• The KillerFrogs

New redshirt rule

Armadillo

I was only answering the above direct comment about a "coupon."
And there have been a few comments/complaints on these pages about us being a "pay site." I was simply explaining why we charge.

Gil, you've always been one of my favorite writers. Keep doing what your doing. And thanks for being more involved here on SNFFF.

Don't listen to Todd D. Although I admit I generally respect him as a poster. And yes, no Muck is a huge positive for your site.

Limp Lizard

I believe that the biggest problem in playing 'red shirts" early in the year against weaker opponents and mop up duty in blowout wins is that 1) you need to play your starters in those early games to let them get ready for the season )conditioning and snaps), you don't need red shirts getting those snaps when they will not be a big part of your season and 2) in mop up games, if you have any, you have past year red shirts, sophs and red shirt juniors who will be front line guys the next year that will need all the playing time they can get. I think the most likely use of the new rule will allow those rare uses of a "red shirted' players and still get to keep that year of eligiblity.
I may have myopic fan vision, but I am not alone on this. It seems like every year a couple of good Freshmen lose their eligibility for action in a couple of games. Many posts over the years about how a year has been wasted. And against a very overmanned team like our first game of the year, it is good to get in many players to rest the starters after the first half. There will be plenty of time to sharpen up their (the starters) perform against SMU. And some Freshmen may perform better than expected. In fact SMU should be a good experience game for Freshmen. They will learn more in that game and after that game than if they simply redshirted.
Four games is about right for Freshmen, whose bodies are not as able to handle the beating as older players.