is good but he’s not playing well enough to offset Fields who was the best DE in the league by a mile. Really outside of Hughes in ‘09 I don’t think we’ve had a better season by a DE.

Eight

Eight, this defense is talented but isn’t playing as good as that one imo. LJ is good but he’s not playing well enough to offset Fields who was the best DE in the league by a mile. Really outside of Hughes in ‘09 I don’t think we’ve had a better season by a DE.

that defense was solid, but the week before had collapsed about osu. granted there was the problem of turnovers, but stop me if you have heard that story this year

i agree fields at times could absolutely take over a game which we haven't seen from ben, but i think just as in poker a pair beats a single high card unless someone falls for a bluff

the difference lies at linebacker and safety. it is time to let the young talent truly play. tcu will not win this game playing it safe defensively and they have to stick to the plan offensively.

that defense was fearless and that came from the leaders, leaders don't have to be seniors, but leaders have to be on the field during a game

that might seem like a joke, but go back and look at 2012 and up to this game the plan was pretty much letting boykin run around and throw it deep

Farmfrog

As a poker player I get the analogy but Fields was an ace which can make it easier to bluff. That defense had playmakers at every level of the defense and this one doesn’t.