• The KillerFrogs

Minnesota boys state hockey tournament

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I’m not trying to be condescending, this is a genuine question....

Why are we talking about this on here? What am I missing?
A TCU board probably isn’t the prime spot for this discussion but it is one of the greatest high school sporting events around. It’s as equally important to hockey culture as the TX high school football playoff is to football culture. It has lost its luster since going to divisions. It was truly amazing when the equivalent of Hickory High would win it all in the one division days.

froginmn

I attended the tournament in the spring of 1988, before heading to TCU. I had friends at Edina HS, which is a hated suburban school (wealthy) but highly successful and accomplished. I went with them and even did the green face paint.

Their opponent was Warroad, a small town school from far northern Minnesota. Warroad is known as hockeytown USA and was home to the Christian brothers who helped win 1960 Olympic gold, the Marvin family with multiple standout players (including Gigi who played for the last three women's Olympic teams), and others. Another very successful HS program but completely different from Edina.

The arena was packed. First goal goes to Edina and the two sections filled with Edina fans go nuts. Second goal goes to Warroad, and the rest of the entire arena goes crazy. No surprise as to who the crowd favorite was.

I was probably lucky to get out of there when Edina won.

Ron Swanson

A TCU board probably isn’t the prime spot for this discussion but it is one of the greatest high school sporting events around. It’s as equally important to hockey culture as the TX high school football playoff is to football culture. It has lost its luster since going to divisions. It was truly amazing when the equivalent of Hickory High would win it all in the one division days.

not_aware_waynes_world.gif

nwlafrog

I’m not trying to be condescending, this is a genuine question....

Why are we talking about this on here? What am I missing?

I love how our very own HASMSP Minnesota native has yet to chime in to help out because of 2314 consistently coming in hot from left field to call us all homos and losers and try to remove our thread from time to time. If 2314 would play nice and post his question in its proper place or even HASMSP he’d probably have whatever answer he’s looking for.

Edit - he posted but didn’t reply to the original question. Outstanding grudge work.

I attended the tournament in the spring of 1988, before heading to TCU. I had friends at Edina HS, which is a hated suburban school (wealthy) but highly successful and accomplished. I went with them and even did the green face paint.

Their opponent was Warroad, a small town school from far northern Minnesota. Warroad is known as hockeytown USA and was home to the Christian brothers who helped win 1960 Olympic gold, the Marvin family with multiple standout players (including Gigi who played for the last three women's Olympic teams), and others. Another very successful HS program but completely different from Edina.

The arena was packed. First goal goes to Edina and the two sections filled with Edina fans go nuts. Second goal goes to Warroad, and the rest of the entire arena goes crazy. No surprise as to who the crowd favorite was.

I was probably lucky to get out of there when Edina won.
Would love to talk some hockey with you at a tailgate someday (peacefrog, too). The MSHSHT is on my bucket list. What's cool is I have a ticket source.

I love how our very own HASMSP Minnesota native has yet to chime in to help out because of 2314 consistently coming in hot from left field to call us all homos and losers and try to remove our thread from time to time. If 2314 would play nice and post his question in its proper place or even HASMSP he’d probably have whatever answer he’s looking for.

Edit - he posted but didn’t reply to the original question. Outstanding grudge work.
2314 is cool and has "played nice" lately. But, for those you crave a dose of 2314 (ie., Spike), here it goes:
You homos and losers will never see me post on the HASMSP thread. Got to keep the tradition. LOL. Seriously, I have appreciated the input on this thread. Going to have the ol' lap top fired up at 11 am tomorrow. Go White Bear Lake!!!!!

Spike

2314 is cool and has "played nice" lately. But, for those you crave a dose of 2314 (ie., Spike), here it goes:
You homos and losers will never see me post on the HASMSP thread. Got to keep the tradition. LOL. Seriously, I have appreciated the input on this thread. Going to have the ol' lap top fired up at 11 am tomorrow. Go White Bear Lake!!!!!

I thought you were going 2314. Did I get dressed up for this?

Spike

In all seriousness whatever you think of 2314's on board persona he's a diehard Frog and a pretty decent guy in real life.

froginmn

Looks like a more direct link to broadcast is www.prep45.com.

The analyst for these games is former (North) Stars coach Lou Nanne, who had a role with the 80 Olympic team and was depicted in a small role in Miracle.

Because this is the 75th anniversary tourney they have some big names doing games, including Doug McLeod, who is the voice of Gopher hockey.

Last edited:

Looks like a more direct link to broadcast is www.prep44.com.

The analyst for these games is former (North) Stars coach Lou Nanne, who had a role with the 80 Olympic team and was depicted in a small role in Miracle.

Because this is the 75th anniversary tourney they have some big names doing games, including Doug McLeod, who is the voice of Gopher hockey.
Being a hockey dude I am aware of Sweet Lou from the Sioux. I remember when he played for the North Stars. Yes, Prepa44 is where I found it. Big goal there at the end (4-2). If White Bear would have scored on that power play (5 shots on goal) it would be a one-goal game. Blaine looks too strong, however. But you never know; 20 minutes to go...as far as Nanne's role in 1980, the movie makes it look like Nanne did not want Brooks as coach.

Chongo94

I have ZERO knowledge of Minnesota high school hockey, but this Canadian show sums up how I feel some of these guys might act on a daily basis. Language alert: