• The KillerFrogs

Men on college rifle teams

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I thought rifle was a Title IX sport. It is called women's rifle, after all. At least at TCU.

It threw me off to see photos of some of the teams TCU was against and see males on the teams. Granted, it's not like men playing on women's basketball teams against women. There are plenty of females who can outshoot a male, but they are taking spots from women in a sport that I thought was created for women.

I did see that Kentucky calls it a coed sport. I suppose Alaska does that too.

Are there males on college equestrian teams? Just surprised as I thought they were created to give women more college scholarship opportunities to balance football and male sports participation and spending.

CryptoMiner

I thought rifle was a Title IX sport. It is called women's rifle, after all. At least at TCU.

It threw me off to see photos of some of the teams TCU was against and see males on the teams. Granted, it's not like men playing on women's basketball teams against women. There are plenty of females who can outshoot a male, but they are taking spots from women in a sport that I thought was created for women.

Are there males on college equestrian teams? Just surprised as I thought they were created to give women more college scholarship opportunities to balance football and male sports participation and spending.

NCAA Rifle is a non-gender specific sport but at TCU it is a women's team

10 Key Frog

TCU is one of, if not the only college team that competes as an all women’s team. It’s primarily a coed sport, but I think we keep ours as women's to help with title IX considerations.

rtpfrog

Yes, I knew some of the guys on the team in the mid to late 70's. We were very competitive, but did not offer scholarships. The sport was funded somewhere between a club and full varsity sport.
Yes, I knew some of the guys on the team in the mid to late 70's. We were very competitive, but did not offer scholarships. The sport was funded somewhere between a club and full varsity sport.
Men were on the rifle team in the 70s. Funding came from multiple sources including the Student House and Army ROTC. Early on many of the team members were enrolled in Army ROTC. George Beck was the head Coach, retired Airborne. The assistant coach was SFC Hines, Special Forces. TCUs Rifle team started as an extramural rather than a varsity sport . This was the norm, at the time of the 300 college rifle teams, 95 percent of the programs begin as part of ROTC before becoming varsity sports. Notable members from the 70s teams: Phi Beta Kappa member. Sue Ann Sandusky, won two gold medals at an international tournament held in Mexico City, in 1973. The TCU 1976 national champion team had three All Americans- Allen Cuniff, Bill Kovaric and David Tubb, three out of only 20 All-Americans chosen that year. Sue Ann was inducted into the TCU Lettermen’s Hall of Fame in 2017. David Tubb is considered one of the best, and winningest, competitive rifleman in history. He has won (to date) a record eleven NRA National High Power Rifle Championship titles at Camp Perry, Ohio, 30 individual National Championship titles in all four rifle categories. seven Sportsmen's Team Challenge Championships along with six NRA Long Range Rifle (600-1000 yd.) National Championships, including his latest win in 2011 during which he also won his second Wimbledon Cup.

Virginia Frog

Men were on the rifle team in the 70s. Funding came from multiple sources including the Student House and Army ROTC. Early on many of the team members were enrolled in Army ROTC. George Beck was the head Coach, retired Airborne. The assistant coach was SFC Hines, Special Forces. TCUs Rifle team started as an extramural rather than a varsity sport . This was the norm, at the time of the 300 college rifle teams, 95 percent of the programs begin as part of ROTC before becoming varsity sports. Notable members from the 70s teams: Phi Beta Kappa member. Sue Ann Sandusky, won two gold medals at an international tournament held in Mexico City, in 1973. The TCU 1976 national champion team had three All Americans- Allen Cuniff, Bill Kovaric and David Tubb, three out of only 20 All-Americans chosen that year. Sue Ann was inducted into the TCU Lettermen’s Hall of Fame in 2017. David Tubb is considered one of the best, and winningest, competitive rifleman in history. He has won (to date) a record eleven NRA National High Power Rifle Championship titles at Camp Perry, Ohio, 30 individual National Championship titles in all four rifle categories. seven Sportsmen's Team Challenge Championships along with six NRA Long Range Rifle (600-1000 yd.) National Championships, including his latest win in 2011 during which he also won his second Wimbledon Cup.
This post is GOLD.

There's nothing like personal testimony like this to add to the canon of TCU Sports via KF.c. Otherwise, many of us here would've never known about these "players" and their championship efforts at our school.

TCU sports in the mid '70s was tainted by the "Jim Shoffner Blues" (football) and these Rifle folks proved TCU's sports success in such a dark era.

AroundWorldFrog

David Tubb is considered one of the best, and winningest, competitive rifleman in history. He has won (to date) a record eleven NRA National High Power Rifle Championship titles at Camp Perry, Ohio, 30 individual National Championship titles in all four rifle categories. seven Sportsmen's Team Challenge Championships along with six NRA Long Range Rifle (600-1000 yd.) National Championships, including his latest win in 2011 during which he also won his second Wimbledon Cup.
But did he ever beat Jack Reacher?

/jk, good stuff with a lot of history I'm sure none of us know. That's an impressive list of wins.

EUROFROG

Sue Ann was a very nice person as well as shooter. My roommate at TCU during her years there was the only blind student on campus. He needed people to read class textbooks our loud to him every day. She volunteered a couple of hours each week to be a reader for him.