• The KillerFrogs

Not to get ahead of myself, but...

Limp Lizard

Who would be a good replacement for Gillispie?

I was thinking a G5 DC who has shown to be competent, a DC at a P5 school where TCU would be a step up. Who would it be? BTW, it looks like SMEW has a good one. But there is some reason why Sonny did not try to bring him.

Horny4TCU

Dick Bumpas
41188240001_3963107482001_video-still-for-video-3963129659001.jpg

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Gillespie's DEFENSE has proven to be a train wreck over 2 full seasons.
Poor tackling, lousy DB coverage and horrible QB pressure.

80% of the games had ridiculously bad results. 1 out of 5 games the defensive performance was acceptable or good.

It's not just this year that you could gripe at Gillespie about. It's been bad since the get go.
Everyone ooohed and aaahed about the 3-3-5 when he was hired.
Dykes said everyone in the country was using it in some fashion or another.
I beg to differ. None of the teams headed to the CF Playoffs run the 3-3-5, or even in the Top 20 for that matter. NONE.
Michigan, Ohio St, Georgia, Washington -
FSU, Oregon, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Missouri, LSU, KSU, ND, Iowa, etc., etc..

Even Patterson wasn't crazy enough to run that powder puff DEFENSE

IT DOESNT WORK. Move on.

CryptoMiner

Who would be a good replacement for Gillispie?

I was thinking a G5 DC who has shown to be competent, a DC at a P5 school where TCU would be a step up. Who would it be? BTW, it looks like SMEW has a good one. But there is some reason why Sonny did not try to bring him.
Symons was hired by Lashlee. He was at Liberty when Dykes was the coach at SMU.

Jim Leavitt who was Dykes' DC retired.

Wexahu

My question for the gurus is, do we need to find someone who runs the 3-3-5? Can we afford to switch schemes again so soon?
I wouldnt think we’d need to stick with it but I really don’t have a problem with the basic scheme. So many teams seem to make it work. The frustrating part was seeing 3 down lineman and everyone else playing so far off the LOS.

This armchair QB would like more of a 5-1-5, which would basically be a 3-3-5 except with two of the Lbs more up on the line applying pressure.

OICU812

I think he was All American in 1969 at Arkansas and boy that we a great year for football players. If you find that team you will recognize a number of names besides Bumpas.
That ‘69 Arkansas team was the pinnacle of my CFB fandom. My dad always subscribed to Dave Campbell’s Texas AND Arkansas football mags, and I would scour them cover-to-cover. I could tell you the size, strengths and weaknesses of every starter on that team.
The hogs offense, with Bill Burnett, Chuck Dicas and Billy Montgomery, was every bit as stout as the UT bunch with Worster, Street, and Kick*. Just a bit more finesse and passing than UT’s ground and pound.
Bump as was in fact A-A at D-tackle, at all of about 210 lbs, iirc. Nasty.
The game vs UT was enormous, and a soul-crusher for me. Seemed clear that the hogs had the superior team that day, but DKR called an absolutely masterful game to go ahead late, and Montgomery threw a couple really bad 4th-quarter picks. He’s a friend of a friend, and most of his adult life still has had nightmares about it.
Arkie fans despised Street for many years, for “stealing” that win, but before he died one of the big booster groups held a reunion and invited players from both squads. Street was embraced so warmly by the “enemy” he was brought to tears.

*Bertleson

Last edited: