• The KillerFrogs

New Mexico hires new coach....

Gunner

New Mexico just fired a guy who could recruit,.....and hired a guy who can't recruit or coach.

Can't think of a more dumb choice to lead the Lobos...

Lobos have nice facilities and no pro sports competition. Their biggest problem, there are very few football players in the state. Albuquerque is a good town in a nice setting. Davie was a defensive coordinator before they ever invented the spread option.

He will be completely lost...

Kaiser

I think it's a solid hire. He will get UNM football out of the gutter and off the police blotter. I don't think he wants to coach for 10 more years so he will stay there 4-6; get the program back to par & hand it off in better shape to hopefully a bigger hire.

West Texas Frog

Bob Davie is a great hire for New Mexico in my humble opinion! At one time he was considered one of the best defensive coaches around. He never would have gotten the head job at Notre Dame if he had not been highly respected. I actually think he is one of the better announcers out there and enjoy his insight. I wish him the very best.

Waccy Frog

He doesn't know what he is talking about half the time. Called Locksley a good recruiter.

Well, Locksley is a good recruiter (at least at Illinois), which is why he was hired. And he brought a few decent players (like the wide out transfers who didn't suit up for the TCU game due to injury). But you can't build a program in New Mexico out of a few highly rated WRs from Washington DC or whatever. What they need is someone good at recruiting hidden gems out of West Texas.

The part that's really ridiculous in Gunner's post is the part about UNM having nice facilities. Their facilities are joke. Both Fran and Rocky cited UNM's refusal to upgrade and invest in facilities as a factor in their decisions to leave.

Zubaz

Gwah? Fran left because, well, he's Fran and that's what Fran does. Rocky was fired (they called it a resignation, but if he didn't resign he was getting fired, so there you go). Neither had anything to do with the facilities. University Stadium is just fine for where the program is now, it's basically pre-upgrade ACS without the upper deck. The practice facilities are fine, and I sincerely doubt that people are avoiding Albuquerque just because they don't have an indoor practice facility

As an aside, the rest of UNM is pretty nice. The basketball team plays at one of the best facilities in the country, and the baseball team plays at the nicest minor league stadium I've ever seen.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Hey man...I have to move there on Friday.
I lived there for 7 years, ice. Not a bad place to call home. People aren't as overtly friendly as in Texas. I got tired of the "high desert" after awhile. Not enough green. When I was there, the culture was oppressively P.C. Example: I was frowned on for the following joke: "Did you hear about the guy who was half black and half Japanese? Every December 7th, he attacked Pearl Bailey." Now I'm sorry; that joke is dumb, but it is not offensive!

But I digress...

When I was there, the Southeast Heights was a bit of a war zone. Todd can give you a more current report. And you can't get good bar-b-que to save your life. And always say "you guys," not "y'all."

Now for the good: Food is great. Go by Padilla's Mexican Kitchen on Girard and get the blue corn enchilada plate. Get the green sauce. ALWAYS get the green sauce. Go to Blake's Lot-A-Burger and get a Lot-A-Burger with cheese and extra green chile. Wake up some Sunday in January, decide you want to go skiing today, and GO. Learn to fly fish and cross-country ski.

And tell me if T. J. Trout is still on 94.1 FM - I used to do voice talent for him. Good guy.

My family lives in Waco and the Metroplex and I got homesick, and I'm glad I moved back, but I enjoy going back when I get a chance. It's different -you'll enjoy it.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Davie will probably do better than his predecessor. Hell, I could have done better than Locksley but the "new" coach hasn't been on the field in 10 years, hasn't spoken to a recruit in 10 years and probably doesn't have the connections that he had 10 years ago.

It'll be interesting

icemonkee

Todd--looks like the frog population will double in 2 days time

Turk-- i tried lotaburger about 2 weeks ago when i was down there looking for a place to live. that place puts whataburger to shame