• The KillerFrogs

NEW REALITIES...NEW TEAM IDENTITY1

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
In light of the general circumstances and particularly our bowl opponent's conducting a poll to confirm that defeating TCU would be their biggest win in 20 years, I'm forced to confront a new reality. Like it or not,we can no longer play our underdog role, which has served us so well in the past. As much as we have gotten huge mileage out of using the arrogance and entitlement of "The man"in a motivational ju-jitzu against him, will that dog hunt for us anymore? Have we become "The Man"?

GP himself was saying we'd have to learn to embrace the front-runner's role, while beating each and every team we are supposed to.Going undefeated three straight years in our conference was a good indicator that we can do this, but, at the same time, we lost to the Ponies at home. Much of the reason for that L was mental. Like LaTech who went 3-4 to start 2011, our 2-3 start belies the quality of this year's team right now...but will we -- with weeks to think about the game -- prove too uncomfortable in our new role? Conversely, have our fans become overly comfortable, and can we avoid giving future opponents plenty of perceived arrogant/entitled fodder for their team's motivation?

rifram09

In light of the general circumstances and particularly our bowl opponent's conducting a poll to confirm that defeating TCU would be their biggest win in 20 years, I'm forced to confront a new reality. Like it or not,we can no longer play our underdog role, which has served us so well in the past. As much as we have gotten huge mileage out of using the arrogance and entitlement of "The man"in a motivational ju-jitzu against him, will that dog hunt for us anymore? Have we become "The Man"?

GP himself was saying we'd have to learn to embrace the front-runner's role, while beating each and every team we are supposed to.Going undefeated three straight years in our conference was a good indicator that we can do this, but, at the same time, we lost to the Ponies at home. Much of the reason for that L was mental. Like LaTech who went 3-4 to start 2011, our 2-3 start belies the quality of this year's team right now...but will we -- with weeks to think about the game -- prove too uncomfortable in our new role? Conversely, have our fans become overly comfortable, and can we avoid giving future opponents plenty of perceived arrogant/entitled fodder for their team's motivation?

This is something I have thought about quite a bit actually. Here is my two cents:

If we were still in the BE, I think we would bring our (rightfullly) high view of our team with us and the national media would likely select us to win the league in or first year. We would have been in a similar situation as in the MWC, where we are one of a couple of teams that are the "main show." In that situation, I think we would be dealing with what you are talking about. I think our "mental game" in the B12 is going to be different than anything we are used to now.

In the B12, we have been given the opportunity to exact revenge for the breakup of the SWC. We have also given our main haters (in state rivals) a crack at us every year. How we perform over the next 5 years is going to be crucial. From fan support to the W-L column, we haven't been afforded this type of opportunity in a LONG LONG time. If we win the league and become one of the top teams along with OU, UT, and OSU has shown themselves to be this year, then we will be dealing with a REAL front-runner mentality. If we only go 9-3 on good years (i.e. Baylor, A&M) we can really run the risk of being a delusional fan bas if we want to pretend like we are front runners based on what we did in the 2000-2010 era.

ShivasFrog

In the B12, we have been given the opportunity to exact revenge for the breakup of the SWC.
I doubt our players will be too concerned about this, considering they were all in pre-school at that time. Although, the fact they've heard repeatedly about coming from an inferior conference and being incapable of competing week-in week-out may provide some motivation.

rifram09

I doubt our players will be too concerned about this, considering they were all in pre-school at that time. Although, the fact they've heard repeatedly about coming from an inferior conference and being incapable of competing week-in week-out may provide some motivation.

You could be right, but I'm not too sure about that.

My freshman year at TCU was TCU's first year in the MWC, so I wasn't around for the breakup of the SWC. I am a first generation TCU alumn as well, so it isn't like I have family that told me about the SWC breakup. However, as a diehard TCU fan, I have educated myself on the history of our program. Anybody who researches "the story" of TCU will learn about the breakup of the SWC. Heck, anybody who spends 20 minutes researching College Football history on the interwebs will learn about how that went down.

As you point out, the reason I (along our current players) are able to relate to the distain for our old SWC-mates felt by the older generation of Frogs stems from the air of superiority that the B12 schools direacted at TCU since the breakup of the SWC. We have been told for the past ten+ years that we don't belong in the same conference with UT, Aggy and Tech, despite the fact that we have ~100 years of history of being conference mates with them!!! In fact, we were in the SWC before Tech! It has been a falsehood perpetrated by those schools and embraced by the national media that spans generational gaps.

To your point, it is true that our players might not be paying attention to that, but I would find it strange that Patterson and Co. would allow such a motivational tool to be left unused.

Actually, TCU started 3-2, not 2-3 which would have made our current 10-2 record impossible.

I agree with Rifram who said that had we gone to the Big East or stayed in the MWC, it might be hard to maintain that underdog chip. The Big 12, not so much. We have a lot to proove and I'm sure that our players will remember the argument that has been made about them not being able to hold up under the week to week pressure of playing good teams.

Whatever the motivation, they better be ready to bring it next year. There is, I sense, a good bit of resentment of TCU's success and national attention around the B12 and I'm pretty sure we'll get everyone's best game next year.

ShivasFrog

If CGP can use what happened in the 90's to motivate, then I'm all for it and more power to him. Whatever keeps that chip on the shoulder.

rifram09

If CGP can use what happened in the 90's to motivate, then I'm all for it and more power to him. Whatever keeps that chip on the shoulder.

ya. I guess what I'm saying is that, although the initial act of being left out of the B12 occurred in the late 90's, the effects and attitudes shaped from that event are having lasting effects for today's generations of Frog fans and the fans of the old SWC schools. So, it's not like Patterson has to reach into the history books and teach them a lesson on the old SWC...

Tom Brown

Considering who may or may not be returning from the other big 12 squads how could anyone pick us below 3rd in the Big 12 next year. We have a legit shot to win the conference in our first year a la MWC.

joejordan

With Taxes and Oleohoma taking most of the 'top recruits', and aggy siphoning off some idiots that think playing in the SEC will be good for their 'career', along with resurgent dirt eaters in stool water and the new home of the next 5 Heismans in Waco...we will have our work cut out for us recruiting talent to hazard the rigors of an AQ conference. Oh yeah, you're welcome pony and Cooger High.

What school is smallest in enrollment? What school has more to prove? What school will have to deal with stadium smack the most? What school will not get the benefit of the doubt from voters? What school can deliver 35K+ to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl, win it, and then get shafted on the last week of the next season when 5 teams ahead of it lost their game and they won by nearly 50?

Fuel for the fire. Go Frogs.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Actually, TCU started 3-2, not 2-3 which would have made our current 10-2 record impossible.
[/b]
I agree with Rifram who said that had we gone to the Big East or stayed in the MWC, it might be hard to maintain that underdog chip. The Big 12, not so much. We have a lot to proove and I'm sure that our players will remember the argument that has been made about them not being able to hold up under the week to week pressure of playing good teams.

Whatever the motivation, they better be ready to bring it next year. There is, I sense, a good bit of resentment of TCU's success and national attention around the B12 and I'm pretty sure we'll get everyone's best game next year.

Actually, you're too kind...committed a double flub...3-2 start for us and 1-4 start for Tech. Shouldn't post with no contacts in, small screen netbook, in bed, with bronchitis.