• The KillerFrogs

NCAA Convention: DI Legislative Update

JimSwinkLives!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/january/di+legislative+council+defeats+basketball+academic+plan

Some highlights:

Prop. No. 2010-59-C, sponsored by the Atlantic Coast Conference, was sent out for comment. The proposal, a companion to a Football Academic Working Group measure that was defeated, would require football student-athletes to earn nine semester-hours (or eight quarter-hours) of credit in the fall to be eligible for the entire following season. If the minimum standard isn’t met, the student-athlete would lose eligibility for the first four games the following fall, but would have the opportunity to earn back two of those games if he earns 27 credit hours before the season begins. The proposal would allow student-athletes to earn all four games back once in a career. The original FAWG proposal, without the opportunity to earn back all four games, was defeated.

<LI>Defeated Prop. No. 2010-42, which would prohibit coaches from making verbal offers of aid before July 1 following a prospect’s junior year. Members noted potential difficulties in monitoring and enforcement.

Horny 4 Life

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/january/di+legislative+council+defeats+basketball+academic+plan

<LI>Defeated Prop. No. 2010-42, which would prohibit coaches from making verbal offers of aid before July 1 following a prospect’s junior year. Members noted potential difficulties in monitoring and enforcement.

No surprise there. I wrote a Sports Law paper on a topic involving verbal offers and this was one part of a possible solution. There's just no way to effectively monitor and enforce the situation. It would just be another rule that most people don't know about and don't follow.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What a joke. More rules for the NCAA to ignore in the future when it suits them.

If there was ever an organization that needed to be completely flushed from stem to stern and re-booted, it's the NCAA.

JimSwinkLives!

No surprise there. I wrote a Sports Law paper on a topic involving verbal offers and this was one part of a possible solution. There's just no way to effectively monitor and enforce the situation. It would just be another rule that most people don't know about and don't follow.

Agreed. Most compliance officers that I've spoken to just shook their heads at this one. While they agreed in principle with the rationale behind the proposal, they knew that there was no effective means to monitor and enforce it.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Do game rules get discussed here or more just legislative?

Any talk about the excessive celebration penalty that is to go in effect next year (I know that isn't your area, just wondering if heard much). I think that is a disaster waiting to happen.

JimSwinkLives!

Do game rules get discussed here or more just legislative?

Any talk about the excessive celebration penalty that is to go in effect next year (I know that isn't your area, just wondering if heard much). I think that is a disaster waiting to happen.

Its mainly just legislation.

I agree that the new penalty will be a train wreck.

BABYFACE

I thought the current excessive celebration penalty enforcement was a bit over zealous. How in the hell can they kick that up a notch?

Nevermind, I forgot about it nullifying a TD. I predict that there wil be game where this happens near the end of regation in which the home team gets screwed and the stadium crowd will riot and the officiating crew will be targets.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I thought the current excessive celebration penalty enforcement was a bit over zealous. How in the hell can they kick that up a notch?

Nevermind, I forgot about it nullifying a TD. I predict that there wil be game where this happens near the end of regation in which the home team gets screwed and the stadium crowd will riot and the officiating crew will be targets.

Can you say LSU?

Frog-in-law1995

I don't believe a celebration penalty called after a TD would nullify the score...only an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that occurs prior to or simultaneously with entering the endzone, like diving or high-stepping. Right?