• The KillerFrogs

My thoughts on the Patterson / A&M smoke

HG73

Sumlin got fired for going 7-5. GP went 6-7 last year. He's not about to get into that mess. And, he probably makes more annually in gas partnerships that the boosters put him into than Aggy can pay.

flyfishingfrog

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ insider ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What exactly do you guys think “insider” means?

Lots of people have a lot of different types of relationships with our school and athletics leadership based on a number of different factors from donations to participating in committees to employment to just plain friendship

Not sure any of that means you are an “insider” or maybe all of those people are at some level - mostly it just means you probably have enough common sense to not read too much into everything that gets said or reported.

Westsider

What exactly do you guys think “insider” means?

Lots of people have a lot of different types of relationships with our school and athletics leadership based on a number of different factors from donations to participating in committees to employment to just plain friendship

Not sure any of that means you are an “insider” or maybe all of those people are at some level - mostly it just means you probably have enough common sense to not read too much into everything that gets said or reported.

Actually was being complementary.... IIRC you are a former player, and you know the Pattersons on some level, so your opinions carry some weight as far as I'm concerned. Plus I bet you're rich.

FrogCop19

She still hasn't responded to your smoke signals to her? She's probably not worth it then.

Yeah, she doesn't really have the "Frog Factor". She doesn't really have a motor, and we never really wanted her anyway.

Am I doing this right? :D

Ron Swanson

I have no doubt that Maniac believes what he was told, and I have no doubt that the person who told Maniac whatever he told him believed it as well.

The problem is that people always hear all these things and there’s tons of misinformation out there when it comes to coaching situations. I have no doubt that some important Aggies 100% believed that they were close to getting Gary. People believe what they want to believe.

I never worried for a second about GP taking the Aggie job. Gary is retiring here unless something changes drastically at TCU.

Frogo

JurisFrog made a thoughtful analysis of existing evidence. Maybe he's wrong of course. But he didn't claim omniscience, only that he was making inferences from observable facts.

tcumaniac

Are you saying Moose knows what you know and chose to state otherwise? I'm having trouble with "blatant lie" unless you know that to be true.
I edited my post to say "not true" vs "blatant lie." Wasn't trying to accuse Moose of being a liar... just a careless use of wording. But him saying that there was no smoke simply isn't true.

I don't think Moose is lying. I'm just saying he's not right. And yes Moose. I don't think you were told the entire truth.

By no mean was Patterson packing up his bags and starting to look at homes in College Station, but his interest in the A&M position was far more serious than a "I'm just going to use this to get a raise for me and my coaches."

Moose will continue to get all the likes because he's selling the narrative we all want to hear, but it's just not true. And that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. To consider other opportunities is only human and to be expected.

In his heart of hearts, I don't think GP ever fully thought he'd leave TCU... but the opening at A&M and the opportunity to coach in the SEC where defenses get more respect was something that genuinely intrigued him and was something he very much considered. At the end of the day, Gary and Kelsey decided that staying at TCU was still the best option and that's something we should be very proud of. But to act as if Gary never genuinely considered the opportunity simply isn't true.

worthag03

There was never smoke from A&M sources. The only smoke was from reporters who have zero clue as to what is going on. Jimbo Fisher has been the number one target and apparently has been in the bag for a while now.

A&M never perused Gary Patterson. Not because we wouldn’t love to have him but because Jimbo Fisher has been the guy and secondly no one believes GP will leave TCU.

Zubaz

By no mean was Patterson packing up his bags and starting to look at homes in College Station, but his interest in the A&M position was far more serious than a "I'm just going to use this to get a raise for me and my coaches."
Just out of curiosity: If Patterson's negotiating is worthy anything at all, how would ANYONE outside of Gary Patterson's immediate family know the difference between the two? Right? I mean, wouldn't he be the worst negotiator of all time if he said to literally anyone "Don't worry, just doing this for a raise"?

NYC Horned Frog

There was never smoke from A&M sources. The only smoke was from reporters who have zero clue as to what is going on. Jimbo Fisher has been the number one target and apparently has been in the bag for a while now.

A&M never perused Gary Patterson. Not because we wouldn’t love to have him but because Jimbo Fisher has been the guy and secondly no one believes GP will leave TCU.

Now there's the blatant lie we were waiting for!

cheese83

You can write and believe that all you want, but you are wrong.

It's not the popular opinion on this board, but there was definitely smoke.

Gary considered going to A&M much more than anyone on this board wants to admit. At the end of the day, he came back to his senses and realized the temptations of Aggy Land and the SEC didn't outweigh what he's got going at TCU. But to say he didn't genuinely consider the idea of leaving is a not true. I'm 100% confident about this.

Since when did you get big time contacts, you're still a 4 digit PP guy sitting in the bleeds.