• The KillerFrogs

Noah Daniels tweet

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Probably nothing that a NIL deal couldn't solve...

Or maybe a lacking there is the perceived issue? Who knows.
Idk if that's it. Yesterday on his Instagram story he said anyone that was interested in him for nil purposes would need to be interested in CJ Ceasar also. The way Noah worded the post made it sound like he's looking out for CJ.

Dogfrog

We just sent one to A&M. Might have cost us an extra 7,000-10,000 to go to TCU once scholarship money was factored in and we were OK with paying it. She chose the Aggies and I can’t say I have a problem with it.

I have an Aggie kid. There are much worse things than that.

flyfishingfrog

what are deserving areas of need at TCU?

honest question they’ve doubled tuition in the past 10 years - how are they not flush with cash?
have you ever bothered to actually understand how University finance works?

If you want to know how "flush with cash" a school is - all you have to do is look at it's endowment versus historical levels and against peer schools.

There is no slush fund hidden offshore and since TCU is not an entity that distributes "profits" but actually uses the earnings from the endowment to close the gap between operating costs and revenue - any additional income received from new means (higher tuition, more athletic dept revenue from higher ticket prices or more season tix holders, etc) serves to reduce the amount of endowment earnings that are needed to balance the books - thus allowing that money to remain in the endowment.

So if you look at how much of the endowment earnings are used each year to cover operating costs - it will tell you have "flush with cash" TCU is - but there is always a gap so the answer to your initial inquiry is probably easily explained in that TCU never brings in more revenue than it has costs and always needs endowment earnings to cover a gap - which is true for almost all universities not run for profit.

Dogfrog

TCU athletics is the only thing I'd consider donating to at TCU currently. My attitude has completely changed in the last five years. I used to dream of my kids going to TCU, I'll probably recommend against it unless it changes in the next 15 years.

I get it. Giving to athletics is easy for me because there is a direct benefit I receive from it. If theoretically I lost interest in athletics (I haven’t) I’d try to find something to donate to. For example, I’m guessing the TCU med program is funded to the hilt but it’s something I wouldn’t mind giving to, along with programs associated with child development, mental illness, music performance, etc.

ticketfrog123

If you want to know how "flush with cash" a school is - all you have to do is look at it's endowment versus historical levels and against peer schools.

There is no slush fund hidden offshore and since TCU is not an entity that distributes "profits" but actually uses the earnings from the endowment to close the gap between operating costs and revenue - any additional income received from new means (higher tuition, more athletic dept revenue from higher ticket prices or more season tix holders, etc) serves to reduce the amount of endowment earnings that are needed to balance the books - thus allowing that money to remain in the endowment.

So if you look at how much of the endowment earnings are used each year to cover operating costs - it will tell you have "flush with cash" TCU is - but there is always a gap so the answer to your initial inquiry is probably easily explained in that TCU never brings in more revenue than it has costs and always needs endowment earnings to cover a gap - which is true for almost all universities not run for profit.

lol sounds like you don’t know how a university works - primary endowment does not contribute to athletics in 99% of cases…there’s a separate athletic endowment

(for public schools it’s against the rules Bc of taxpayers footing the bill - LSU actually contributes money from the athletic side back to academics or the endowment)

Simple math = tuition up 2x but wages and operating costs obviously aren’t

where’s the gap? Capital spending on new buildings? Growth of administrative headcount?

TCU employee pensions were reduced 1/3 as well

Last edited:

jake102

Well the question becomes obvious - if revenues are going up but we still need endowment earnings to cover the gap every year, why are expenses going up? Why not keep the expenses static? Why do expenses rise 5-7% every year?

flyfishingfrog

Well the question becomes obvious - if revenues are going up but we still need endowment earnings to cover the gap every year, why are expenses going up? Why not keep the expenses static? Why do expenses rise 5-7% every year?
because costs of staff, faculty, maintenance supplies, materials, contractors,....whatever is in the ops budget goes up.

The gap that the endowment has to cover is also hopefully decreasing but to be honest I have not looked in the last several years because I don't really care that much anymore.

But outside of this year with all the crazy - the cost of acquiring new faculty has been higher than ever before because of the demand across the country for professors. And when you have more kids - you need more faculty.

Plus the cost to maintain a new building is higher than to maintain the old one - which is counter intuitive until you realize the new buildings are much nicer than the old ones and thus cost more to maintain properly.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Administrators. Same problem everywhere. Everybody wants their own fiefdom and gaggle of direct reports to do their work. Basically lazy people demanding more money be spent on them and their department.

It should be easy to keep expenses static/in proportion or even reduce them. But it’s unpopular. Few have the stones for being the person that makes the unpopular decisions.

flyfishingfrog

lol sounds like you don’t know how a university works - primary endowment does not contribute to athletics in 99% of cases…there’s a separate athletic endowment

(for public schools it’s against the rules Bc of taxpayers footing the bill - LSU actually contributes money from the athletic side back to academics or the endowment)

Simple math = tuition up 2x but wages and operating costs obviously aren’t

where’s the gap? Capital spending on new buildings? Growth of administrative headcount?

TCU employee pensions were reduced 1/3 as well
I sat on our finance board for a decade and currently chair one at a large public university......I am well aware of how it works

so you want to move the goal posts to athletics profitability now because your argument about TCU being flush with cash from Tuition increases was wrong?

some larger state schools "clear a profit" from athletics on paper - like LSU - but those same schools generally don't prorate common expenses to the a facilities so the number is questionable at best. However no one cares really because Ath Departments are basically a wholly run subsidiary of a organization that loses money across the board and requires additional funding from endowment earnings or taxpayer funding or both depending on what State and which school.

so no idea what your point is - none of that changes the fact that Universities don't run in the black and are not "flush with cash" outside of their endowments.

jake102

because costs of staff, faculty, maintenance supplies, materials, contractors,....whatever is in the ops budget goes up.

Perhaps they should focus on that side of the equation a little. In the last 15 years inflation has been extremely minimal (until the last six months), wages haven't moved much. Hard to understand the need to spend more on all of those things you noted.

flyfishingfrog

Perhaps they should focus on that side of the equation a little. In the last 15 years inflation has been extremely minimal (until the last six months), wages haven't moved much. Hard to understand the need to spend more on all of those things you noted.
well maybe you should call VBo and talk to him about it....

PO Frog

We just sent one to A&M. Might have cost us an extra 7,000-10,000 to go to TCU once scholarship money was factored in and we were OK with paying it. She chose the Aggies and I can’t say I have a problem with it.
Was this the die-hard frog fan growing up? Can’t believe she’s in college and can’t believe she would go elsewhere.

ticketfrog123

im glad somebody followed my post. Agree 100%

im nominating you for the BoT

(The athletics comment was a sidebar about funding from the general endowment not being valid in most cases)

Moose Stuff

Was this the die-hard frog fan growing up? Can’t believe she’s in college and can’t believe she would go elsewhere.

It is not. She’s just going into 8th grade. Zero percent chance that one would have chosen A&M. Middle daughter has a serious boyfriend and best friend already at A&M which tipped the scales.