• The KillerFrogs

NIL Killing Recruiting

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Heard a radio interview with Phil Mickelson who went on a full rant about having to pay taxes in any state he played in that had a state income tax.

Think about MLB players--how many state tax returns are their CPA's are having to produce each tax year?

Never lived in any city that had its own income tax. Most rely solely on sales/property tax. Places like NYC might be exceptions...

@FinanceFrog probably has the definitive information on this. :)

I think the most crazy instance of NFL taxation is a situation where the Super Bowl is played in California. Obviously the earnings the players get for playing in the game are taxed. HOWEVER California takes the position that if a player received a huge bonus during the season, a potion of that (1/19 if the team played a total of 19 games) is taxable in California. You would think players would demand the super be played in more tax friendly states. Look at what happened in 2016.

An-Cap Frog

If you wanna go down the rabbit hole on this even further, look up "jock tax."

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fdb7d0567-b213-4540-bb3b-cde1ef95d4b9_633x420.png
Ontario man....

Probably doesn't have to pay federal on those earnings though.

Dan Taxation Is Theft Behrman GIF by GIPHY News

Ron Swanson

I haven’t read past page one of this thread, so my apologies if this has been said (or confirmed or refuted) but I’d be willing to bet that the average payout per year for 5 star recruits is quite a bit less than $2M/yr. I think there are a lot of inflated numbers being thrown around, and I’m sure high school kids are the biggest offenders of exaggerating payouts they’ve heard about.

I’m sure there’s an occasional kid getting that much, but I doubt it’s normal.

Eight

I haven’t read past page one of this thread, so my apologies if this has been said (or confirmed or refuted) but I’d be willing to bet that the average payout per year for 5 star recruits is quite a bit less than $2M/yr. I think there are a lot of inflated numbers being thrown around, and I’m sure high school kids are the biggest offenders of exaggerating payouts they’ve heard about.

I’m sure there’s an occasional kid getting that much, but I doubt it’s normal.

agree and suspect those offers are about as inflated as guys claimed to have sex when i was in high achool

hfhmilkman

I believe it is still possible for a college program to succeed in the NIL era. Football is ultimately a team game where the sum is greater than the parts. This is exactly why TCU did so well in 2022 when Texas and Texas A&M stumbled. NIL can have divisive properties. What happens when the walk-on beats out the blue chip with the seven figure NIL? If the blue chip is set for life, what is his motivation? Not saying that NIL challenged program will have no obstacles. A team like OSU/Georgia that is composed of all blue chips and has a somewhat coherent program will win.

I would argue, put more capital into scouting. There are still a lot of great football players being missed. Remember that a lot of blue chip is based on athletic potential not football capabilities. This is why a lot of blue chips don't make it. They were athletes trying to play football and not football players. Get high character guys who are hungry. Lastly, get players who fit what you are doing or fit your program to their strengths. Lots of great football players get knocked because they do not fit the mold. You can build a team of tweeners if you think outside of the box.

Beating a Georgia may be impossible. But that was impossible before NIL. But making Texas look foolish year after year is.

Traveling Frog

I believe it is still possible for a college program to succeed in the NIL era. Football is ultimately a team game where the sum is greater than the parts. This is exactly why TCU did so well in 2022 when Texas and Texas A&M stumbled. NIL can have divisive properties. What happens when the walk-on beats out the blue chip with the seven figure NIL? If the blue chip is set for life, what is his motivation? Not saying that NIL challenged program will have no obstacles. A team like OSU/Georgia that is composed of all blue chips and has a somewhat coherent program will win.

I would argue, put more capital into scouting. There are still a lot of great football players being missed. Remember that a lot of blue chip is based on athletic potential not football capabilities. This is why a lot of blue chips don't make it. They were athletes trying to play football and not football players. Get high character guys who are hungry. Lastly, get players who fit what you are doing or fit your program to their strengths. Lots of great football players get knocked because they do not fit the mold. You can build a team of tweeners if you think outside of the box.

Beating a Georgia may be impossible. But that was impossible before NIL. But making Texas look foolish year after year is.
This^ many schools are unable to compete with the top 10 NIL programs for high schoolers and those who try break the bank as there will be missed. That is because there are recruits who command top dollar and then after two years barely even see the field. Recruit the right players and then pony up to keep them is the best strategy. Many players could have left after the coaching change and many choose to stay which resulted in the season we had.

Eight

thanks for telling a tcu website why the frogs did so well this last year, especially in contrast to recent seasons and greatly appreciate the formula for building a successful program using lesser regarded recruits

curious how long you have been following tcu football at this level of depth

Last edited:

The TCU Football Jerk

Now that I have a son and his teammates going through the recruiting process I have heard some troubling news. The 5 star top talent everyone wants and only Bama or Georgia seem to get are commanding 2 million dollars per year for 3 years of college. I hope TCU can compete but word on the street is Texas and Texas A&M will pay more than TCU will. This is already professional sports we might as well have a draft to keep it fair. Unreal and ruing college football.

Highest priced isn't always the best. Ask A&M last year about that. Even when it wasn't so costly, Patterson built some great teams without the highest amount of stars attached to their names. I'm not as worried as I was. If it doesn't work at some point it doesn't work. I'll worry about it then. Eh, who am I kidding, I won't worry about it at all. If it all goes to hell I'll just fish more.