• The KillerFrogs

Mineral Wells Index: TCU welcomed back 'home'

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
By David May
editor@mineralwellsindex

FORT WORTH – After 16 years of wandering and rising through the college athletics landscape, TCU on Monday was welcomed back home.

The Frogs on Monday officially accepted its invitation to join the Big 12 conference beginning with the 2012-13 season.

That means the Horned Frogs are back living under the same roof with three of its historic in-state athletics rivals in Baylor University, the University of Texas and
Texas Tech University while joining other regional programs including the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University.

TCU was a member of the Southwest Conference beginning in 1923 and winning two national championships but was left behind when the conference disbanded in 1996 to merge with the Big 8 and formed the Big 12. The Frogs have since competed in the Western Athletic Conference, Conference USA and is a current member of the Mountain West. TCU had agreed to join the Big East Conference beginning July 1, 2012, but could not turn down the Big 12's invitation.

“This is a big day in the history of Texas Christian University,” said TCU Chancellor Victor Boschini at a press conference announcing TCU's acceptance. “Joining the Big 12
brings us back to rejoin a rich connection that we share a lot of rivalries with.”

So deep and rich is that tradition with the Texas schools is that the TCU-Baylor football series was the nation's third-longest series when SWC broke apart.

Boschini credited the performance of TCU's athletics programs, especially the baseball team which two seasons ago reached the College World Series and the football team
which over the past decade under head coach Gary Patterson (101-29-0) boasts four conference championships, seven seasons of 10 wins or more, three consecutive seasons ending ranked in the top 10 and last year's perfect 13-0 season capped with a Rose Bowl win over the Wisconsin Badgers.

Attending Monday's conference was interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas, who reminded the purple celebrants he is a Wisconsin grad.

“TCU has traveled a long path, been to different places,” Neinas told Boschini. “Sir, I'd like to welcome you home.”

Neinas noted TCU's stellar graduation rates and academic performance among its student-athletes, as well as its success in competition.

“TCU has an outstanding record with its student-athletes,” said Neinas. “You take a look at their APR and graduation rates and you can see they emphasize student and you look at their success on the field and you can see they emphasize athletes.”

Neinas has been running the 10-team Big 12 Conference for just about two weeks after former Commissioner Dan Bebee stepped down at the insistence of OU after the Sooners were not invited to the Pac-12. As Neinas stepped in and Texas A&M announced it would leave the Big 12 to join the Southeastern Conference, TCU became a more attractive expansion candidate.

“We look forward to having you joining us,” said Neinas. “Everyone knows the history of TCU football.”

TCU Athletics Director Chris Del Conte said things have happened fairly fast in regards to TCU and the Big 12, but not so fast that there were was a lack of conversation and exploration to be sure aligning with the Big 12 was right for TCU.

“When we got that call about 7:42 on Thursday I about passed out,” said Del Conte.

“This is a great day to be a TCU Horned Frog, I can tell you that,” Del Conte stated. “I am absolutely fired up. Today is living proof dreams can come true because of your efforts.”

Del Conte could not say if TCU would be assuming Texas A&M's schedule in football next season. He also declined to elaborate on TCU's reported $5 million exit fee to the Big East, even though TCU is not yet an official member of that conference.

HFrog1999

You'd better not copy the whole article Top, I heard that the Mineral Wells Index (and especially David May) are extremely litigious. I've heard some scary stories about that David May :ph34r:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
You'd better not copy the whole article Top, I heard that the Mineral Wells Index (and especially David May) are extremely litigious. I've heard some scary stories about that David May :ph34r:

Ha. I posted it before there was a link to it. Decided to give that one away free. I wanted to be the first to post an article after the press conference and should have been close. I hammered it out fast (probably too fast, but wanted to get home to watch the Rangers) :p

froginaustin

. . . but not so fast that there were was a lack of conversation and exploration to be sure aligning with the Big 12 was right for TCU.

Any details or follow up on what was conversed about and explored?

Inquiring minds would like to know what the sore spots were or might have been.

:biggrin:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Any details or follow up on what was conversed about and explored?

Inquiring minds would like to know what the sore spots were or might have been.

:biggrin:

Yes, that was my thought, would have been a good post-press conference follow up question but CDC or no one would likely give a specific answer. No doubt the revenue sharing and UT/LHN were questions asked.

Leap Frog

Read this morning that there will be equal revenue sharing. Bet that was a real sticking point, and glad the Frogs were careful.

NativeFrog

By David May
editor@mineralwellsindex

FORT WORTH – After 16 years of wandering and rising through the college athletics landscape, TCU on Monday was welcomed back home.

The Frogs on Monday officially accepted its invitation to join the Big 12 conference beginning with the 2012-13 season.

That means the Horned Frogs are back living under the same roof with three of its historic in-state athletics rivals in Baylor University, the University of Texas and
Texas Tech University while joining other regional programs including the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University.

TCU was a member of the Southwest Conference beginning in 1923 and winning two national championships but was left behind when the conference disbanded in 1996 to merge with the Big 8 and formed the Big 12. The Frogs have since competed in the Western Athletic Conference, Conference USA and is a current member of the Mountain West. TCU had agreed to join the Big East Conference beginning July 1, 2012, but could not turn down the Big 12's invitation.

“This is a big day in the history of Texas Christian University,” said TCU Chancellor Victor Boschini at a press conference announcing TCU's acceptance. “Joining the Big 12
brings us back to rejoin a rich connection that we share a lot of rivalries with.”

So deep and rich is that tradition with the Texas schools is that the TCU-Baylor football series was the nation's third-longest series when SWC broke apart.

Boschini credited the performance of TCU's athletics programs, especially the baseball team which two seasons ago reached the College World Series and the football team
which over the past decade under head coach Gary Patterson (101-29-0) boasts four conference championships, seven seasons of 10 wins or more, three consecutive seasons ending ranked in the top 10 and last year's perfect 13-0 season capped with a Rose Bowl win over the Wisconsin Badgers.

Attending Monday's conference was interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas, who reminded the purple celebrants he is a Wisconsin grad.

“TCU has traveled a long path, been to different places,” Neinas told Boschini. “Sir, I'd like to welcome you home.”

Neinas noted TCU's stellar graduation rates and academic performance among its student-athletes, as well as its success in competition.

“TCU has an outstanding record with its student-athletes,” said Neinas. “You take a look at their APR and graduation rates and you can see they emphasize student and you look at their success on the field and you can see they emphasize athletes.”

Neinas has been running the 10-team Big 12 Conference for just about two weeks after former Commissioner Dan Bebee stepped down at the insistence of OU after the Sooners were not invited to the Pac-12. As Neinas stepped in and Texas A&M announced it would leave the Big 12 to join the Southeastern Conference, TCU became a more attractive expansion candidate.

“We look forward to having you joining us,” said Neinas. “Everyone knows the history of TCU football.”

TCU Athletics Director Chris Del Conte said things have happened fairly fast in regards to TCU and the Big 12, but not so fast that there were was a lack of conversation and exploration to be sure aligning with the Big 12 was right for TCU.

“When we got that call about 7:42 on Thursday I about passed out,” said Del Conte.

“This is a great day to be a TCU Horned Frog, I can tell you that,” Del Conte stated. “I am absolutely fired up. Today is living proof dreams can come true because of your efforts.”

Del Conte could not say if TCU would be assuming Texas A&M's schedule in football next season. He also declined to elaborate on TCU's reported $5 million exit fee to the Big East, even though TCU is not yet an official member of that conference.

Pretty good article. Some good copy editing on it would make it an excellent article from a journalistic viewpoint.

Latest posts