• The KillerFrogs

Miami bows out of Sun Bowl

Prime BEEF

Bowl games have become so ridiculous.

Almost like a whole bunch of back to back to back NFL Pro Bowls. Nobody really wants to play them, nobody cares who wins. How exciting.
It’s just over saturation. Not an achievement anymore. And with early signing period and the resulting coaching carousel it make it seem even less important.

There are 41 FBS teams with 8+ wins. Reduce the number of bowls down to 20 and make 8 wins the requirement for bowl eligibility. Do that and get rid of the early signing period…and bowl season becomes important again.

froginaustin

Were we a late addition? I recall something about it being middle finger from UTEP and the WAC for BYU and Utah moving to the MWC, but were we actually invited abnormally late?

There was a rumor that the head of the Sunbowl Committee** took an official, complaining call from some high-up at the University of Wyoming, and the Sunbowl Committee dude told the Wyoming dude that "there are more television sets inside the city limits of Fort Worth than there are in the whole State of Wyoming", or something to that effect.

** whose day job was at UTEP

froginaustin

Does TCU have enough D-linemen that would be eligible to play in a bowl game to field a team?

Seems to me that a lot of them have walked out the transfer portal.

LSU Game Attendee

I love bowl games but they’ve lost 100% of significance last few years. I’d like them to get reinvented…. Now that we are paying players it seems like the bowl sponsors could offer $10k per player to the winning team or something
The way things are going, the payouts will go to the players of the team that beats the spread. (which still would be pretty awesome)

Wexahu

Could be interesting. The winning team gets a bigger payout, right? What if each player gets a specific cut. High performing players get a bonus. You could even have position bonuses, like if the QB gets sacked less than twice the O-line splits some cash.
All that sounds like stuff I wouldn’t have any interest in as a fan. Would make a mockery of the sport.

froginmn

I think these cancellations will go a long way to helping playoff expansion. If these games meant more, way less bailing wound be going on.
And I wonder if the NCAA is thinking about changing its testing and quarantine policies. Slightly ahead of the CFP, if you know what I mean...