• The KillerFrogs

NO MORE WBAP 820 AM FOR TCU FOOTBALL. MOVING to KZPS 92.5 FM in 2024.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
AM radio is dying for several reasons. Among them is what TX99 pointed out, Mexican AM stations frying the birds in flight with 250,000 watt broadcasts, and the fact that so many gizmos in modern cars give off RF energy, which either jams AM reception or adds so much noise to the reception that it becomes unlistenable. Sadly, it is a relic of the past.

You can get a pure signal by streaming the game through your car's Bluetooth. It's still radio, but it's just through different frequencies...

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
88% of drivers listen to broadcast radio. It ain’t dead yet by a long shot…
"73% of those in the U.S. age 18+ who have ridden in or driven a car in the last month use AM/FM radio as an audio source in-car, far outpacing the next-closest audio source, owned digital music (used by 53%)"

Source: https://www.edisonresearch.com/the-infinite-dial-2022/

The issue is those stats typically report if someone in a car listened to the radio once in a month. The fact that it's just under 3/4's of passengers is a telling statistic. Radio is on the decline, and as older drivers retire from the road it's only going to get worse for the industry.

"73% of those in the U.S. age 18+ who have ridden in or driven a car in the last month use AM/FM radio as an audio source in-car, far outpacing the next-closest audio source, owned digital music (used by 53%)"

Source: https://www.edisonresearch.com/the-infinite-dial-2022/

The issue is those stats typically report if someone in a car listened to the radio once in a month. The fact that it's just under 3/4's of passengers is a telling statistic. Radio is on the decline, and as older drivers retire from the road it's only going to get worse for the industry.
73% seems to me like a fairly large number of people that are still listening to radio in their car. My bet is that many if not most of those are listening far more than once a month.

How is something like SiriusXM considered in this sort of data?

I don’t think this is good for TCU at all. It certainly takes away from marketing of TCU. The range for the new station will not be as good either. It will be interesting to see if WBAP gets another sports broadcast to replace TCU. It will be interesting to see if Brian Estridge will still work for WBAP.

DeuceBoogieNights

Radio is a weird medium these days and I think it depends on where you live and if they count streaming a radio station as listening to the radio. I'll stream The Ticket occasionally and that's listening to the radio, but not in the tradional sense.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
WBAP is a 50,000 watt station. . According to Wikipedia, the new fm station is a 100,000 watt station. Could that be right?
Different animals. AM can bounce around between the land, sea, and ionosphere for great distances. This is why the great "Clear Channel" stations like WBAP, or WOAI, or KMOX had space on either side of them after the Sun went down so that they had clean reception over great distances. In days past, we could pick up Cubs games from Chicago, or the Cardinals from St. Louis, depending on how the atmospherics were. Those bands are touchy, and sometimes surprising; It is said that Fuchida's low-power signal "Tora, Tora, Tora!" from the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, intended only for the Kido Butai just 200 miles away, was heard in Japanese waters where the Fleet operators were monitoring comms. The reflections off water and wave can sometimes be mysterious...

FM is a different bandwidth that does not reflect off land or atmosphere. It is line-of-sight only, and cannot broadcast over the horizon and is dimmed by ground clutter as distance increases. Despite these shortcomings, it's signal is very much clearer than AM, so much so that Steely Dan wrote a song about it. Because of the limitations of the medium, and it's different bandwidth from AM, broadcast wattage could be increased without "walking on" or, interfering with other stations via bleed-over onto neighboring stations on the dial.

AM has suffered through the years since FM came along. Stations still broadcast at the same wattage they were assigned in the 40s, and no effort as ever made to increase or modernize the bandwidth. Stations in foreign lands (See: Mexico) broadcast in many multiples of wattage allowed Domestic broadcasters. Additionally, at night, these foreign broadcasters do not power down as most American broadcasters (aside from the Clear Channel stations) do, so they "walk on" many stations on low-power, rendering them unlistenable. Whereas many years ago, one could fish out music or sports from far away at night, now the dial is a sea of static punctuated by brief bits of mariachi tunes...

And, trust me: Don't try the barbequed iguana.

Brog

Different animals. AM can bounce around between the land, sea, and ionosphere for great distances. This is why the great "Clear Channel" stations like WBAP, or WOAI, or KMOX had space on either side of them after the Sun went down so that they had clean reception over great distances. In days past, we could pick up Cubs games from Chicago, or the Cardinals from St. Louis, depending on how the atmospherics were. Those bands are touchy, and sometimes surprising; It is said that Fuchida's low-power signal "Tora, Tora, Tora!" from the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, intended only for the Kido Butai just 200 miles away, was heard in Japanese waters where the Fleet operators were monitoring comms. The reflections off water and wave can sometimes be mysterious...

FM is a different bandwidth that does not reflect off land or atmosphere. It is line-of-sight only, and cannot broadcast over the horizon and is dimmed by ground clutter as distance increases. Despite these shortcomings, it's signal is very much clearer than AM, so much so that Steely Dan wrote a song about it. Because of the limitations of the medium, and it's different bandwidth from AM, broadcast wattage could be increased without "walking on" or, interfering with other stations via bleed-over onto neighboring stations on the dial.

AM has suffered through the years since FM came along. Stations still broadcast at the same wattage they were assigned in the 40s, and no effort as ever made to increase or modernize the bandwidth. Stations in foreign lands (See: Mexico) broadcast in many multiples of wattage allowed Domestic broadcasters. Additionally, at night, these foreign broadcasters do not power down as most American broadcasters (aside from the Clear Channel stations) do, so they "walk on" many stations on low-power, rendering them unlistenable. Whereas many years ago, one could fish out music or sports from far away at night, now the dial is a sea of static punctuated by brief bits of mariachi tunes...

And, trust me: Don't try the barbequed iguana.
That's a damn helpful post, BFrog. I remember way back in the 1970's camping on the north rim of the Grand Canyon and going to my car in the evening and listening on the car radio to one of the DFW radio stations, I think it was WBAP, present the Rangers baseball game as clear as it could be.

FrogAbroad

Actually the iguana isn't all that bad if prepared right. I've eaten it multiple times while living in Honduras. It's a bit tough and dry but has a not at all unpleasant flavor or texture.

Putt4Purple

I think it comes down to the fees that Learfield has to pay stations for air time to broadcast the games.
Can you elaborate? WBAP charges higher rates than what TCU is willing to pay? Did TCU determine that listeners would rather hear streaming in FM rather than AM? Meaning less fees? Does not make sense to me.

Putt4Purple

WBAP is a 50,000 watt station. . According to Wikipedia, the new fm station is a 100,000 watt station. Could that be right?
If it is supposedly more powerful how can the AM WBAP be heard farther away than the FM KZPS? I’m sure the science geeks know but shouldn’t TCU know as well that the ability to reach listeners wil be decreased not increased. I’m sure the thought of streaming and the ability of so many now and in the future had to come in this decision.